Team-BHP - Peugeot to open plant near hyderabad, AP
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Peugeot to open plant near hyderabad, AP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/64132-peugeot-open-plant-near-hyderabad-ap.html)

source: local newspaper Sakshi click here (BTW this is the newspaper of CM YSR. So info could be correct)

news summary

Quote:

• France President Sarkozy to announce project during his visit to India in October
  • 400 acres land offered in chevvela near Hyderabad
  • 5000 crore investment
  • 10k new jobs
  • mid-size car in 2011
  • plant capacity: 30k units in first year, 50k units in second year, 100k units in third year

Cool! What is exactly that "mid-size" car going to be?.Will it be developed specifically for India? Or maybe the ugly 407..?!

That's a great news. Is Peugeot is developing a car that will best suit Indian road conditions & also fulfill the requirements of Indian Middle Class families ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by AyAn! (Post 1447903)
Cool! What is exactly that "mid-size" car going to be?.Will it be developed specifically for India? Or maybe the ugly 407..?!

ugly?? peugeots are beautiful. i love 308. even 407 is nice looking car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tushky (Post 1448002)

That is rather subjective.I only find the 407 ugly.Even the latest RCZ

I highly doubt this as I have my own doubts about Govt. in AP. There were so many industries planned for Hyd in hardware city/nano park etc.. but none of them realized.

I believe the best places to start industry is tamilnadu/gujarat etc.

Nothing personal, but my 2 cents

I still remember the AP-VW fiasco. lol I hope they do a better job this time. If I were an automobile company, the two states I would look at seriously are Maharashtra and Tamilnadu.

Setting up a Auto mobile plant means a lot. Plenty of ancillary units have to gear up to be in a position to supply at short notice (2-3 hours). This is a herculean task and just land or infrastrusture is not the only criteria. Being a Hyderabadi I would love to see this happen,I keep my fingers crossed as this means employment to so many,and it will do our Nation Proud. Peugeot was always my favourite and some of our other Car brands also do have Peugeot Engines. How I wish we will soon spin out thousands such cars from our own land.

I hope this works out. It would be interesting to see how Peugeot fares in india - hopefully they'll bring the 207 for a price that matches swift.

cheers!

Sounding like a repeat of the VW saga where AP govt starts to celebrate and no word from the car company.

It would be great for Hyderabad to have an European car manufactured in the city.
we can forget the VW saga as its one abberation.Every state has its play point.

I hope they are more committed this time around. Atleast more than the Almost absent Nissan and just there VW group.

Also I think Pune, Sanand-Halol and IDC areas near Delhi make a more compelling case for Peugot.

I highly doubt if it is going to work out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AyAn! (Post 1447903)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tushky (Post 1448002)

407 is a nice looking car and is full of gizmos as well.

But I feel even if Peugot brings any car, it will be the 207 in the B Category and Sedan version of 308 in the C category.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by niv26 (Post 1448022)
I highly doubt this as I have my own doubts about Govt. in AP. There were so many industries planned for Hyd in hardware city/nano park etc.. but none of them realized.

I believe the best places to start industry is tamilnadu/gujarat etc.

Nothing personal, but my 2 cents

Quote:

Originally Posted by venkman (Post 1448091)
Setting up a Auto mobile plant means a lot. Plenty of ancillary units have to gear up to be in a position to supply at short notice (2-3 hours). This is a herculean task and just land or infrastrusture is not the only criteria. Being a Hyderabadi I would love to see this happen,I keep my fingers crossed as this means employment to so many,and it will do our Nation Proud. Peugeot was always my favourite and some of our other Car brands also do have Peugeot Engines. How I wish we will soon spin out thousands such cars from our own land.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillram (Post 1448167)
It would be great for Hyderabad to have an European car manufactured in the city.
we can forget the VW saga as its one abberation.Every state has its play point.

Setting up a car manufacturing plant with no supporting environment is a really hard task. Even if Peugeot plant starts manufacturing now, It will not be in a position to sell great volumes in the next 5 years. As the volumes are low, no component manufacturer will be ready to have a separate setup near the manufacturing plant and most of the components have to be sourced from the already existing auto manufacturing belts, mainly from Maharashtra or Tamilnadu or should be imported. This is not a cost effective solution. If the AP government already has an agreement with Peugeot, they should be allotting lands at the southern border of AP, bordering with chennai. This will make this project commerically and logistically viable.