Team-BHP - VW Tiguan: Launch date? Spotted testing? Service complaints?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   VW Tiguan: Launch date? Spotted testing? Service complaints? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/64153-vw-tiguan-launch-date-spotted-testing-service-complaints.html)

Mod Note: Our Tiguan Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Any news of the VW Tiguan launch date? Has anyone seen or maybe taken photos of test mules in India?

The following site is predicting a September 2009 launch:
Upcoming cars in India - DriveInside.com

Are current VW India owners satisfied with the service?

SPoke to the dealer who said it will come in another two years. Focus is on creating volume sales

2 years is a long time, i think it should be here somewhere this time next year.

Trust me I drove the Tiguan in the US few months back and honestly was left quite disappointed, While it looks nice from certain angles, Interior is nice and a pretty safe design, but I was just not happy with the car for the amount of money you spend on it, I mean the configuration I drove was pretty close to 40,000 USD + and then when you look at the new RAV4, the Tiguan starts fading away. That's my opinion of course but do check it in person and you might agree with what I'm saying

A ton of auto-mags have proclaimed at some point or the other that the VW Tiguan is coming to India. It was supposed to be launched in '09, now they say itll be launched in '10. Curiously enough, VW's has been absolutely mum about the Tig - no announcements whatsoever and no one's ever spotted a camouflaged Tig undergoing testing. Amid the bustle of the upcoming Polo/Polo sedan/ Beetle launch, there's been no news whatsoever about the Tiguan.

So knowledgeable junta - if you'll know anything official about the status of the Tig's India launch (which hasnt come from a dealers mouth - ive had more than my share of contradictory dealer conversations : ) ), please do enlighten.

Also, if anyone's either seen or gotten pics of Tig undergoing testing on Indian roads, do share the same.

I think VW may have to rethink after the success of Fortuner. First of all, they will need to price it to perfection. They are also aware of certain facts that in India, BIGGER is BETTER. Indians like BIG'n'BUTCH 7 Seater SUV's. Tiguan is compact 5 seater. I think they will need to price their diesel version no more than 20 lacs Ex.Sh. if they are dreaming to do any volumes. As GTO pointed out in some thread, in India, perception plays a big role rather than Technology (especially in this segment.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone (Post 1572503)
I think VW may have to rethink after the success of Fortuner. First of all, they will need to price it to perfection. They are also aware of certain facts that in India, BIGGER is BETTER. Indians like BIG'n'BUTCH 7 Seater SUV's. Tiguan is compact 5 seater. I think they will need to price their diesel version no more than 20 lacs Ex.Sh. if they are dreaming to do any volumes. As GTO pointed out in some thread, in India, perception plays a big role rather than Technology (especially in this segment.)

20 is also too high IMO. Around 16-17 would be good.

16-17 is a price band for Jetta. Tiguan will come in same segment as Passat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone (Post 1572687)
16-17 is a price band for Jetta. Tiguan will come in same segment as Passat.

I doubt it well sell in high numbers if priced around 22-23 OTR

1) VW is now late to enter into the market. Fortuner has literally turned around fortunes. VW Tiguan is a very nice car and VW could have made a good market with this car if they came in early. Its not very large like Fortuner, so for city driving it would be a bit easier. IMO, Tiguan has a handing advantage over Fortuner.

But with Fortuner here, Tiguan does not stand any chance of getting success. Fortuner has literally crushed the competition.

2) Where will they place Tiguan ? VW group's way of placing the car in market has always amused me. Look at Laura and Jetta. I think Passat hardly sells and then. Laura is getting more sales than Jetta. Now that is advantage of early moving in to market.

Tiguan has to be in the band of Laura to get reasonable sales. If this happens, there are full chances that Laura will sell less. Even sales of Jetta, which are low in the first place, will suffer. Anything above that price range ( Rs. 15-16 lakh OTR ), the car will fail. Bigger competition is available there.

VW has literally messed up with pricing and this is the reason why they are not able to bring in models that can get sales for them. Another problem is of Skoda brand.

Tiguan is not coming to India mostly IMO.

[quote=aaggoswami;1573976]1) VW is now late to enter into the market. Fortuner has literally turned around fortunes. But with Fortuner here, Tiguan does not stand any chance of getting success. Fortuner has literally crushed the competition.

I dont believe its too late for a German diesel SUV to enter the 17-20 lakh landscape in India. Who else is there in this diesel segment - Captiva, Fortuner, X-trail? That more or less sums it up. But in the VW, we are looking at a true German bred SUV, scoring top ratings in all crash tests (5 stars in ENCAP, 20/20 stars in NHTSA, Best Pick from IIHS including highest ever roof crush ratings) The car is built to the highest engineering standards in the world and isnt a compromised 3rd world solution like the Fortuner or another rebadged Korean like the Captiva. IMO, quality conscious buyers will definitely appreciate the Tig enough for it to sell in good numbers.

Tiguan has to be in the band of Laura to get reasonable sales. If this happens, there are full chances that Laura will sell less. Even sales of Jetta, which are low in the first place, will suffer. Anything above that price range ( Rs. 15-16 lakh OTR ), the car will fail. Bigger competition is available there.

Oh c'mon seriously ? So basically the implication is - there is no scope for the Tig unless it significantly undercuts even rivals like the CRV and the Captiva, both of which retail on-road for around 20L, base model. I, for one, certainly believe that the Tig can well be priced at a slight premium over the CRV (not a significant one) and still manage great numbers - itll be new, itll have a premium image, itll have better engineering integrity than pretty much every other SUV till the Merc-Ms etc, itll have a decent diesel engine and importantly will be supported by a dealer network, twice as large as the current set-up.

I think Passat hardly sells and then. Laura is getting more sales than Jetta. Now that is advantage of early moving in to market.

Lets look at it this way - Till now VW had about 20 dealers and a 1 year face time in India. Skoda s been around for several years and has a dealer network of over 50. In spite of that, the Jettas managing a decent 220-250 monthly figure while the Laura clocks approx 500 and the Octavia approx 150-170. I think there is every reason for VW to believe theyre doing just fine, thank you.

For once, Fortuner is not comparable to Tiguan. Fortuner is crude and too huge for city use while Tiguan is technological marvel with way more advanced diesel and petrol engines and is overall laden with technology and gadgets. More importantly, it boasts of car like dynamics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone (Post 1574869)
For once, Fortuner is not comparable to Tiguan. Fortuner is crude and too huge for city use while Tiguan is technological marvel with way more advanced diesel and petrol engines and is overall laden with technology and gadgets. More importantly, it boasts of car like dynamics.

agree:
Tiguan will most likely be competeing with CRV and X-trail in India. IMO the price will surely be in the 22+lakh region. Fortuner is Toyota's work horse for the masses, so only the Toyota Rav4 can be compared to the CRV/X-trail/Tiguan. But in India size does matter and these soft-roaders have a huge disadvantage over the Fortuner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R17 (Post 1574303)

1) I dont believe its too late for a German diesel SUV to enter the 17-20 lakh landscape in India. Who else is there in this diesel segment - Captiva, Fortuner, X-trail? That more or less sums it up. But in the VW, we are looking at a true German bred SUV, scoring top ratings in all crash tests (5 stars in ENCAP, 20/20 stars in NHTSA, Best Pick from IIHS including highest ever roof crush ratings) The car is built to the highest engineering standards in the world and isnt a compromised 3rd world solution like the Fortuner or another rebadged Korean like the Captiva. IMO, quality conscious buyers will definitely appreciate the Tig enough for it to sell in good numbers.

2) Oh c'mon seriously ? So basically the implication is - there is no scope for the Tig unless it significantly undercuts even rivals like the CRV and the Captiva, both of which retail on-road for around 20L, base model. I, for one, certainly believe that the Tig can well be priced at a slight premium over the CRV (not a significant one) and still manage great numbers - itll be new, itll have a premium image, itll have better engineering integrity than pretty much every other SUV till the Merc-Ms etc, itll have a decent diesel engine and importantly will be supported by a dealer network, twice as large as the current set-up.

3) Lets look at it this way - Till now VW had about 20 dealers and a 1 year face time in India. Skoda s been around for several years and has a dealer network of over 50. In spite of that, the Jettas managing a decent 220-250 monthly figure while the Laura clocks approx 500 and the Octavia approx 150-170. I think there is every reason for VW to believe they're doing just fine, thank you.

1) Tiguan a true German SUV ? I think the correct term would be Crossover SUV. Tiguan is based on A5 platform ( also called PQ35 ) which is the base for Laura also ( Laura is second generation Octavia ). IIRC, Tiguan is fully independent suspension all round. While this is good for on road dynamics and driving, its not the best for off-roading. So in any case, Tiguan is not a true SUV.
Next, Fortuner may be based on IMV platform, but it has its own positive points. Innova is based on same platform and it certainly is quite good without doubt. Captiva, though Korean rebadged is a very competent product with Italian ( VM Motori ) RA 420 motor. It has scored 4/5 in ENCAP.

About German engineering, I doubt that they are really reliable. Fabia that is sold in India is based on PQ24, also called A04. Its reliability is well discussed on TBHP. Clearly, German engineering is not the word that will bring in buyers.
Even Passat faces issues with DSG, Skoda Superb has problems, Fabia has problems. I dont call it reliable engineering.

2) Tiguan will not be the best till M class level. LC Prado comes in between. The issue of engineering that offers reliability comes in. Jetta diesel motor drinks engine oil, Passat's motor has good appetite for engine oil. About reliability issues, there is quite a bit of discussion that has taken place. So the engineering, I think, is either lacking or is not suitable for India or they did not care to test the cars in India.
Calling this car as the best engineered car till M class its not something I can digest.

3) VW is expanding its dealer network is good news. They offer better A.S & S. than their group Skoda. Jetta sold around 157 last month, not in range of 250. Jetta sales could easily have been better IMO. May be the dealer network will play a bigger role later on.

At the end of the day, for the given price, others will offer more space and practicality than Tiguan. That is what I think. Add to that difference of 5 and 7 seats.

Lads,

For most Indians, technology is simply another word.
For an Indian SUV buyer ( i.e., typically a well loaded gent or a politico) it is the image of a large car, lots of flashy chrome perhaps, lots of features which have nothing to do with driving dynamics ( such as x speakers, dvd compatibility, TV screens and so on) which matter.

Other than SUV purists, for the clientele referred to above, any large, truck like SUV will do, as long as it can carry 6-7-8 people, has effective airconditioning and looks to threaten you off the road.

Obviously, fuel efficiency is important, prices of spares is important. That's more or less it.

If VW can bring in something with these attributes, it will have a seller in its hands; else it can create niche segments for buyers who understand and appreciate SUVs.

IMHO, VW wants to broaden its presence - an SUV might not do that. A well built hatchback or a family sedan ( such as the Polo platform) can.

Passat and Jetta will remain relatively lower sellers - one reason being these cars have an understated look and feel and the other that these share platforms with Skoda (which is no sin as almost all auto majors share platforms nowadays). A Golf GTi will also be a niche seller in India.

The VW focus on the Polo seems to be a sound strategy to build presence.

Regards