Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 19:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The Punto uses a 1.3 MJD, which is locally sourced therefore much cheaper than an imported Hyundai Diesel. Even then I agree that at 7.66 lacs the i20 auto diesel variant is ridiculously priced.
The CRDi is not auto (A/T)
Old 22nd July 2009, 00:04   #47
BHPian

IMO, its the effect of the success of stupidly overpriced Jazz.

Initially people said i20 is way overpriced. But once Jazz is launched, i20 seems to be a real VFM!!

So, hyundai can easily increase the price of i20CRDI & 1.4 AT.

Beware dear customers, the stage is all set, for a overall price increase in all segments of cars.

Companies slowly increasing the prices of all cars.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post

Initially people said i20 is way overpriced. But once Jazz is launched, i20 seems to be a real VFM!!

Beware dear customers, the stage is all set, for a overall price increase in all segments of cars.

I am not sure I agree. There are people buying the Jazz, and I would not call them stupid. Maybe they are smarter than me for having made enough money to afford it?
Also, I bought a 1.6 GTX for a little over Rs 5 lakhs on road in 2001. Most other things have doubled in price over that time, median salaries included. Cars are actually a lot more affordable now for those of us lucky enough to have decent jobs. Competition has played a role in keeping us the beneficiaries, and, to an extent, we get cars with a lot more cost cutting in them, for the car companies to earn an economic return on investment at the effectively lower prices, adjusted for inflation. But we want to have the same fit and finish at the same old price, and think that paying the asked for price in a better fitted out car is stupid.
A little introspection is called for, I suggest.
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:54   #49
BHPian

sorry, but couldnt resist reporting this

the hyundai uk site contains the fuel economy figures of the 1.4 AT. The combined (city + highway) economy is 45.6 mpg i.e. 19.38 kpl !!! Even for city drive, the site states an economy number of 35.3 mpg i.e. 15 kpl. This seems more than even the diesel versions!!! whats the catch? The engine is the same that is offered in india. Is the fuel quality in Uk so good that it results in such a fantastic economy?

Thanks
Ashish
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you are using the wrong liter to gallon conversion. There are two kinds of gallons, I am sure, but do not ask me which is the UK one, I am not sure.
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishgandhi_00 View Post
sorry, but couldnt resist reporting this

the hyundai uk site contains the fuel economy figures of the 1.4 AT. The combined (city + highway) economy is 45.6 mpg i.e. 19.38 kpl !!! Even for city drive, the site states an economy number of 35.3 mpg i.e. 15 kpl. This seems more than even the diesel versions!!! whats the catch? The engine is the same that is offered in india. Is the fuel quality in Uk so good that it results in such a fantastic economy?

Thanks
Ashish
1 British Gallon = 4.5 Litres. Hence the mileage is 45.6mpg = 16.21 KMPL & 35.6 MPG = 12.66 KMPL
But even then mileage would be higher in UK because the normal petrol in UK is 95 octane and with 97 and 99 octane also available. High compression engines work better with higher octane fuel.
Also in UK cities you don't have too much bumper to bumper traffic like over here in India in any city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Maybe you are using the wrong liter to gallon conversion. There are two kinds of gallons, I am sure, but do not ask me which is the UK one, I am not sure.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:46   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post

I wouldn't agree there either. Premium hatchback segment is a new niche segment in India (with Fabia, Jazz and i20) and we (Indians) being so VFM conscious are having trouble relating to that segment.

For eg, while there are no discounts on i20 which is highly priced, I don't see Hyundai increasing Santro and i10 prices - in fact I see them throwing almost 35k discounts (a recent thread in Ownership report forum) on an i10.

IMO, this expensive non-VFM phenomenon is specific to this segment and will have no impact on pricing in other segments. The likes of Maruti and Tata will keep the pricing pressure ON in compact segment and the Indian population in general which is VFM-aware in general will keep lapping that up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks