Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2005, 23:49   #1
BANNED

Luxury car or a small plane

Most of the people who can afford a Mercedes E class or S class, can also afford a driver. They can obviously afford to spend 40lakhs on such cars.

When a small plane is offered at the same cost, what are the chances of that being sucessful. If it were me, I would buy a small car and a plane.
Check out this link
http://in.news.yahoo.com/050616/139/5yzdv.html
-Prasadee
Old 17th June 2005, 08:53   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee
Most of the people who can afford a Mercedes E class or S class, can also afford a driver. They can obviously afford to spend 40lakhs on such cars.

When a small plane is offered at the same cost, what are the chances of that being sucessful. If it were me, I would buy a small car and a plane.
Check out this link
http://in.news.yahoo.com/050616/139/5yzdv.html
-Prasadee
Hey, me too! But this is absolutely theoretical for me since I don't have the money for either a luxury car or a smal plane!

If you are buying a plane, you'll either have to get a private pilot license (PPL) - which will cost you a couple of lakhs or so for the flying hours and you will have to write some exams - or else you will have to hire a pilot - and what's the fun in that?
Old 17th June 2005, 09:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

I had a colleague who used to come to work at New Jersey from Texas. Every Sunday evening he used to fly his twin engine Cessna from Texas to New Jersey and then rent a car for the week. Saturday morning he used to fly back to Texas. He was doing this throughout the period he worked in NJ since he didn't want to move his family from Texas.

BTW, he was a former fighter pilot who had served in the fag end of Vietnam war.
Old 17th June 2005, 11:19   #4
BHPian

hmm...let see...

sure...but nothing flimsy or prop-driven. a small jet is more like it.

a Citation X or a GulfStream woun't hurt I guess. thanks for opening my eyes. i had almost put down the booking amount for the Phantom.

Old 17th June 2005, 17:01   #5
BHPian

Are we not forgetting the parking charges at the Local Airports ...
It is so high that buying the plane might sound like a simple option but maintainence cost is gonna be really high.
Old 17th June 2005, 18:56   #6
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone thought about insurance? The same colleague was considering buying an used chopper for $35K. However, when he found that the insurance would cost $21K per year he dropped the idea faster than the fastest gun in the west. Afterall he was a Texas cowboy .

Not sure about the insurance rates in India, must be really high.
Old 17th June 2005, 19:17   #7
BHPian

Definition of middle class man in India?

From the article:
For instance, a middle class man can join hands with several of his friends and buy an aircraft or a part of it," said Ravi Kiran Kota, Managing Director, Indus Aviation.

Middle class man in India can offord this! huh! not sure what this guy is thinking. As Samurai pointed out their is too much string attached to it. Having flight is only 20% of the game.

If they target rent-with-pilot model, I am sure the idea will fly.

-SKumar
Old 17th June 2005, 22:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumarit
From the article:
For instance, a middle class man can join hands with several of his friends and buy an aircraft or a part of it," said Ravi Kiran Kota, Managing Director, Indus Aviation.
-SKumar
This concept is quite popular in the US. In fact there was even a show on Discovery or NatGeo on this. It works something like your timeShare concept. you put in some money each year. And when you need it, you will have a private jet of your own. The aircraft itself is owned and maintained by a company. In that show, there were companies, successful self-employed people, golfers etc who were availing of that facility.
Old 17th June 2005, 23:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

hey hell_rider you are right i remember seeing that episode.depending on the amount you pay every year you get a plane when you need one.some of the members who pay a higher amount get a bigger or more luxurious plane with more facilities.

rev
Old 17th June 2005, 23:14   #10
BHPian

agree with u evo6 and samurai. hell the air traffic control also has to be paid each time we use their services during take off and landing. its pretty much like the motorcycle i bought recently. i came for a reasonable price... but the god damned insurance is actually equal to the amount of the motorcycle, thats doubled the cost of the bike. well multiply this by 10000 and thats how much it'll prbably cost for the plane.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks