Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2005, 21:20   #16
BHPian

I never really like the chink it looks sooo simple i think it was the green one on display at the mumbai motor show was there well it could use more anti roll bars and a more powerfull engine!
Old 8th June 2005, 03:15   #17
BHPian

Ive even heard that these people take orders for a GT40 replica.Wonder what engine will be used for it and how will the build quality be?
Old 8th June 2005, 08:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikibusa
Ive even heard that these people take orders for a GT40 replica.Wonder what engine will be used for it and how will the build quality be?
I am not sure but I remember them talking with me and Aditya saying that the GT40 replica will have the 2.7 litre V6 from the Sonata, Sonata brakes too.
Old 8th June 2005, 08:44   #19
BHPian

I seriously doubt the GT40. It'll look good all right but a all fibre plastic body for indian roads? Its ok for the roadster or the jeep. But for the GT40 i have my doubts.

The roadster would be a great buy if only it were a bit more cheaper.
Old 8th June 2005, 10:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
It'll look good all right but a all fibre plastic body for indian roads?
Whats wrong with fibreglass as long as the chassis is stiff? I've seen some dolphin bodies lasting forever in our weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Do you know what chassis the Chinkara uses? The STANDARD HERALDS!!! Thats a freaking 4 decade old economy design. Can you just imagine the limitations it would have in terms of handling the power and going around corners!!
The Herald is not a car to be laughed at. I've seen a modified Herald/Triumph win a race at Sriperambudur (long long time ago), and the field included a Jag..........also remember Heralds happily climbing the Ooty ghats when I was still a kid where Ambys and Fiats were huffing and puffing along.

I'm not justifying what the guy has done, and agree that its an ancient chassis, but perhaps that's the best he could source for this particular application. It must've been difficult to get hold of a Herald chassis in this age, so it wouldnt have been because he was too lazy to find a good chassis.

However, its not acceptable at a price of Rs.7 Lakhs. Lets see what the main components cost: old Herald Chassis - Rs.2,500? Isuzu engine Rs.30,000/- ? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Good business to be in.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th June 2005 at 10:10.
Old 8th June 2005, 10:15   #21
BHPian

The dolphin is all fibre plastic? i didnt know. Sorry.

I thought fibre plastic would break on impact and would need to be replaced. So thought at my native place where a bike guy crashes in to my car every other day, it would be all but impossible to drive that car.
Old 8th June 2005, 14:06   #22
BANNED

Well after having a good look at the site i am looking confused.

Firstly.. the Chinkara goes from 0 - 100 in 7.6secs and gives average of 13kpl.. ok you may call it overpriced..

But the Chinkara Jeepster goes from 0 - 100 in 9.2 secs out beating a Vtec and also gives 13kpl and has a price of 4 lacs..

Wonder when will these cars see the light of the day??
Old 8th June 2005, 15:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonder when will these cars see the light of the day??
They already have i guess. You can buy them as of today. I think they mean an average of 13kmpl (city and highway combined) which is pretty good.

Shan2nu
Old 8th June 2005, 16:51   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The Herald is not a car to be laughed at. I've seen a modified Herald/Triumph win a race at Sriperambudur (long long time ago), and the field included a Jag..........also remember Heralds happily climbing the Ooty ghats when I was still a kid where Ambys and Fiats were huffing and puffing along.
The Standard Herald was a fantastic car. My grandfather had a 1968 model (with a 'Made in England' Triumph engine) and I learnt how to drive in that car. We sold it off in 1991.

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....ardheraldf.htm

hrag
Old 8th June 2005, 17:18   #25
BANNED

But shan is it worth a buy with no Power steering no power windows actually no windows and it goes well what about brakes.. can it handle the speeds that you throw at it..

I wanna know is it worth at buy at that price??
Old 8th June 2005, 18:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanna know is it worth at buy at that price??
We don't know how the cars are these days. they used to be bad when it came out but things improve. So unless you actually test drive one off those machines today, you'll never know.

If i was on the look out for a raw fast car, i'd buy it. You can always work on it and improve it. This is a car for the enthusiasts. Unless you're willing to experiment with it, you shouldn't buy.

Shan2nu
Old 8th June 2005, 22:15   #27
BANNED

Well if its about modding a car then why wont i buy any car and mod it to beat the hell out of that Chinky..LOL..

Well are the comapnys offering test drives??
Old 8th June 2005, 22:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well if its about modding a car then why wont i buy any car and mod it to beat the hell out of that Chinky..LOL..
That's upto you.

Shan2nu
Old 8th June 2005, 23:08   #29
BHPian

Nice.. so, does any teambhpian owns any chinkara vehicle?
Suraj
Old 9th June 2005, 00:42   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, I have seen a Honda Civic beating the bulbs out of a Ferrari at an east coast drag. What does that prove?

I am talking about 2005. And offering a car based on a 40 year old design as a "sporty machine" is certainly something to be laughed at. All show and no go.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks