Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 00:32   #31
BHPian

i tried reciting the alphabet backwards (i.e. Z to A) - i must say i barely ever drink and you will certainly call me under the influence if you listen to the backward alphabet from me :-)
So i guess its best to ask person to walk on a straight line to see if they are under the inflience!
Old 18th August 2009, 00:46   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
here is what our precious Rule # 11 says:
11. Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking and driving. Posts that don't abide by this view, or containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly) will not be entertained on the forum. This rule affects all posts from 1st Jan 2009 onwards.

forget context, a rule is a rule. atleast thats what Ive been told time and again.
When you say post with alcohol content, what is meant is posts discussing Alcohol per se.
Here the thread and posts are discussing Indian DUI law.
If you search the forum there are threads which are reporting newly passed rules like "Drunk drivers to go to Jail".
This thread is not discussing alcohol, or hot to drink alcohol, and types of alcohol, its discussing DUI law, or more specifically - "Is DUI law in the country incomplete"
Old 18th August 2009, 09:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post

Bhang, grass, marijuana, whatevery you want to call it is just a harmless substance that happens to be much less harmful than alchohol. So any attempt to criminalize it is just plain uncalled for .
Dude are you making this statement based on experience? Don't tell me things like grass which are easily available cause less harm than alcohol. They alter the memory, reaction time and the physical activities which won't happen with normal sane drinking. I quote this from my vast experience indulging...

I know many people giving stupid reasons like grass does not add calories like alcohol. People tend to consume more food when they are on grass as food taste the best, I don't know the reason for it.
Old 18th August 2009, 09:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i tried reciting the alphabet backwards (i.e. Z to A) - i must say i barely ever drink and you will certainly call me under the influence if you listen to the backward alphabet from me :-)
So i guess its best to ask person to walk on a straight line to see if they are under the inflience!
Hehe, Jassi, try "ooda aida eedi...."

It is quite simple to find if a punju is drunk. If he is drunk, he will talk in English

RedMM, your post is just what i needed to start my day!
Old 18th August 2009, 09:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hehe, Jassi, try "ooda aida eedi...."

It is quite simple to find if a punju is drunk. If he is drunk, he will talk in English
what on earth is ooda aida eedi

and yeah i've seen punju people get drunk and start speaking english (although that rule does not apply to me)
Old 18th August 2009, 09:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
what on earth is ooda aida eedi
Thats what cops in Punjab will ask you to recite if they were to use the alphabet speaking ability as a benchmark for drunkenness!
Old 18th August 2009, 10:23   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bhang, grass, marijuana, whatevery you want to call it is just a harmless substance that happens to be much less harmful than alchohol. So any attempt to criminalize it is just plain uncalled for .
The Government of India and a lot of other countries would beg to disagree with you on this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I do not think consumption has been criminalised yet.
To quote from Narcotics Control Bureau
Quote:
The NDPS Act 1985 sets out the statutory framework for drug law enforcement in India.The main elements of the control regime mandated by the Act are as follows:

a)

The cultivation, production, manufacture, possession, sale, purchase, transportation, warehousing, consumption, inter-State movement, transshipment and import and export of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances is prohibited, except for medical or scientific purposes and in accordance with the terms and conditions of any license, permit or authorization given by the Government. (Section 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This thread is not discussing alcohol, or hot to drink alcohol, and types of alcohol, its discussing DUI law, or more specifically - "Is DUI law in the country incomplete"
As I mentioned earlier, the laws are complete, and cover the use of non-alcoholic mood-altering substances that were mentioned, under a separate Act than the MV Act. The enforcement of these laws may not be as forceful as desired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
  1. They are banned substances under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act, and prosecution and penalties for possessing or using them are far more severe than Section 185 of the MV Act;
  2. A section of the MV Act which empowers the Traffic Police to prosecute people for driving under the influence of banned substances would be meaningless, when more severe laws already exist to prosecute them, whether driving or not;
This thread appears to be gradually deteriorating into one, where the propriety of whether the matter should at all be discussed in view of the Forum Rule #11, is the main point of discussion. Since laws exist and we as motorists are aware about it, I would propose that this thread be closed.
Old 18th August 2009, 10:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thats what cops in Punjab will ask you to recite if they were to use the alphabet speaking ability as a benchmark for drunkenness!
oh my punjabi is bad, especially when i am reading it and not hearing it
i think ooda aida eedi is some song too.

Maybe in bangalore, they can check if one is drunk by making them recite kannada alphabet i am gonna be always drunk then!
Old 18th August 2009, 10:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:

I think that it is great that India can have laws independent of the rest of the world. Trying to copy every little rule that the west has regarding DUI or any other issue is just plain dumb. Why is it that every law in America should also be a law here in India...............
Its not about India copying the west or USA, it makes logic think of it this way they have been through this before us and it makes sense to adapt, no it doesn’t have to be copied as it is. Why reinvent the wheel, after all it makes sense to work smarter than harder right?

Another thing you said about some stuff being harmless is totally untrue otherwise why would it be called Driving Under Influence (DUI) and not drunk driving, it simply means that what ever the means you are incapable to operate motor vehicle efficiently as a normal sober average person.

Unfortunately the only way to confirm if a person has used drugs is for a urine or blood test; it is not simple as a breathalyzer.

A test used by some police departments in other countries to check sobriety are:

• A pupil dilation test. (Designed to test for presence of drugs.)

• Counting out 30 seconds. (Drug users either under-read or over-read time.)

• Walking in a straight line nine paces forward and then back. (This classic test checks co-ordination and balance.)

• Raising a foot in the air six to eight inches off the ground. (Designed to test balance.)

• Touching finger to nose with eyes closed. (This tests co-ordination.)
If a person fails this then he/she would have to take a urine or blood test as mentioned above.

A little OT, but drowsy driving is equally as dangerous as DUI. A study conducted by some researchers showed that being awake for 18 hours is an equal impairment of BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) level of 0.5, where as in most countries the legal BAC is 0.8 where as the legal limit as per my knowledge in India is a BAC of 0.3 (I am not sure of this number, please correct me if I am wrong).
Old 18th August 2009, 10:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps this is another way to test for drug influence?
Old 18th August 2009, 12:29   #41
BHPian

^^ amitoj - i completely agree - this looks like a good method to test people under the influence :-) better than reciting z to a or uda aida eedi !
Old 18th August 2009, 12:48   #42
BANNED

About other substances, Op__m consumption & driving is very very common. Most Taxi drivers, truck drivers consume it & their theory is that it helps in keeping concentrated & awake for long hours & keeps the fatigue away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks