Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2022, 08:06   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you have a character full car in your garage?

I was watching one of Harry Metcalfe's videos and he explained why he ended up reviewing only one pure EV in 2021. The tagline of his channel is, "Celebrating the world's most characterful cars via video." and he's unable to do justice to that if he's going to do a lot of reviews on pure EVs.

That's his perspective and this post is not to debate if EVs are characterful or not.

Cars with character-img_1364.jpg

The question is, do you have a characterful car in your garage and why would you say so?

I think I have one but it is open to debate because its not a manual.

Cars with character-screen-shot-20220121-12.32.17-pm.png

I should logically choose our Mazda3 for our long drives because it is more spacious, safe, comfortable, fuel efficient and loaded with technology when compared to the WRX.

However, I always take the WRX because it is X times more FTD and abuse friendly on any road that's not a motorway. These are the cars that get the long leash from their owners for their shortcomings.

So let's talk about the characterful cars in your garage.

Mods: This thread is the Indian Car Scene and I'm not sure if that needs to be updated due to my post.
Old 21st January 2022, 09:23   #92
BHPian

Re: Cars with character

I must commend Sawyer for a brilliant question.

So how do we answer the question. This is one of those situations where we should “man muss immer umkehren” (loosely translated - ‘invert, always invert’; RIP monsieur Jacobi).

Therefore, to answer what constitutes character we instead first ought to ask which cars have demonstrated character. Once we have definitive list we can draw commonalities and correlations.

Before we jump to list cars we feel have character may I borrow from the wisdom of the great Andy Grove to re-frame the response.

This car has character has character ‘AS MEASURED BY’ (AMB)……

Mind you, AMB cannot be - oh, its a hoot to drive; looks stunning; et el. AMB has to be more simple to quantify. For example, cars that were on waiting (in a time of surpluses); cars that saw price increases (even as industry increased discounts); etc.

As you can see I don’t have answers, as always. But sometimes it’s equally important to ask the right questions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks