Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 20:49   #16
Team-BHP Support

Well, its no one's fault and its everyone's fault, depending on the perspective.

Let me clarify. Do you know how Google's online advertising system works? They have the extremely popular AdWords program. Here the potential advertisers buy the words which trigger their ads. The AdWords executives amongst other things also sell these adwords to the potential clients. More words they can sell and moreover the more accurate ones they can sell means the more often the ad gets shown. So that translates for a win-win for everyone.

Now obviously GM has been suggested or at least has agreed to pick Punto as one of the adwords to which they want to trigger their ad display. Nothing wrong there. Obviously when you know someone is in the market for a product where you are also competing you would obviously want to make a pitch. So nothing wrong if GM wants you to also check out their "incredibly spacious" car when you say you are interested in a Punto.

Now look at the content of the Ad. Actual content. It never says anything about it being about a Punto. In fact if you see carefully the URL next to the ad line clearly shows you that clicking it will take you to the GM site for UVA. As far as the Punto word in bold at the top of the ad is concerned, well, that is unfortunate. But the way the adword system works (the way I understand it) is that it shows you the keyword that triggered the Ad display. So you searched for Punto or your mail had the word Punto in it and that triggered the UVA ad.

So you see? No reason to blow hot and cold over it. GM is actually not at all trying to fool you here. They are just pitching for their product here as any good salesman should. Its the Adword system which is at fault if at all. So go pick a bone with Google here.
Old 20th June 2009, 21:40   #17

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Quasar is the agency that does web advertising for Skoda too. They do a lot of web advertising / web hosting / for auto companies .

cheers,
ac
Not forgetting to mention one of the most successful Online Campaigns in India ever for MakeMyTrip.com & the not so successful Microsoft's Buy Original MS.
Old 20th June 2009, 21:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Well, its no one's fault and its everyone's fault, depending on the perspective.

Let me clarify. Do you know how Google's online advertising system works? They have the extremely popular AdWords program. Here the potential advertisers buy the words which trigger their ads. The AdWords executives amongst other things also sell these adwords to the potential clients. More words they can sell and moreover the more accurate ones they can sell means the more often the ad gets shown. So that translates for a win-win for everyone.

Now obviously GM has been suggested or at least has agreed to pick Punto as one of the adwords to which they want to trigger their ad display. Nothing wrong there. Obviously when you know someone is in the market for a product where you are also competing you would obviously want to make a pitch. So nothing wrong if GM wants you to also check out their "incredibly spacious" car when you say you are interested in a Punto.

Now look at the content of the Ad. Actual content. It never says anything about it being about a Punto. In fact if you see carefully the URL next to the ad line clearly shows you that clicking it will take you to the GM site for UVA. As far as the Punto word in bold at the top of the ad is concerned, well, that is unfortunate. But the way the adword system works (the way I understand it) is that it shows you the keyword that triggered the Ad display. So you searched for Punto or your mail had the word Punto in it and that triggered the UVA ad.

So you see? No reason to blow hot and cold over it. GM is actually not at all trying to fool you here. They are just pitching for their product here as any good salesman should. Its the Adword system which is at fault if at all. So go pick a bone with Google here.
You have got most things right about google adwords, but i am 100% sure that the keyword that triggered the ad is not what is shown in the link. The entire content displayed in the ad is controlled by the creator of the ad, not google. The configured keywords are used to decide if an ad has to be shown after doing a context match.
You can verify this by opening different messages and check what ads come up.
E.g. earlier when i opened messages with contents like linea/punto etc, ad for carwale site came up with the link having 'carwale' in it along with the address next to it, clearly the message didn't have carwale in it. But this particular ad was configured to be triggered when linea/punto or any other car brand came up in message.

So in this case this is not something that happened by mistake, its done purposefully to deceive people. The ad has Fiat Punto in the link and clicking on it goes to Chevrolet UVA site. Clearly they are trying to be smart here.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 20th June 2009 at 21:55.
Old 20th June 2009, 22:03   #19
BANNED

Quote:

You are totally wrong on this. Its the Advertiser (for ex:if i want to put an ad i choose the title) who has done this trick. So whoever created this Title/ad for GM knows everyone is behind Fiat and Punto . He himself 100% sure that no one searches for Chevrolet/UVA otherwise i couldn't find any alternate reason for this 3rd class trick.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap tricks in advertising Chevrolet UVA-ex.jpg  

Last edited by wildon : 20th June 2009 at 22:21.
Old 20th June 2009, 22:14   #20
BANNED

Now that I understand the issue, I do agree that the tactic is very cheap.

