Team-BHP - For whatever Octavia is...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   For whatever Octavia is... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/6278-whatever-octavia.html)

I thought I changeover to a little bigger car from my new Petra, as I am not very happy with it.. So I took my wife and my kid to the Skoda dealership on this weekend..

Guys, I didnot come back happy...
This is a huge car and very impressive with solid looks from outside BUT from inside I felt really tight and squeezed..It almost has as little space as my Petra now. Is twice money is justifyable for the same space..

I had heard from this forum about lack of leg space in rear, even front seat is tight. Me being fat, was even worse. The sales guy tried to explain it as "lumber support" I was not buying it..

I did not test drive the car, (my wife did not like it!), But could sit in the car and started the engine(diesel), I still felt its a little noisy for such a car.

People say its a very good engine I am yet to get convinced.

My son is pushing me to buy a red one..

Can some kind soul guide me to a good car ..

PS: This is purely my personal opinion.. No way intended to hurt feelings of past , present or future Skoda owners and/or Fans

The Skoda is a Golf with a big bum. suggest you look at the Optra - a big car inside, the Honda City - small on the outside but big inside or the Fusion

true...its not that impressive...kinda small for a car that looks that big

The Octavia is not a car for the larger amoung us. As mentioned, the Optra would be more suitable for you going by what you have written. I'm sure your kid would love it too!

the Octavia was never about space. The reason it sells here is because of it's frugal engine, soild feel and good looks. And yes, the 1.9TDi is a terrific engine!!

Each car has it's set of positive and negative points. The key is to find something that satisfies your needs.

U owning a petra has created this impression of the skoda i guess.

Optra has gud rear legroom space and is as gud looking as any other car or maybe better looking also. While the honda city is spacious inside, the exterior looks and the rather un involving engine maybe its shortcomings.

As far as ur front seats discomfort goes, skoda is gud i thot and the other brands maybe similar in comfort without significant change.

A loaded Optra may be a gud choice i feel.

Hurry Home

Thanks...I 'll try Optra too..
Other options debated in the family.. Keep the Petra ( I only have cribs about some body rattles) or consider Innova.. ( i too hate Japs..)

You guys know any car being awaited soon.. (forgive my ignorance).

OTOT: Is there a place who works on body rattles better than Fiat themselves. My car is perfectly fine with out them..

A couple of months back I did a post criticizing the attitude of some Team-BHP members: hyping the western manufacturers and marques blindly and black-washing the Japanese and Koreans. I was particularly harsh about Fiat India aficionados and got a bit emotional perhaps, in any case that post was deleted. I am not complaining about it, its all right.

DRC, I have no intention to flame you, but would you please explain why do you hate the Japanese automakers?

Please note that the Optra is a car from the erstwhile Daewoo stable. It is marketed in the US as Suzuki Verona. It is certainly not a bad car. But I think you should consider the Corolla also, if you can consider the Optra. On the other hand if you are looking for a diesel car, include Elantra also into the list. You don’t have to worry about the A S S.

Like all European cars, Skoda Auto is also being hyped here, but –unlike Fiat- it is worth it perhaps. They have a future and they have already (unofficially) announced the forthcoming models.

Regarding Octavia, I think you have missed the point of safety somehow in your showroom visit. An Octie collided with a bus in Trivandrum last Sunday, and a family friend of mine, a 67-year old man, drove it. He walked out from the crash complaining " (with) what noise it collided".

thats it.

I guess even "Aadix" had recently posted that his father did not fit into the front seat of the Octavia. Thats why he was not considering it at all

GTO

Elantra. You get 1lac discount, which means on road price of 10L in delhi. Of course handling is no great shakes, but it gets all creature comforts and a 4 year warranty. Was Autocar VFM of the year.

[, a 67-year old man, drove it. He walked out from the crash complaining " (with) what noise it collided".

thats it.[/quote]

Airbag exploded no doubt

@sandeepmdas,
Again PS: This is purely my personal opinion.. No way intended to hurt feelings of past , present or future Japanese owners and/or Fans..

I really appreciate the way Jap cars have made their way into world market.
When I am US I would definitly drive/own a Honda against any other car(Unless some one funds me for a Merc or an Audi).
I personally had bad experiences with them.,.Or I think somehow they dont respect Indian customers..
1. Hyundai, The local dealership here in Bangalore (both of them) assumed when I went shopping for a car that I do not understand anything of a car. They might have thought "what this software guy know about a car?"
The kind of things they told me..
Me: can we retrofit a power window on read doors of a Santro?
Hyundai: When you come to table let us see..
Me: Is it technically possible?
Hyandai: No.
.... and some other quotes..You never need Power in indian conditions.!!!
I am obsolutely pissed off

2. Toyota, Both for the reason they have a better market elsewhere in the world always want to sell their cars at a premium..
Me: Does Toyota has plans to bring C segment cars to India? (at this point I had a small budget and went to have a look at Innova)
Toyota: We don't want to compete there. Its a dirty market.

3. Honda. I never went to a Honda dealership. Neither do they sell cheap for such a car.

4. Suzuki, I dont have complaints.. To me (most of us) its More Maruti than Suzuki...

Neither I am happy with so many weatern car manufacturers..
Fiat For example..and I own one :mad:

You sound like a hard man to please! So you don't like Japanese or Korean cars, and you don't like "western" cars, then I guess you could always try and find a Holden or something else made in the Australia, as you haven't mentioned anything about the south yet! :D

Hello DRC,

There is a Fiat authorised service station in Shankar Mutt road near National college. It is called Hariprasad Automobiles. I own a Palio and it is due for its first paid service. I am planning to use this service station this time. Maybe you can try there. There is also a Bosch service centre which takes up servicing of almost any model. This is called rsmotorcrafts somewhere in Hosur Road.

Cheers,
Deepak.

@DRC, I respect your opinion and appreciate the fact that you have categorically put that into context ..

looking at your complaints of auto manufacturers it seems your primary grouse is with the customer facing representatives of the companies and not the cars as such ..
now after all , Korean, Jap, German, US .. all car showrooms are ultimately front ended by Indian representatives and their bosses are Indian too .. (please fellow Indian bros and sis's .. don't pounce on me :) ) you'll probably face similar experiences at majority of the dealers/workshops irrespective of the nationality of the car manufacturer ..

so maybe it would be best to base your purchase decision purely on the merits of the car and pray that A.S.S turns out to be a good experience !

Dear DRC,

What exactly are you unhappy with your Petra about? Is it the space or the dreaded A.S.S.? Because the Skoda is double the cost of the Petra.