Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 09:10   #76
BHPian

On the contrary i have never seen honda advertising much on any car. Not even for ANHC when it was launched. Seeing so many hoardings and ads for jazz is UN-HONDA, i guess honda is having a tough time because of the pricing and that is why they are resorting to all these secondary means to adequately sell the car
Old 8th July 2009, 09:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

What i really don't understand is that why is everyone so upset about the jazz sales? Okay its prices at 8lac. Those who can afford it, and like it please go out any buy if, if its out of your budget, by all means, go and buy the better alternatives you guys are talking about.

About Honda not being a premuim brand, Agreed, but its not a cheap brand abroad like skoda etc. The premium everyone is talking about here is the premium that the brand commands over other companies. This is due to the superior fit and finish, A.S.S, unbeatable resale, and good FE.

And about the sales figures falling after a month, that's what all you boys told after the 1000 cars in 10 days figure came out, yet its keeping on rising. hell, somebody even claimed that the 1000 figure was false, and 300 was the true figure. Nobody questioned his 'source' then. If this had been stated in a Fiat thread, the drama which would've followed would really be a sight to see!!

This is really a depressing trend on team bhp these days. Lets keep the discussion focussed on the current sales, and stop predicting doom for every car you don't like.Lets stop discussion about how overpriced the jazz is , blah blah. Its doing good sales now.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:38   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
What i really don't understand is that why is everyone so upset about the jazz sales? Okay its prices at 8lac. Those who can afford it, and like it please go out any buy if, if its out of your budget, by all means, go and buy the better alternatives........................
i agree with you here.

by the way, its a really good omen for a car if it gets bashed on TBhp.

Cars that were initially bashed up badly and did really good in sales number.

indica vista (taxi image, same indica look from behind when standing at 45% to the incident light, evolution design is good with toyota but how can tata think of this blasphemy)
mahindra xylo (bad looks, mahindra has gone mad in trying to imitate toyota)
i20 (too pricey, how can a korean dog eater demand so much money, and i worship someone called jeremy clarkson)
and now jazz (too pricey again)

cars that were adored like a damsel but dint do too well in sales

linea (what a looker, priced very well, but isnt selling very well)
i hope that the linea story does not get repeated with punto.

Last edited by pb10gagan : 8th July 2009 at 09:40.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:49   #79
BHPian

Quote:
1250 cars in april and 901 cars in may augurs well for a brand which had been reduced to dust before. The sales report for june is yet to come. It might not be shocker in sales. It is definitely selling decenty despite the niggles. But it is very early to comment that it is not selling well.

And i dont want to start honda / fiat fiasco here. Kindly refrain from making such remarks and try to stick to the topic.......
Old 8th July 2009, 12:41   #80

Team-BHP positive review is not affecting sales

Many were hoping that Linea will go Palio way. But it seems Linea is doing well

"Fiat India showed the most remarkable increase in sales, thanks to the success of the Linea. The company’s sales grew 349.8 per cent, from 550 units in June 2008 to 2,474 units in June 2009."

I saw the above article in DriveInside.com.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
i agree with you here.

Lol. Looks like the i20 diesel is going to go like hot cakes if this trend is true
Old 10th July 2009, 23:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Lol. Looks like the i20 diesel is going to go like hot cakes if this trend is true
How about Jazz Diesel @ 11 Lacs
Old 11th July 2009, 21:08   #83
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
Take it as constructive criticism. Allow me to explain:

Quote:
indica vista
Search through the forum and you'll see that its one of our favorite hatchbacks (including yours truly). That said, our love isn't blind. We accept that it looks too similar to the previous Indica and has some quality issues.

Quote:
mahindra xylo (bad looks, mahindra has gone mad in trying to imitate toyota)
The Xylo looks ugly and has poor dynamics. Not really a contendor for the most popular car on an enthusiast forum, is it? Don't forget we did elaborate on how it meets the needs of its target market and WILL sell.

Quote:
i20 (too pricey, how can a korean dog eater demand so much money, and i worship someone called jeremy clarkson)
and now jazz (too pricey again)
Neither is the i20 a hot seller nor will the Jazz ever be. Their makers realise that the premium pricing has effectively limited the sales. And yes, either car is overpriced for the engine (i20) or equipment (Jazz).

Quote:
cars that were adored like a damsel but dint do too well in sales
We live to drive, the common Indian man doesn't. Simple. That's why we will lust after cars like the Skoda RS, Fiesta 1.6S, Palio 1.6 100 BHP (at its time), OHC Vtec etc. But the market needs fuel efficiency and just about "satisfactory" power. So you see, it's the classic head versus heart debate.

Quote:
I'd say an average of 900 Lineas monthly is not bad at all, especially for a brand that's trying to get back from the dead.
Old 11th July 2009, 21:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

If Honda has actually sold 1000 units in the first 10 days then good for them. Unfortunately, it's bad for us car buyers if this trend continues. I would love to own a Honda but not at these prices and with these features and if Jazz is a success at these prices then the all new next City will probably be priced at 12 lakhs?!

I wouldn't read too much into the 1000 units in 10 days. New cars have a honeymoon period, specially if they are Japanese cars being launched in India and more so if they are H branded.

By the way, the 300 cars sold source is extremely reliable.
Old 11th July 2009, 23:53   #85
BHPian

Everyday i see around 6-7 jazz's on south delhi roads and 2-3 on the north delhi side.

Bottom-line- the jazz is selling,no point cribbing.
The general public is not on team-bhp,keep that in mind,its "gaadi do-paise lo,kaam khatam karo",as compared to us people,"8.5 lac pe mujhe hi khatam kar do,gaadi ki kya zaroorat hai"
Old 12th July 2009, 10:55   #86
Senior - BHPian

It is still a free country, is the way to look at it. With the market consisting of willing buyers and willing sellers at a price that makes sense to both. As long as the maker gets the volumes he wants, his price makes sense to him. For a price reduction to make economic sense, the volumes to be sold to make the same total profit rise dramatically, if you take the trouble to do the math. For those volumes, even at the lower price, there may not be enough of a market, or there may be capacity constraints. Besides there may be premium pricing strategies at play. The only vote we can have is with our wallets. If that is not enough to influence the seller, we have to recognize that this is not a playing field we can play on, and stay away. With zero heartburn?!
Old 12th July 2009, 12:06   #87
BHPian

Honda will keep overcharging Indian customer as no one has the brand value-peace of Mind as they do except for Toyota! But Toyota is yet to act in India! The problem with Toyota is their partners in India! I do not understand why Toyota can not bring a car in hatchback segment and something in the category of City! They will definitely help reign in these premium pricing!
Old 12th July 2009, 13:27   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Honda will keep overcharging Indian customer as no one has the brand value-peace of Mind as they do except for Toyota! But Toyota is yet to act in India! The problem with Toyota is their partners in India! I do not understand why Toyota can not bring a car in hatchback segment and something in the category of City! They will definitely help reign in these premium pricing!
If in partners you are referring to Kirloskar - they are there for just show now, they have no role to play strategically or operationally. It is a Toyota run operation all the way. India remains a place where they have failed, but they will persist and come out strong once their smaller cars are ready for release. And just now they will be preoccupied with sinking volumes in the West owing to the recession, and this will to some extent delay their India moves.
Old 20th July 2009, 16:10   #89
BHPian

When I read through this forum and I see lots of emotional messages by members on Honda pricing. Honda should understand that these as voices from frustrated hearts, especially from some prospects.

In today's Indian car scenario, people are in search of a good, stylish, reliable, moderately priced and fuel efficient car, especially in small and mid segment. Today all brands in India bears some pros and cons as I listed below.

a. Maruti - Excellent service Network, sensibly priced but Average build quality

b. Hyundai - Value for Money, reliable but poor body build quality, High Service costs

c. Tata - Good Pricing, but reliability Issues, unprofessional service network

d. Chevrolet - Value for money, but Poor brand perception, Lack of Service Centers

e. Ford - Comfortable but VeryHigh service cost and spare part costs

f. Toyota - Very reliable but no models in entry or mid segments

g. Fiat - Good cars but unreliable service from Tata

Eventhough Honda is highly positioned, people always see a Value for money for its hatchback models.

Because of these reasons, people (including me) were eagerly waiting for the launch of Jazz. There was even a hope that Honda will price its hatchback sensibly ie. in 5L to 6L. But Honda made everyone a fool.

This damaged the goodwill of lots of people (not only Teambhp). The real reason behind this is:

a. untouchability of Honda products to common man

b. fear that other manufacturers (like Marutis and Tatas) also follow this price path.

Another factor is Honda cant justify the price of 7.5L saying that it is priced in par with UK or US markets. There an average person in salary class need maximum six to ten months for buy a car in this price (from my experiance). But in India, especially for the working class, it take years of hard work (sometimes both husband & wife) to buy a car. Thats where Marutis, Hyundai's Tatas's and even Cheverolet's succeeded.

This is not a presciptive solation, but what Honda needs to do is

a. Do a market research - on what price this car is acceptable in the market.

b. Reduce the Price of the car accordingly (at least make a base variant, with basic functions like PS, AC etc)

c. Work backward on the pricing (by sourcing from India or avoiding some expensive extra features)

No doubt, Jazz is a high quality car, which doesnt mean it will sell in Indian Market. For a company like Honda, the only mantra for capturing the market is "Price sensibly".

But I feel that if tomorrow Honda is going to price Jazz in par with Swift - the name of the car can be changed to - "Swift killer".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks