Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 14:53   #1
BANNED

Running-in cars. Why don't manufacturers do it themselves?

The life, mileage and performance of a car is very much dependent on how the car is handled during its run-in period. While many owners do it very carefully, many are not doing it, or not able to do it because of circumstances.

My point is: Why the manufacturing company itself can't do the run-in process using an automated mechanism? I don't mean the fully assembled car should be driven by the manufacturer, but parts like engine and gear system can be separately tuned using some automated mechanisms.

A car consisting of such tuned parts should not be considered as a used car, but as a 'tuned' car.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:22   #2
BHPian

I believe all cars will be tested to see if there are any problems.
However, running-in each car will take too much time and effort.

Just think for a moment the number of cars that rolls out everyday.
Well, I'm not saying it will be impossible. If manufacturers do it it just might kick the price towards the high end.

The other option is to have components made that have very high level of precision. This method is used in almost all of the super cars. If you take for example ferrari, they use a special mold to make engine blocks and that is used only 2 times, meaning they are used to make 2 engine blocks. This is true for some models and not all.

Simply put the cost factor will be too much for the manufacturers.
However if they can add it as an "option" at least some of us will select it.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
The life, mileage and performance of a car is very much dependent on how the car is handled during its run-in period. While many owners do it very carefully, many are not doing it, or not able to do it because of circumstances.
This link might interest you:
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
Old 7th August 2009, 17:12   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Many cars today actually do not require to be run it.

running in at the company end would prove to be too expensive, as it would involve say running in an engine for maybe 3000 kms and hence also consume the fuel for that distance, besides generating the polutants for distance never covered.

while running in during initial use of the car ensure there is less wastage of fuel & time and is also better for the environment.

with use of more precise components the run in time is today reduced to as little as 500 kms with many vendors even stating that there is no run in period for their cars.
Old 7th August 2009, 21:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

SS, that was quite an eye-opener. I've never heard of this before yet it seems logical enough.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 7th August 2009 at 21:09.

Most Viewed