But if I search or even on this forum, only other ad I get (google search) is the Indica vista.
Old 20th June 2009, 22:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Regions for which Google will not investigate the use of trademarks as keywords

We're there in it. Google actually lets competitors bid for even trademarked keywords, Something I imagine is hugely profitable for it. Unless Google gets sued in court and loses ( they have in most cases where they have been taken to court),I dont think they will do anything in that particular country.

So much for not being evil
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
=========
Its the Adword system which is at fault if at all. So go pick a bone with Google here.

I believe this is unethical. I remember one of the insurance companies in US suing and winning (I don't remember the name of the company but it is an acronym XXEX with E meaning Employee) for using their keyword as keyword in Adwords by a Company which gives insurance quotes.

(Sorry for so many wildcards but i read it a long time ago and i am not able to find out any relevant info now.)

It was GEICO. It sued Google and Yahoo (not the insurance company directly)

Here is the link
Geico sues Google, Overture over trademarks - CNET News

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I was reading The google story and Eric Schimdt was asked a question. "What is Evil?. He replied If larry says something is evil, then that thing is.
(I do not remember the exact lines)

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd June 2009 at 15:31. Reason: Please avoid making back to back post, wait for approval and then edit. Also avoid quoting entire large post. thanks
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:47   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is downright cheap....absolutely below the belt. But Fiat can rest easy. No one is going to buy the Chevy after a drive in the Punto .

Actually, no ones buying the UVA even without a Punto test.
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

The ad has been replaced now.
The title is now:
New Chevrolet Aveo U-VA

I checked it on a few places.
I'd written to GM about this ad and they have promised a reply.

The ad does show up in Fiat sites etc.
I guessquite a few people emailed them and they also noticed some comments about this in forums.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:58   #25
BHPian

Who cares...People when they will open up the site and see chevy UVA they'll just close it.. I think its a trick by advertiser to show GM high clicks on their site.. Coz they are paid seperately for site optimisation.
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well it seems GM India will be launching an all new campaign to reassure customers that the company will not go tits up.
Hopefully this time the link will not say 'Megan Fox' and when u click it a Tavera comes up. That would really piss me off!!

GM India to increase ad spend to rev up brand image
Old 8th July 2009, 12:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is downright cheap....absolutely below the belt. But Fiat can rest easy. No one is going to buy the Chevy after a drive in the Punto .

How about this GTO?

Cheap tricks in advertising Chevrolet UVA-gp.jpg
Old 8th July 2009, 14:08   #28
BHPian

The way GM was going their last resort must have been these gimmicks.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
The advertisers give the content of the ad, so the link is given by the advertiser (GM India in this case), Google just manages the ads and decides what to show where based on the context.

Thats is fine, thats like comparing the cars, saying like Indica is bigger that alto, without actually naming alto etc.
But here if the link says it is fiat punto, and then it takes you to UVA site, its not right
I think its a compliment to punto.
Kudos to fiat.
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:25   #30
BHPian

Why i went for UVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Dear GTO,
actually i have bought UVA even after test driving Punto and after lot of surfing and reading reviews on this forum (these are purely personal views and not meant to offend - there could be customers who are FANS of a particular brand and adore it to the extent they cannot even let someone criticise it) when Punto was launched in June i was crazy to buy it as it was (and is) the most stunning looker on roads but my experience of its test ride & finding its interior quite cheap for a Rs. 6 lac car; put me off and then i also tried i20 but the guys at this showroom were too arrogant (hyundai sells well) but i read the reviews that i20 is underpowered for its engine though its interiors were quite good.
I settled for UVA after lot of survey of all hatchbacks and would like to inform all that there are several factors that decided my choice of UVA though there are not many takers for it:
-it is most spacious from inside and elegantly furnished though not as luxurious as i20 but still it is better than punto's inside
-with a 1.2 engine, 76 bhp +3 yr service package at 3.99 lac it is good value for money
-next contender was maruti swift but it is not as spacious & its design may appeal more to young & stylish user but not to a family guy with sober taste.
I have driven my UVA for 1500 kms and find it without any problem so far. ride is smooth and silent for the family and it seast 3 adults very easily on back seat and inside it feels like a sedan.
Hope you may see these points of view also.'rgds/Pradeep

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks