Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 14:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well the Road Tax is on the Net invoice Value of the vehicle. But lot of times the discount is not shown on the invoice because of finance reasons.

Most dealers depending on the month of the year and the number of vehicles being lifted get a discount on NDP. And these discounts are generally not shown on the invoice by the manufacturer but is letter settled as claims. Hence when the dealer these discounts from the Manufacturer to a customer, they are not able to show the discounts on the invoice as their invoicing price will become lower than their NDP. Even though there is a extra payment of tax from the dealer and Manufacturer's end, manufacturer bears it.

One needs to be categorical to a dealer that they want the discount shown ad deducted in the invoice and dealer generally tells you whether they can do it or not.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2009, 16:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Well the Road Tax is on the Net invoice Value of the vehicle. But lot of times the discount is not shown on the invoice because of finance reasons.

Most dealers depending on the month of the year and the number of vehicles being lifted get a discount on NDP. And these discounts are generally not shown on the invoice by the manufacturer but is letter settled as claims. Hence when the dealer these discounts from the Manufacturer to a customer, they are not able to show the discounts on the invoice as their invoicing price will become lower than their NDP. Even though there is a extra payment of tax from the dealer and Manufacturer's end, manufacturer bears it.

One needs to be categorical to a dealer that they want the discount shown ad deducted in the invoice and dealer generally tells you whether they can do it or not.
Thanks, I was not aware about this way of providing discounts. However, so far sales executives maintained that discount will be shown in the invoice. Not sure whether they are fully aware about this..
Old 28th July 2009, 17:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
I spoke to RTO help desk and as per him, tax is on net invoice value. (Which obviously is amount after discounts). Now, I don't know who is playing here, is it RTO or Dealer himself?
1. What you pay the dealer by Cheque, is the amount he needs to show on the invoice.

2. This invoice is what you show to the RTO to pay the tax.

3. However, if the dealer is showing it to the RTO to pay the tax, then he will pocket the balance.

4. Hence, purchase the vehicle with discounts, get the net invoice receipt minus discounts (pay cheque minus discount ONLY), and go to the RTO directly and issue a demand draft for the exact amount (which the helpdesk will calculate and give in your hands).
Old 28th July 2009, 18:25   #19
BHPian

@ Red Liner

Thanks for the info. Do you have any first hand experience with RTO office? How easy/difficult it is to get the registration done if you are going by your own? Dealer is charging 5000+ as incidental expenses for registration.
Old 28th July 2009, 19:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
@ Red Liner

Thanks for the info. Do you have any first hand experience with RTO office? How easy/difficult it is to get the registration done if you are going by your own? Dealer is charging 5000+ as incidental expenses for registration.
I did on my own and it saved me a lot of trouble and money. I think RL also did on his owna nd we are waiting to hear his story
Old 17th June 2010, 09:33   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I am buying a used car and have selected a MH12(Pune) Swift VXI.

I read the Karnataka motor vehicles (amendment) act 2010.
The act in effect from April 2010.In the act it mentions "for registration of a vehicle which is already registered and its age is 2 to 3 years, Life time tax is 87%"

Now the discussed cost of the vehicle is 3.5 lakhs.
87% works out to around 3lakhs!!!!!!!!
the total cost of the vehicle will come up to 6.5Lakhs!!!!!!
This is just ridiclous...I can buy a bigger car instead of this.

Have anybody tranferred ownership/address to Bengaluru from other state after April 2010??
Can anybody here tell me if this true???
Old 17th June 2010, 11:02   #22
BHPian

I would think this is 87% of the tax for a eq new vehicle rather than 87% of the invoice price of the car.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I would think this is 87% of the tax for a eq new vehicle rather than 87% of the invoice price of the car.
Correct. You need to have the Invoice copy of the vehicle to see the actual price paid at Pune. With that amount, calculate the road tax as per KA and find the 87% of this value. That will be the amount you need to pay as road tax in KA

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 17th June 2010, 12:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys for your answers.

