Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 00:35   #1
BHPian

How to trace a car sold 15yrs ago?

My late father-in-law had an OMNI in Mumbai. It had a BLF registration I think, and was sold in 1994. Is there a way to find out if the car is still alive? And who is its present owner?

I can find out the registration number from some old photographs. Do you think this info is sufficient to locate a vehicle?
Old 8th August 2009, 00:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
My late father-in-law had an OMNI in Mumbai. It had a BLF registration I think, and was sold in 1994. Is there a way to find out if the car is still alive? And who is its present owner?

I can find out the registration number from some old photographs. Do you think this info is sufficient to locate a vehicle?
grease some hands in the RTO department and trace the current owner or last owner by the registration number it has the day it was sold!

have money, will work!
Old 8th August 2009, 00:59   #3
BHPian

Well, AP RTO is completely only. You can easily get registration details the car just by entering the number. However, you don`t get the add of the owner, you just get the name, date of regd., engine no, chassis no. etc.

I don`t know if MH has an online RTO like most of them here in south. Google it once. Or else as parm said, you would have to do it manually by working your way out by vitamin M.
Abbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2009, 05:04   #4
BHPian

its funny...i am trying to relocate my Dads first car maruti 800 from the 88. I have paid almost 1.5 lacs in bribes so far to all the officials to find and get that car for me...it was in UP and I still havent got a clue yet :(

It was a priceless piece which I will always cherish!
Old 8th August 2009, 07:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
its funny...i am trying to relocate my Dads first car maruti 800 from the 88. I have paid almost 1.5 lacs in bribes so far to all the officials to find and get that car for me...it was in UP and I still havent got a clue yet :(

You're kidding right? You paid 1.5 lakhs? I mean 1,50,000 Indian rupees? For a car which in pure financial terms is worth about 1/3rd that? Just to RTO officials? Dude, I'll become an RTO officer in your area! Career prospects seem fantastic!
Old 8th August 2009, 07:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

+1

Me too. Guess I wasted my years doing an MBA.

We need more people like you only!
Old 8th August 2009, 11:08   #7
BHPian

That's exactly the situation I do not want to get into. Being an emotional fool is fine but being blackmailed about it is not.

Unless there is evidence that the car is still alive, it does not make sense to pay a lot of money to trace its owner.
Old 8th August 2009, 13:26   #8
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

sentiments....emotions....priceless

for him it is priceless, i am sure he can spent more.....if he can afford obviously.....calling this situation a "emotional fool", is a foolish thing in my opinion.

many a times money is not the thing

Quote:

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th August 2009 at 15:40. Reason: please read the note in post, thanks
lastmanstanding is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2009, 11:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Looking at the cars he owns in his signature i am sure 1.5 lakh is peanuts for him. But i am a strong supporter of your emotions. I just hope you find the car one day.
Abbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2009, 13:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Looking at the cars he owns in his signature i am sure 1.5 lakh is peanuts for him. But i am a strong supporter of your emotions. I just hope you find the car one day.
Money is money friend, just because someone has expensive cars doesnt mean the undervalue $$$. Its just the sentimental side that pushes you. I infact am trying to find my dad's RX from his hooligan days.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:32   #11
BHPian

There is something called 'information letter' (RTO agents call it so) which you can get from the RTO upon application for the same. This letter contains vehicle registration details, name and address of the owner.

I had such a letter for my Indigo GLS two and half years back from Pune RTO, before purchasing it second hand. Remember paying the RTO agent Rs.150/- or so. Though the car is sold by me before a year, I will check for papers for this 'information letter' and update here.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:24   #12
BHPian

in karnataka there is something called as B-EXTRACT,the fees is 10 rupees,this will give you all the information a chassis book has,going directly & paying the fees is a problem though,catch hold of an agent pay him 100 rupees & the work will be done.
Old 10th August 2009, 23:42   #13
BHPian

Thank you to all who replied. Just a clarification: the emotional fool thing was not directed at any member but myself.

Back to the topic; I have spoken to a couple of guys in the RTO, lets see what happens. Since the car has an old series number, it makes it that much more difficult to trace. Most records would be manual and not computerised.
Old 18th April 2020, 14:03   #14
BHPian

Re: How to trace a car sold 15yrs ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Thank you to all who replied. Just a clarification: the emotional fool thing was not directed at any member but myself.

Back to the topic; I have spoken to a couple of guys in the RTO, lets see what happens. Since the car has an old series number, it makes it that much more difficult to trace. Most records would be manual and not computerised.
Were you guys able to locate it ?.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks