Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 17:45   #1
D-Man

Maruti to develop Cars Independently

Just found this online that Maruti suzuki is set to develop cars in india from scratch. They are scouting for expats.

here is a link to the article

Maruti set to develop cars independently- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th May 2009 at 17:50. Reason: Removed Color tag

Old 12th May 2009, 20:39   #2
BHPian

Long day so I don't really understand the article, is maruti making it's own cars or is suzuki making their own cars since they will invest 2Billion, and suzuki wants maruti to become a full fledged car company, won't that hurt suzuki?

Errr enlighten me
Old 12th May 2009, 20:44   #3
D-Man

Long story short? Maruti has only resold models in India uptill now like most International collaborations does. They shall now start making cars from scratch. This may entail India exporting Suzuki cars to RHD countries and so it could end up being profitable for suzuki.

Since they are hiring expats (professionals of possible foreign origin) from different companies we might see some design that might seem copied. Like what TATA did with Sierra or Estate and later kept denying it.

Old 13th May 2009, 00:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

This story is similar to the news flash projecting Mayawatiji as PM i saw , in my dreams last night. Will we be seeing more D'Zire like hunchbacks on the road?. I shudder.

Last edited by nickatnite : 13th May 2009 at 00:59.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:47   #5
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
This story is similar to the news flash projecting Mayawatiji as PM i saw , in my dreams last night. Will we be seeing more D'Zire like hunchbacks on the road?. I shudder.
Or it could be that Maruti increased its stake in this venture and wants to build some cars independently. But I think that would be in the news too. Will some more research on this and post on this thread.

Old 13th May 2009, 12:34   #6
BHPian

So, we might expect further deterioration in the quality & people will again be mad for the product (not car)
Old 13th May 2009, 12:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
Or it could be that Maruti increased its stake in this venture and wants to build some cars independently. But I think that would be in the news too. Will some more research on this and post on this thread.

Suzuki always wanted Maruti to take more responsibilities and a portion of Astar development was done by the maruti in India as a first step. Logically speaking this is the next step expected.
Old 13th May 2009, 13:32   #8
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
Astar development was done by the maruti in India as a first step.
Personally to me A Star is weird. Was the designed based in India? I am not a fan of these hatch backs so consider me ignorant. I yet imagine that suzuki would still draw baselines for them.

Old 13th May 2009, 13:39   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

100% this will need to be a licensing arrangement between maruti and suzuki - iam sure that suzuki's lawyers will never let go of their intellectual capital this easily
and frankly if the Dezire (ugly creature) is anything to go by, I, for one, am NOT looking forward to any of these strange re-hashed jobs by Maruti's indigenous design - according to me, they have absolutely no sense of the aesthetics of car design. therefore, why not leave the design to the experts and focus on what they do best, which is create "utility value" and "inexpensive maintenance" and so on?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks