Team-BHP - Transport of Brand New Cars from Factories to Showrooms
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Transport of Brand New Cars from Factories to Showrooms (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/63164-transport-brand-new-cars-factories-showrooms-2.html)

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Maybe those super crazy drivers were doing us a favour? Of course, this link has been discussed ad nauseum but convince yourself that its true so you won't feel so bad when you buy your next car :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 1422130)
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Maybe those super crazy drivers were doing us a favour? Of course, this link has been discussed ad nauseum but convince yourself that its true so you won't feel so bad when you buy your next car :D

:DHmm...and burning off some of the tyre rubber in smoke to setup the car a la F1 is also a part of it?!

circa 1995. we were just then allotted the 10th sumo in bangalore and we were elated about the purchase. it sure was a moment of pride but it got slightly dampened by prerana motors promptly mentioning in advance that the car will come with 800 kms on the odo at delivery.
When it arrived, it did have 798 kms. atleast they were honest about it.
circa 2003. there was a massive truck strike and all material movement was standstill. Those days I was working for a toyota dealership and the corolla was selling very well then and it was an auspious month and all customers wanted the cars asap.guess what toyota suggested us to do, drive it from the factory yard to dealership!!
thrilled as we were ,close to 20 of us went to TKML in bidadi in 2 qualis's and came back in a convoy of 20 cars (18 corollas and 2 qualis's). what a drive it was. and all the while i was thinking of how my sumo came in with 798kms on the odo!!!

My Sumo too was driven from Pune way back in 1996, it was the norm in those days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 1421802)
I am told that till recently Scorpios used to also be driven similarly. But my Scorpio delivered this April, had 000000 kms on its odo and was transported by truck.So also Xylos are truck transported.
Road transport though with its own perils used to be a lovely sight for automobile lovers who could spot many, many maybe Ambassadors , Premiers or Jeeps while on the highway. That is sorely missed now.

dont believe your odo. may the cable was disconnected. because the test track in the plant itself is around 1-2 kms. and each and every car is tested.
for example a tata indica tested once is 1.6 kms, twice is 3.5 etc.
then they are put in trucks and transported.

I have also seen a number of Mahindra vehicles being driven down to Chennai (mostly on the Bangalore-Chennai GQ).

As bouncer has noticed rightly, they are most often used as taxis. But one thing I noticed is that these vehicles are driven quite slowly.

What is painful is to see Ford cars being driven (read ripped) from the factory to its showrooms in Chennai. There is a MPL Ford warehouse in Medavakkam and I happened to visit it to see my Ford Fusion. My car was not there, but it was a very bad sight to see all the new cars covered with millimetres of thick dust.

These distributors just don't care about the future owner of the cars. May be this attitude also explains the lousy service levels and very bad customer (kust-se-mar) satisfaction levels.

Whenever you buy Safari, whenever you see ODO reading; its always zero as its ODO cable is disconnected when it is brought from factory. I have seen it on my friend's Safari.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhrishikesh (Post 1422486)
Whenever you buy Safari, whenever you see ODO reading; its always zero as its ODO cable is disconnected when it is brought from factory. I have seen it on my friend's Safari.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the VTEC guy (Post 1421920)
I am sure these vehicles are driven with odometer cable removed. thats why 0 kms.

Yes this is a very common scenario. I have even seen many of the Indigos driven like this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_mechengg (Post 1422415)
dont believe your odo. may the cable was disconnected. because the test track in the plant itself is around 1-2 kms. and each and every car is tested.
for example a tata indica tested once is 1.6 kms, twice is 3.5 etc.
then they are put in trucks and transported.

Its true that the cable of the speedo of my Scorpio too may have been disconnected. But the fact is that nowdays the Scorpios and Xylos are transported by truck-a welcome change. Even the Safaris are transported by trucks to the showroom.
The pre-delivery usage for these SUV's now are mainly at the company test tracks and later on use/misuse by dealers. Hence its wiser to take immediate delivery after the consignment arrives from the factory.
A local Maruti dealer with whom I had earlier booked the Swift DZire ZDi had me coming down to the showroom at a time when there was no test drive car available. The easiest way out for them came from a spot decision- get a just serviced DZire of some gullible customer road tested by the prospective buyer thats me! And it happened that way! Could just feel sorry for the poor chap!:Frustrati

Yes take delivery as soon as possible. This is what I did.

When my Linea was delivered, ODO was 6 km!
The Fiat/TATA cars come in trucks and offload at the dealer's yard (Autofin) on the highway. Then they are driven to showroom ~ 6km.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 1422566)
Hence its wiser to take immediate delivery after the consignment arrives from the factory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neotraveller (Post 1422574)
Yes take delivery as soon as possible. This is what I did.

When my Linea was delivered, ODO was 6 km!
The Fiat/TATA cars come in trucks and offload at the dealer's yard (Autofin) on the highway. Then they are driven to showroom ~ 6km.

You are lucky it is 6 Kms. In Mumbai it is atleast 40 Kms. For e.g. my DZire was 16 Kms on the odo when I checked it in the yard which was at Vasai (outside city limits bcos of the Octroi in Mumbai) and the distance from there to the dealership in Lower Parel (Sai Service) would be atleast 30-40 Kms. When I got my car it was 56 Kms on the odo :Frustrati.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAS (Post 1422475)
There is a MPL Ford warehouse in Medavakkam and I happened to visit it to see my Ford Fusion. My car was not there, but it was a very bad sight to see all the new cars covered with millimetres of thick dust.

These distributors just don't care about the future owner of the cars. May be this attitude also explains the lousy service levels and very bad customer (kust-se-mar) satisfaction levels.

I had been to the stockyards of two dealers for my Ford Fusion too, and noticed the inches of dust on the cars as well. The cars had to be washed to see them in their real colour.

Actually, I think it was because the dealers cared about the customers that they let this happen. Stacked in the open, an inch of dust is the only way the cars are protected from being baked in the April sun. Think positive!
:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by rr_zen (Post 1421828)
Which is why most of us prefer to drive our beauties from the dealer's stock yard.stupid:

But do you know how they arrived at the stockyard? Sometimes they are delivered by truck at the stockyard, if the truck arrives at night. If it arrives by day when there is a restriction on truck movements within city, they will be unloaded at the outskirts and driven to the stockyard. Still other times stocks arrive by rail. Then the cars will be unloaded at Trivellore (50 KM) and driven to the city!

Apart from all the above, if the dealer has multiple yards/show rooms in the city, cars will be driven from one to another depending upon space! This was revealed to me by a guy in the dealership where I bought an Alto recently. The odo reading was 81 when I inspected the car before it went to RTO. When it came back from RTO ( 7 KM round trip) it was still 81! When I confronted them, they frankly admitted that speedo will be disconnected around 80 - 85 KM to prevent them from crossing 100.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parm (Post 1421905)
so basically we get previously driven cars!:Shockked:

but first hand ownership!

Yes!
Quote:

Originally Posted by the VTEC guy (Post 1421920)
I am sure these vehicles are driven with odometer cable removed. thats why 0 kms.

You bet! And it can be disconnected / reconnected in a jiffy in MPFI cars, even I can do it.

Guys, apart from all these, do you realize they will be test driven for some KM in the factory too, from slow speed to near top speed? A bike mechanic friend of mine, who had visited various two wheeler factories for training, once told me the bikes will be ripped straight off the assembly line while testing. I don't think cars will be any different.

But on the flip side, the manual of my Alto mentions not to exceed 100 KMPH during the running in period. So let's hope the drivers observed at least this restraint!:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 1422566)
Its true that the cable of the speedo of my Scorpio too may have been disconnected. But the fact is that nowdays the Scorpios and Xylos are transported by truck-a welcome change. Even the Safaris are transported by trucks to the showroom.

I have seen a trailer load of Estates and sierra being transported to Bangalore from Pimpri, all the way through the ghats. Guess its being done since a long time.

when I got my punto delivered at ABS motors Gurgaon it had clocked
67 kms.
When I asked the sales guy, he said that their warehouse is away from the showroom. I felt 67 kms was way too much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar (Post 1421834)
Grande Punto is driven from its Ranjangaon plant to its Pune dealers.

Approximate distance is 55 km

Don't know how it is transported to other cities.

Around 1976, when my then 65-year-old grandfather wanted to take delivery of his new Ambassador Mark 3 he took the train from Cochin to Calcutta with his driver, and drove back all the way. The local dealer (Marikar Motors) apparently didn't have a ready stock of Ambys in those days. (Forget cars, even Bajaj scooters had a massive waiting list and new ones sold for a premium.) Anyway, the journey from Calcutta to Cochin took four days. I expect both the car and its occupants would have been run-in (for better or worse) by the time they got home. No Reliance A-1 plazas in the mid-70s, from what I remember. :D