Team-BHP - Number plates in languages other than English
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Number plates in languages other than English (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/5886-number-plates-languages-other-than-english.html)

Recently, noticed that many Cars in Mumbai are with number plates not written in English. In once case instead of MH it was written Maharashtra in hindi/marathi (the alphabets are almost similarly written)

Is it okay ?

Is it allowed ? i doubt , and if not, why law enforcing agencies are so lacksidal about this.

Team -bhpians .. how we can contribute to improve the issue . May be like clicking pictures of these number plates and sending to some authority for corrective action etc.. etc....

Views and comments awaited

hah ...seen an old merc E with american registration in delhi ,GK2 blue colour ..

Quote:

Is it allowed ? i doubt , and if not, why law enforcing agencies are so lacksidal about this
Not allowed. Even I've seen quite a few cars with such plates. They're a big headache if you want to note down the number of the car.

Legally, it's not allowed. But then the cops look the other way because if they catch you, you could make a big noise about a lack of respect for the local language etc. Basically fan the jingoistic flames a bit.

But!!!.... here in Bangalore people are getting smart! All the guys with KL and TN plates who don't want to re-pay taxes here go and paint their plates in Kannada. So in Kannada, it reads TN/KL xxxx. The cops only see a flash of Kannada and presume it's local! Brilliant!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r
But!!!.... here in Bangalore people are getting smart! All the guys with KL and TN plates who don't want to re-pay taxes here go and paint their plates in Kannada. So in Kannada, it reads TN/KL xxxx. The cops only see a flash of Kannada and presume it's local! Brilliant!!!

That is WILD!!!!! Should suggest it to a couple of friends ;-)

its a crime to use number plates in any other language than english.

thats a embassy vehicle you are refering to.

I am not sure if this has been raised before but last night I saw a vehicle in front of me, with its number plates completely written in the local language.

Is this allowed? Isnt there a rule according to the Motor Vehicles Act and RTO that all vehicle number plates need to conform to a particular font, size, colour and of course, to be in the English Alphabet with Arabic Numerals?

Please share views. Sorry about the pics - they were taken while the vehicle in front and my own vehicle were in motion.

Cheerio

This is very prominent. Last night I saw an AP registered car with the number in the local language. I am not sure of the rules about this, but if anyone raises an objection then there will be a problem from certain groups.
If anyone raises an objection, then the response to that would be that: everybody in the state should know how to read\write the local language.

Yes this is illegal. You may have the number plate in local language as long as you have the number plate in English/Arabic(numbers) also.

I have seen many AP registered vehicles with black board (black background, white foreground). Black boards were phased out in 2001/2002 times.

Even I have seen lot of car's in Maharashtra and in Gujarat having no. plat's in Marathi and in gujarati. This should be Illegal. - I think.

Number Plates to be in Kannada in Karnataka

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1102522)

Sorry to read this.:Frustrati

Rivora,

why should you be sorry to read this! It clearly complies with number plate to be displayed both in English and Local language!! So i guess this is fine as long as we can read the number plate in English!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1102522)

This is only for Govt vehicles, still makes it illegal under the MV Act