Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2009, 15:16   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Well he has done something with the 2T pipeline motor, so it has started.

And yes air can smoothly run a turbine present in the meter, instead of a liquid (i.e. petrol)
Having a pump in the family for the past 40+ years may be I can state this.

The calibrating mechanism (fuel meter) is in the box where the dispenser hose is attached.

The metering happens when the fuel is pumped up from the underground tank and pumped to the dispensing hose.

There are air bubble reducing filters in the pump, air will not be counted as part of quantity dispensed. There is no threat of air being mixed in the quantity dispensed in petrol atleast.

If so there would be a vapour lock at some time or the other ( air blocking the pump, the pump is naturally not made to pump up air, its a fluid pump)

You can be rest assured, that no amount of air is going to be counted on the meter as fuel flowing to your tank. you can check this at all and any PSU pumps where they have a five litre burrette which can be filled and caliberated to show you the actual quantity dispensed and the meter reading.

This is your right.

Last but not the least, the 2T pump is independent of the fuel pump which blends in 2T on the dispensing nozzle.

Air will not enter, its a gravity feed pump, in simpler words, the pump pushing up the 2t will only fill the 2t burrette (glass tube) and not pump in air into the flow hole.
Even if it does pump into the nozzle dispensing fuel into your car, it is not metered and hence you are not charged for it.

Hope this helps

Regards
mmmjgm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2009, 18:20   #17
BHPian

Wow very well explained by mmmjgm

@loving_alaap: Bro dont worry you haven't been cheated !!

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 7th April 2009 at 18:22. Reason: typo
Old 21st April 2009, 20:13   #18
BHPian

Got to know a new way to cheat customers. It happened on Sat at HSR layout pump
I asked for 1700 bucks petrol for my SX4 actually I meant 1600(my Sx4 full tank takes this just before it come to reserve) but 1700 slipped from my tongue.
He set the meter at 1700 and shown me zero and started filling the petrol.

At 1500 plus I asked the person to hold the pipe in hand as tank would be full any time. He stopped at 1511 approx and asked to see inside the tank. I grew suspicious how one can see inside the tank. Anyway I peeped into the tank but before that I saw meter was showing 1511. I realized it can take some more as it usually take 1600 bucks petrol easily.
I saw the meter to say fill it till 1600 but to my horror it was showing 1685. I saw one person standing near to meter with hands on it. I shouted at him and called the supervisor immediately.

When I told him SX4 cannot take this much then he said something to attendant and he manages to bring back the same figure ie 1511. I guess he brought the last sale value.
When I was peeping inside he smartly made it 1685 as new sale as he was not able to start from 1511 when I asked him to do so.
My credit card was already swiped for 1700 so he returned me 190 and I drove back after registering complaint which I know never be seen.
Guys please beware of this method.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2009 at 20:43. Reason: Merged on request.
Old 30th September 2014, 20:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol pump cheating?

A recent one where he has shared a video:

Quote:
This video explains how the guys at Bharath Petroleum fuel station cheat and rob your money. This incident took place at their Mount Road outlet near the old SUN TV office ( franchisee: Ashwini automobiles)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152277250687845

NOTE TO MODS: Please move it to the correct thread if needed. Also, the video URL is facebook one and not youtube, hence unable to embed the same.
Old 13th April 2015, 23:47   #20
BHPian

Off topic: Cheated at Petrol Pump

While the 954 was getting itself treated I had been out on a long drive with the Accord and was stuck on the old Mum-Pune Road for 6 to 8 hours due to adulterated petrol filled in by Heera Pumps at Khalapur Naka.
Filled 50L of petrol at this Pump and immediately after a Kilometer the car stopped and refused to start, tried to figure out what happen and was not able to make out, was getting spark and also the fuel pump primed each time i turned the key. Engine would try to fire up and die immediately. No errors on the dash made me crazy. Called a local mech whose number was mentioned on a wall on the road side. He came and pulled of the main fuel line and found it was water instead of fuel which was going in to the TB. Took his scooter and went to the pump and asked the fellow, and this guy started abusing me. Angrily banged him a tight slap on his face and called the Indian Oil guy whose number was mentioned at the Pump and gave him left and right over the phone. Then they sent me a rescue vehicle from another pump from the same area with two mechanic and first we tried to drain out the petrol from the main line but it was pain to toggle the key for 100ml of fuel and with that 75 L of tank under the rear seat. So we decided to remove the pump and drain the entire tank as the water content was too high and it would damage the engine. Indian Oil paid for the mechanics service charge and also filled in 75L of fresh fuel after the cleaning of the tank was done. have a look at the pics. Thank God i was alone with my father, kids and ladies at home else it would been a night mare for them to struggle on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol pump cheating?-img_5214.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5215.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5216.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5217.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5218.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5219.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5220.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5221.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5222.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5223.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5224.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5225.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5226.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5227.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5228.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5232.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5233.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5234.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5231.jpg  

Petrol pump cheating?-img_5235.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th April 2015 at 10:55. Reason: post moved to relevant thread
yogisays0909 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 08:59   #21

Re: Off topic: Cheated at Petrol Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
While the 954 was getting itself treated I had been out on a long drive with the Accord and was stuck on the old Mum-Pune Road for 6 to 8 hours due to adulterated petrol filled in by Heera Pumps at Khalapur Naka.
Filled 50L of petrol at this Pump and immediately after a Kilometer the car stopped and refused to start, tried to figure out what happen and was not able to make out, was getting spark and also the fuel pump primed each time i turned the key. Engine would try to fire up and die immediately. No errors on the dash made me crazy. Called a local mech whose number was mentioned on a wall on the road side. He came and pulled of the main fuel line and found it was water instead of fuel which was going in to the TB. Took his scooter and went to the pump and asked the fellow, and this guy started abusing me. Angrily banged him a tight slap on his face and called the Indian Oil guy whose number was mentioned at the Pump and gave him left and right over the phone. Then they sent me a rescue vehicle from another pump from the same area with two mechanic and first we tried to drain out the petrol from the main line but it was pain to toggle the key for 100ml of fuel and with that 75 L of tank under the rear seat. So we decided to remove the pump and drain the entire tank as the water content was too high and it would damage the engine. Indian Oil paid for the mechanics service charge and also filled in 75L of fresh fuel after the cleaning of the tank was done. have a look at the pics. Thank God i was alone with my father, kids and ladies at home else it would been a night mare for them to struggle on the road.
I can Imagine your agony, this is the only reason I never fill up from a Indian oil bunk having two bad experiences from Indian oil. The one which is newly opened at Goregaon on western express highway,they looted me for 500+ bucks of petrol I had asked the guy to fill up for 1500 for my Swift he never showed me the Zero marking on the meter and in a matter of seconds the guy filling up came up for the payment, I have a habit to check for distance to empty that's when I noticed that the fuel gauge needle never came up!! on noticing I asked the guy about it he replied with a wage "Hota hai saaab thodi der me katta aajayega upar" thats when I raised my voice and called out for their manager, I bashed him about the same he then directed to the guy to fill the particular amount mentioned by me, and my fuel gauge needle came up.
My company manufactures CNG Dispensers for IOCL and BPCL once I had a colleague with me who is into servicing for this Dispensers I mentioned this incident to him and he told me that these people have a lever at the nozzle to which they modify for the internal motor to run so the digits on the meter will keep on increasing but no fuel will be pumped.I had also got a whatsapp circulated video for the same.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th April 2015 at 10:56. Reason: post moved to the relevant thread
Old 14th April 2015, 12:33   #22
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Got to know a new way to cheat customers. It happened on Sat at HSR layout pump
Which pump in HSR? Please share details of the pump.
Old 14th April 2015, 13:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Which pump in HSR? Please share details of the pump.
Near HSR BDA complex HP Petrol Pump
I had AMEX Gift card so again went today to this petrol pump (AMEX card has no surcharge at HP Petrol pumps) and again they tried to fool me by saying he cannot enter 4 digit password written on AMEX cards as he don;t know how to read and asked me to enter. I sensed something fishy and asked how did you enter the amount in machine (2000 bucks) and I saw towards the petrol dispensing machine. In the meantime another guy did the trick of stopping the machine and entered my amount asked to fool me. When I asked why he stopped the machine he said something happened and don't know how much petrol is dispensed.To stop the damage I cancelled my card transaction.
I saw at least 1800 bucks petrol was already dispensed and I cleverly told only 800 bucks petrol is dispensed. Now he had no other way and he took the printout of history from machine (5 last transaction) which showed 1808 bucks petrol was dispensed. He filled the rest. I swiped the card again and complaint to the office and left.
Lesson learnt : Never give card before full petrol is filled even you are in hurry
: Always keep your eye on machine.
: Don't get distracted if they ask which card/password etc.
Avoid such petrol pumps and visit Shell.
aka_iitd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 18:12   #24
Team-BHP Support

Note from Team-BHP Support: Thread closed. Please continue the discussion on the existing thread
Link
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks