Team-BHP - Cops cracking down hard on dark tints!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Cops cracking down hard on dark tints! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/56826-cops-cracking-down-hard-dark-tints.html)

And this time, they are well-prepared!! Remember how they'd use a naked eye to decide whether your tints meet the norms or not? Well, now the Mumbai Traffic Police is using pro-grade equipment : American Tint-Meters.

Can't argue with their reasoning though. I love dark tints, but will be the first to admit they restrict driver visibility at night and that the concealed interiors can be used for anti-social activities.

Quote:

The police have imported at least 25 tint meters from the USA for the drive and have distributed them to the various traffic divisions in the city.

The Act stipulates that the rear and front glasses should let in at least 70% of sunlight and the side glasses at least 50%. But, according to the traffic police, many vehicles in Mumbai violate the norms. On the first day of the drive on April 11, the traffic police filed cases against 211 car owners and fined them Rs100 each. Incidentally, most violations -- 76 of the 211 cases -- were recorded in South Mumbai.

On April 12, 170 motorists were fined.

A batch of 15 policemen was trained last week to use the meters and 30 more are expected to be trained this week. "The machines are simple to use and effective," Sashi Honawar, managing director, Cosmic Traffic Systems Pvt Ltd, the sole distributors, said.

The meter to measure the tint of side glasses costs Rs30,000 each. The one that measures the tint of the front and back glasses costs around Rs1 lakh.

The drive is primarily for security reason, traffic police officers said. "Some glasses are so dark that policemen can barely see the person sitting inside," SS Solunkhe, deputy commissioner of police, headquarter, said. "This poses a serious security concern," he said. "Several elite people use the darkest film citing security concerns and for privacy," a traffic policeman said.
Source : DNA India Article

It may be recollected that Hassan Gafoor had promised to get tint meters on the field, only in December. Quick turnaround, wot?

Quote:

"We will use tint meters to check dark films. In case of violation, the film will be removed on the spot.''.
Times of India Article

I hope they can implement rules uniformly and consistently. In Bengaluru, the last time around, they gave up on it after a few days because the 'elite' people complained against the drive.

Gosh! I'm going to have a tough time, if I get caught in Bengaluru!
By the way, whats the fine going to be like?
I got em tints for 2 reasons:
1) Beat some heat
2) I don't want ruffians to know who (M/F) is behind the wheel after sunset.

Won't work. Atleast not in Mumbai. After the first few days once the fad is over it is only going to take 200-500rs to drive off.

I'm not saying bribe them, but this is how mumbai police is, sadly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1260931)
I love dark tints, but will be the first to admit they restrict driver visibility at night

Yes, dark tint restrict driver visibility at night.
Got experience of this poor visibility through tinted glass and hit the dog running after cat at 0230 hours in the night while coming back from team-bhp meet at sunny da dhaaba on 28/3/9.

Its better to rectify the tint for our own safety rather than pushed and fined by cops.

In Punjab, there are already strict norms regarding the use of tinted films.
I guess its all got to do with lax policing & inability/lack to catch real criminals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gagan.js (Post 1260963)
Won't work. Atleast not in Mumbai. After the first few days once the fad is over it is only going to take 200-500rs to drive off.

I'm not saying bribe them, but this is how mumbai police is, sadly.

Good initiative on paper, but its effectiveness will be very limited due to our greedy cops. Even during the DUI campaign, I have seen drunk drivers being let off after they paid the cops 200-500 bucks as a bribe (so effectively, that is the value of a potential human life being lost for our cops :Shockked:)
This will also become another money-making racket for the pandus. There will just be a little media hype created by the cops at the start, and then degenerate into a cash cow for the cops. Sad but inevitable.

I know Delhi is also strict about this.

In Bengaluru, I have seen cars belonging to film stars with real black tints. Its ultimately the willingness of the government and not just the cops. They themselves are not sure and willing. (sigh, everything comes and stops at these incompetents)

mumbai ke MAMAs (traffic police constables) also called as THOLS, Thullas, etc are Notorious for Harrassing Urban Civilised/Law-abiding Drivers ,,, They always Intend to Interrupt Office/ Job heading Individuals are Extract Money by Threatening of various shortfalls in Papers or Vehicle

They do no Good for Improving Traffic Flow/ Traffic Speed
You can find many many people stopping their vehicle in Amidst of Road , parking at Road Corners , etc etc ....thus instead of Improving the Traffic Flow in General ,,these GREEDY mumbai MAMAs target Individuals in Particular :deadhorse

You can find Lots of People , Autowallas ,Tata ACEs ,piaggio APES ,Taxis STROLLING in Slow Speeds in Middle/Fast lanes :Frustrati ,,Mamas will never take Notice of them

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick030581 (Post 1261025)
Good initiative on paper, but its effectiveness will be very limited due to our greedy cops. Even during the DUI campaign, I have seen drunk drivers being let off after they paid the cops 200-500 bucks as a bribe (so effectively, that is the value of a potential human life being lost for our cops :Shockked:)
This will also become another money-making racket for the pandus. There will just be a little media hype created by the cops at the start, and then degenerate into a cash cow for the cops. Sad but inevitable.

This initiative seems to be good if kept up with. About the tints, there are goods sulblock films available which have a very low tint, so pefect for night driving.

What would happen to the scores of scorpios/safaris/sumos that are being used for the election campaigns ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning2 (Post 1261140)
mumbai ke MAMAs ,nothing but Harrassment to Drivers

Lightning2,

This is a simple issue of safety.

1) Visibility can be compromised with dark tints.

2) Its incredibly unsafe (and not to mention scary) for a policeman to approach a car with dark tints. There could be someone in there pointing a gun straight at the cop and he wouldn't have a clue.

If people have been told at the very place that they install the sunfilm that "this one is not RTO approved" and they still chose it - how can you call this harassment to drivers and blame the cops?

Surely they are far from perfect, and the system leaves a LOT to be desired -- but when they do take an initiative (which they have been doing a lot lately - eg. helmets required, seatbelts the law, DUI crackdown, stop before line campain, cardboard cop cutouts etc) - i think it should be applauded, not criticized, as it is one small step in the right direction.

cya
R

Does theses meters recognize the so called RTO approved films??

Or these American meters even detect them as illegal?

Rehaan
I have not criticized this current action of them in Particular

But I have Highlighted many other Actions which is Very well under their Capability,which will do MUCH more for improved Traffic Flow/Accidents instead of Just Ganging in Red light Circle and showing Hand to Bikers / Commercial vehicles and finding faults in their Papers..:rules:

Here I will also like to mention that Policemen in Mumbai i.e prior to Chembur are much Considerate/Less Greedy than those in Suburbs say Mulund, Bhandup, Vashi (most shameless), Airoli, Belapur & Panvel ,,having came across them personally at various instances. Few of my Society Residents have also Pointed out at Shredness of Uniformed Men in Navi Mumbai

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 1261217)
Lightning2,

This is a simple issue of safety.

1) Visibility can be compromised with dark tints.

2) Its incredibly unsafe (and not to mention scary) for a policeman to approach a car with dark tints. There could be someone in there pointing a gun straight at the cop and he wouldn't have a clue.

If people have been told at the very place that they install the sunfilm that "this one is not RTO approved" and they still chose it - how can you call this harassment to drivers and blame the cops?

Surely they are far from perfect, and the system leaves a LOT to be desired -- but when they do take an initiative (which they have been doing a lot lately - eg. helmets required, seatbelts the law, DUI crackdown, stop before line campain, cardboard cop cutouts etc) - i think it should be applauded, not criticized, as it is one small step in the right direction.

cya
R

They just show the cops how much VLT (Visible Light Transmission) your sunfilm has. From that they know whether its legal or not. Simple.