Team-BHP - VW Slips in a new CRDI Engine in the Jetta. EDIT : Rumour only?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   VW Slips in a new CRDI Engine in the Jetta. EDIT : Rumour only? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/62213-vw-slips-new-crdi-engine-jetta-edit-rumour-only.html)

Hi Folks....

Ive just learned that VW have slipped in a new CRDI engine in the Jetta line up and replaced the 1.9 PD engine doing rounds in their VW Jettas and the Skoda Laura so far. The VW Jetta with the new Crdi engine will be on all July 2009 cars onwards in both the Trendline and Comfortline variants.

The dealership in Mumbai has said that the new variant will be available in their showroom the coming Monday onwards for test drives.

Don't understand why they did not launch this engine in the first place !!! The current PD is noisy and Im sure the Crdi would be a delight to drive.

This would be a great car for Indian roads and conditions, but VW really needs to re-think their price points as the same car competes and sells at similar prices in the US and other countries with the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla.

Lovely news.
What about pricing?

VW CRDi + DSG + 3 year free maintenance + 4 years warrantee - I want one.

All I can say is : NICE! VW has been pushing all the right buttons of late, notably on swapping the crdi's into the Jetta & Passat, their after-sales and longer warranties. The superior after-sales is the single most important consideration in choosing a Jetta over a Laura. I just hope they don't create a mess of customer satisfaction in the long term.

1598 cc, 105ps@4400rpm, 25 kgm torque@1500-2500 rpm, CRDi, 7 speed DSG.

7 speed DSG Yummy. VW has been slowly building their dealer base. They now have dealership in second string cities as well - e.g. Lucknow. The cars themselves are understated and plush. Good going VW ( wish the CRDI had 50 more horses though :stupid: )

Well the only CRDi engines VW has are the 2.0TDI CR in the passat and the bluemotion 1.6TDI CR.

Both look highly unlikely but with VW you never know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidindica (Post 1398242)
1598 cc, 105ps@4400rpm, 25 kgm torque@1500-2500 rpm, CRDi, 7 speed DSG.

Ya hooo....

7 speed DSG means it's the newer one that uses dry-plate clutches (and not the wet-plate ones in the 6 speed unit) - better technology I have read.

Any reviews of this engine?

And what's the price?

Thats so nice of VW to offer us a good engine atlast,the engine should be noticably refined than than the outgoing PD unit.I feel the petrol engine should also have been changed to the tsi unit from Laura/Superb.

I dont understand why Skoda still has to live with the old gen PD engines in Laura and Superb,wheres VW's have moved on to the newer common rails,does this have something to do with cost cutting or VW group is promoting VW brand here in india?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1398209)
All I can say is : NICE! VW has been pushing all the right buttons of late, .

seems like it. i recently took a TD of the Jetta and the sales person was mentioning that there is some "major" internal reshuffles happening and VW is having some big plans for India. notable among this being the new POLO apparently to be launched in the 5-7 lakh price range and a "revamped" SKODA FABIA - he however did not know what the revamp is all about

it needs a proper nose job also.
compared to the new laura this looks like a boring fish.
but other then the looks and the 1 lac premium over the skoda im very impressed with the VW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinaydas (Post 1398299)
it needs a proper nose job also.
compared to the new laura this looks like a boring fish.
but other then the looks and the 1 lac premium over the skoda im very impressed with the VW.

1 lac premium over skoda?
I thought Jetta was cheaper than Laura...isn't it???

BTW, yes, Skoda's look very nice. Jetta looks boring (like toyotas)...

hmmm, the 1.6L TD CR is available only on the new 2009 mark6 golf and Polo. They may be the same platform but nowhere around the world is this engine available in the Jetta.

Why would VW put in a new engine in the old Jetta due for replacement and launch the engine in India first.

I'm pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Well its India.

IMO they will put 1.6 in Jetta & 2.0 in passat (then bring some so called sports / exclusive / limited edition, to bring attention)

Passat looks ok, but Jetta looks is way out dated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1398669)
hmmm, the 1.6L TD CR is available only on the new 2009 mark6 golf and Polo. They may be the same platform but nowhere around the world is this engine available in the Jetta.

Why would VW put in a new engine in the old Jetta due for replacement and launch the engine in India first.

I'm pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Good Point ! I was also pretty certain that its the 2.0 140 bhp version that is sold in the states. I guess we wait and see.

The VW India website is not yet updated. They could have extracted more from 1.6, but the tuning is more towards efficiency it seems. If they have priced this car lower than the earlier 1.9 versions, the competition is like to be affected, mainly Civic and Altis.
I am awaiting how this car performs as compared to 1.9.