Yes after your reply I went through that once more and you are right.
The construction of the table in the act confused me.
Attached below is the act extract.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Road Tax calculation for new vehicle-1.jpg  

Old 17th June 2010, 13:47   #25
BHPian

87% of invoice price will be calculated as the value of the car. This means if your car is priced 5 lac rupees for the new one - the value of the vehicle will be 5lacsX87%= 4,35,000. So the tax amount is supposed to be 4,35,000X14.5%(or whatever the current tax rate). So finally the tax amount will be something like Rs.63,075. In your case, tax amount will be less than the mentioned amount here considering the new car price will be less than calculated above. So it will work out to around 3.5 lacs for you approximately including purchase price. Is it still profitable?
Old 17th June 2010, 14:32   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Willeys78,
I didn't understand what exactly you wanted to say by "Is it still profitable".
If you wanted to act me about the vehicle worth, Then I'm sure of it.
Its my brother in law's vehicle and since it was bought in 2008, I know the in and out of the car. Its in the best of conditions.

But If you are talking about Swift In general...thats entirely a different topic. better we don't start that now
Old 17th June 2010, 15:25   #27
BHPian

I asked you is it worth buying a vehicle for that price outside Karnataka as there are lot of good options here in bangalore itself. Popular automatch seems like good option as not less than 5-6 of my friends bought cars from them and all seems ok. I am not recommending any one, but just said. But since your case, it is your bro-in-laws car, you knows it, it could be a great option for you.

But when here in Team BHP when someone tries to help you by sharing information is this the way to respond? "But If you are talking about Swift In general...thats entirely a different topic. better we don't start that now " . Anyway it sounds so rude! Team BHP is more like a family and people like me have a great value/respect for it and its members. So generally what i think is - someone comes and asks something if i have an information, i like to share it. I'm still a newbie here, not because i don't read or spend half of my day dedicated to this wonderful forum for the last 3+ years, but i rarely write here! hope this won't start another debate with you.

Buy the car and enjoy driving it.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:25   #28
BHPian

OT:
Just wanted to know how many times do we come across the word TAX (may be different types of taxes) in the process of buying a new car.

Last edited by mezereo : 17th June 2010 at 17:37.
Old 18th June 2010, 08:52   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeys78 View Post
I asked you is it worth buying a vehicle for that price outside Karnataka as there are lot of good options here in bangalore itself. Popular automatch seems like good option as not less than 5-6 of my friends bought cars from them and all seems ok. I am not recommending any one, but just said. But since your case, it is your bro-in-laws car, you knows it, it could be a great option for you.

But when here in Team BHP when someone tries to help you by sharing information is this the way to respond? "But If you are talking about Swift In general...thats entirely a different topic. better we don't start that now " . Anyway it sounds so rude! Team BHP is more like a family and people like me have a great value/respect for it and its members. So generally what i think is - someone comes and asks something if i have an information, i like to share it. I'm still a newbie here, not because i don't read or spend half of my day dedicated to this wonderful forum for the last 3+ years, but i rarely write here! hope this won't start another debate with you.

Buy the car and enjoy driving it.
Hello Mr Willeys,

I don't know which word of mine made you feel that I was rude.
You have misunderstood my intensions here.
I'm also pretty much similar to you in reading this forum often and writing less. I don't talk to people by seeing their "BHP-status" but by what they actually write.

I know that I get good information from knowledgeable like minded people and that's why I first bring any queries here and later go elsewhere.

I have many friends who completely hate Swift and some others truly enjoy the Swift experience. This is the background why I wrote that.
I didn't want to start a debate with you or anybody for that matter...and thats the reason the smiley was attached.

Now this is also for your clarification and not a debate and I've written as straight forward as I can.
If there are any words that may be rude in any of this... excuse me.

@mezereo
I don't know to count that much
Old 21st June 2010, 19:25   #30

Road Tax for new vehicles registered in Bangalore

If i understand from the thread, the
Road Tax = Ex-showroom price of the car * 14% = value of road tax

Please let me know if my understanding is correct as i have booked a i20 and in waiting period for delivery scheduled for early/mid July. Once i do the final payment i will give the correct amount for registration

All your help/info is appreciated

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks