Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2005, 17:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Urban Transport Policy and New Taxes on Private Vehicles?

Guys

Read this on the Indian Express online today. Has anyone heard of this new proposal? If yes, please post details of the provisions of this bill before it becomes law:

PS: The news item talks about the state government (of Kerala) applying a Central Government policy - I'm not sure whether this is a state or central subject, but the article does say that the UNION GOVERNMENT wants to levy a tax on private vehicles...

What happened to the Tax that we already pay and is supposed to be used for developing and maintaining roads?

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems...erala&Topic=0&

Tax on private cars will make driving on city roads smooth
Monday July 4 2005 12:31 IST

KOCHI: If the State government responds positively to the Union government’s clarion call to implement the new policy and levy tax for using private cars on congested city roads, it will make driving on Kochi roads hassle-free.

With an view to discouraging further proliferation of private motor vehicles and easing traffic congestion, the union government wants to levy dedicated taxes (on private car owners) that will be utilised for the funding of non-motorised urban public transport systems, segregated cycle paths, pedestrian paths and other infrastructure.

Called the Urban Transport Policy (UTP), the move aims at reducing motorised transport on roads and encouraging eco-friendly public transport system and bicycles.

A decision to implement Urban Transport Policy may stir a hornet’s nest in Kerala. But in cities like Kochi – which has narrow roads and no flyovers – driving is next to a nightmare. It’s said that even the corporates are shy to invest in the city after ruminating on the traffic hazards.

With effective public transport utilisation, the city can get rid of the congestion to a certain extent.

Contrary to the prejudice that opposition to it will be high from the business community, many businessmen in the city hailed the idea when this website’s newspaper talked to them.

“I think it will be a positive step. Traffic congestion in the city has crossed all limits. But the promise that the tax levied will be used for infrastructure development should be kept,” said C J George, managing director, Geojit Financial Services Ltd.

UTP is yet to happen, but Karnataka has already implemented a system of fining students who come to school in cars. They have to pool together if they are keen on coming to school in a car.

“Rules like these will keep Kochi’s growth in good stead. It’s said that the MG Road was constructed for 10,000 cars. Now it has multiplied many times. The move to restrict the number of private cars will do wonders for the city,” said M C Roy, a businessman.

The parking charges will also be increased to discourage the use of private vehicles in the city limits.
Old 4th July 2005, 17:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

I found a draft of the National Urban Transport Policy on the web after some Google research:

http://urbanindia.nic.in/mud-final-site/w_new/NUTP.pdf

Please read and comment.

More news:

http://www.allindianewspapers.com/in...2005062901.htm

Centre presents draft national urban transport policy

New Delhi, June 29 (PTI) The Centre today presented the draft of the national urban transport policy to states and union terrotories seeking to promote public transport system over private vehicles.

Under the policy, which would see increased funds allocation by the Centre for establishing modern transport systems, each city would develop its integrated master plan keeping in view its future growth around a pre-planned transport network.

Inaugurating conference of Chief Ministers of National Urban Transport Policy here, Union Urban Development Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said "we (the Centre) will encourage each city with a population of more than 40 lakhs to start planning for a mass transit system adopting a technology that would best suit the city requirements in a 30-year time-frame." Possibilities include buses on dedicated corridors, elevated sky bus and monorail system, electric trolley buses and underground metro systems.

Azad said even cities with population of 10 lakhs and above could be considered for some systems while the Government would encourage use of "non-motorised systems" like bicycles and walking throughout the country by building separate tracks and pedestrian paths.

This would be given priority under the National Urban Renewal Mission which seeks to provide Rs 50,000 crore to states in the next five years, he said.

"The conference was held to understand the views of different states and generally, they have all said that there is need for such a policy," he told reporters.
-- Courtesy Karnataka government and PTI under provisions for small and medium news publishers

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th July 2005 at 17:21.
Old 4th July 2005, 17:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have not heard of it, but more than taxes, I think a toll during rushhour would be better.
Old 4th July 2005, 18:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
I have not heard of it, but more than taxes, I think a toll during rushhour would be better.
typeO ,
may i suggest you edit (an delete) that lest some MLS/MP/govt. official sees that. these crooks are out to make money off us any which way possible as it is. we don't need to give them ideas.

as it is they are robbing us blind in some cases like the "toll" between mulund and thane. no additional facilities provided. just some day, some wise guy woke up and thought "hey lets start charging everyone who passes between mumbai and thane."

rush hour toll makes sense in cities like singapore where the govt. seriously provides facilities and puts some thought process into it. here, in india, this might just end up financing the SKODAS the MLAs/MPs are clamouring for as their official car.

worthless parasites !!!!
Old 4th July 2005, 20:17   #5
BHPian

To think about it from bangalore perspective, I think such a policy is long overdue.. But maybe not at the cost of penalizing the motorists.. Think of it, the poor city has over 4000 new car registrations every month and the infrastructure is just not upto the mark.. At times i thought that i can reach anywhere faster if i put on my sneakers and take a walk.. But, i can't afford to do that since walking itself is so risky in the city.. There is no space to take a walk.. One is forced to commute by cars/two-wheelers/public transportation.. Add to it the parking woes and you get a total mess..

I would be the first one to hang-up my keys, if the public transportation improved, a la-mumbai or newyork or shanghai.. Heck, that would make revving over the weekends on the outer-ring road that much more fun..
Old 5th July 2005, 11:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
typeO ,
may i suggest you edit (an delete) that lest some MLS/MP/govt. official sees that. these crooks are out to make money off us any which way possible as it is. we don't need to give them ideas.....
worthless parasites !!!!
Agree with you totally Venky! But think about it. Do you want to pay a hefty tax for no rhyme or reason? For example, you have a car, but don't use it to get around too much. That is why the key words in my post were - 'toll' and 'rush-hour'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks