Team-BHP - Heads up: Suzuki's new K12-M engine launched
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Heads up: Suzuki's new K12-M engine launched (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/56819-heads-up-suzukis-new-k12-m-engine-launched.html)

Hi Guys,

Suzuki has launched its K12M engine yesterday. This is the one that is to power the new Ritz when it gets launched in May '09. Follow the link below for more details

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

Regards

Sanket

Beautiful, just under the 1.2L mark for tax benefits. Should we expect this engine in the Swift as well?

Quote:

Torque: 11.5kgm@4500rpm
Let's hope that the low end torque delivery is better than in the Swift petrol. No graphs but the number is identical to that of the Swifts (and thus not too encouraging)

I have posted the details of the engine in the thread mentioned as below (post#127).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-2009-a-9.html

Specs seems to be better than Hyundai's Kappa. Hopefully, swift also get this engine and excise benifits pased on to the customers.

This engine, if it can revel like the Astar mill (km01??) then it's going to be a hit for sure.

There has been reports that it has the same characteristics like the km01. Fuel efficiency figures which is the most attracting thingy in this segment seems to be great. Power will be just adequate too, not something to write home about. Hope it does good enough in the low end torque department.

Is this the first instance of an ENGINE being launched in India?

Well, nice specs!
This seems to be most powerful among 1.2s i.e. Kappa & i -vtec (expected in Jazz).

@ Ram NP - It may be Kappa ka Baap as you have pointed in your referred post , ultimately, Suzuki is mother of all small engines! So, this could well be "mai- baap" for MUL for their future.

Some new thingy like resin coating on pistons to reduce friction, plastic parts in engine :eek:

Anyone having an idea about the temperature range inside an IC engine. What type of resin this could be to withstand such high temperature?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 1262014)

I guess so,Steer ( though I may be wrong). Anyway, with launching an engine (as compared to a new model/variant), does this mean that the engine can be bought off the shelf?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1261843)
Should we expect this engine in the Swift as well?

Yes, the current swift engine won't be able to meet bharat stage 5 norms, and when they come into place, this will be the engine that will go in the swift too.

Maruti will get the K series in all it cars to make them compliant with the new norms, There was an interview on all the news channels from maruti officials, when they announced the phasing out of the 800 form next year.

How about a nice 1.6L 100 bhp engine launch for a change? I think this country has more than its fair share of 1-1.2L engines now.

Its confusing! What does it all mean when they say an Engine is being launched?

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak (Post 1262005)
TThere has been reports that it has the same characteristics like the km01.

That only means:

- High on fuel efficiency
- Coarse at high rpms (where have the revv-happy Jan engines gone?!!)
- Average'ish city driveability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 1262014)

lol: Good point. Too bad we couldn't save it for a V8 or a V12!

Quote:

Originally Posted by d3mon (Post 1262394)
Yes, the current swift engine won't be able to meet bharat stage 5 norms, and when they come into place, this will be the engine that will go in the swift too.

Thought as much. The cost-cutting king that Maruti is, it wouldn't have made sense to produce two 80 odd BHP 4 cylinder engines that are within a 100 cc of each other.

Next question : Is this the end of the Gypsy King then? The 1.3L doesn't meet BS V norms and a 1.2L will be so horribly out of place in a 4x4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1262529)
where have the revv-happy Jan engines gone?!!

VTEC is the last fortress I guess. :D

Didn't Hyundai make a big ruckus about the Kappa engine as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1262529)
Is this the end of the Gypsy King then? The 1.3L doesn't meet BS V norms and a 1.2L will be so horribly out of place in a 4x4.

What about the 1.6 on the baleno/SX4 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by muneemmk (Post 1262793)
What about the 1.6 on the baleno/SX4 ?

Isn't that the M series engine, but I dont know if it can be mounted on the Gypsy without some re-engineering on the monocoque, it is likely that the mounting points are different.