Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2009, 11:09   #1
BHPian

In general, what parts do car warranties not cover?

I was surprised to read in one of the threads that the clutch is not covered by the warranty. I'm sure there are many other parts which are also not covered but people like me are not aware of it. Whenever, I buy my new car I'll now first ask the dealer to give me in writing what the warranty covers and does not cover. May be, I can then negotiate on the warranty too. I wonder if members can give their valuable inputs on this aspect.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:04   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Generally, two types of warranties. Bumper-to-bumper (which are standard with each new car, and therefore the most common) and engine / transmission warranties (typically extend longer than the BTB warranty. Hyundai pioneered this concept, others followed with limited success).

Most factory warranties will NOT cover general wear & tear parts. Think of them like consumables:

- Clutch
- Brake pads
- Fuses
- Bulbs
- Tyres & battery (usually covered by their own independent manufacturers)
- Rubber belts & hoses
- Wiper blades
- Etc.
Old 31st August 2009, 07:18   #3
BANNED

ivar1951 : When you are going to purchase new car, ask the guys to show you a owner's manual. The warranty terms will be well defined in that.
Old 31st August 2009, 07:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Electricals are not typically covered. They say warranty is towards engine and drivetrain components.
Old 31st August 2009, 07:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

C

@ Ivar: In general a Clutch plate is not covered under warranty but if there is a manufacturing defect or abnormal failure, then it is covered. Apart from that you don't have warranty of ruber items, some plastic items et al.

But at the end of the day, honouring the warranty commitment depends on the dealer and your relationship with them.
Old 31st August 2009, 13:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
I was surprised to read in one of the threads that the clutch is not covered by the warranty.
Clutch is in a "gray" area w.r.t. warranty on new car.

In my car clutch gave up in 2k kilometers. It was replaced during free service. Did not have to pay anything since it was covered under warranty.
Old 31st August 2009, 14:20   #7
BHPian

I have yet to pay a single paisa towards any rubber component that has had to be replaced in my car.
Old 31st August 2009, 14:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
But at the end of the day, honouring the warranty commitment depends on the dealer and your relationship with them.
I fully agree, If one has co-ordial relationship with the dealer, service center then things are easier. It is a normal human tendency, we try to avoid often irritating, complaining and not appreciative customers.
In such cases , often dealers might enforce stricter version of the warranty clause interpretation.

Hence persuasive approach is better than confronting approach when we expect better service.
Old 31st August 2009, 19:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

In my car clutch gave up in 2k kilometers. It was replaced during free service. Did not have to pay anything since it was covered under warranty.
Mine was at 12 thousand kilometers, If the pressure plate is faulty, which is covered under warranty ( as told to me) They go ahead and replace the clutch plate and flywheel at their cost too.
Old 31st August 2009, 20:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Electricals are not typically covered. They say warranty is towards engine and drivetrain components.
Electrical Parts are very much covered in Warranty of all major manufacturers. It is certain parts such as Fuse & bulbs are considered consumable. In fact, most manufacturers would provide extra fuses and bulbs for an average warranty period life.

On the other hand, It is very easy to void warranty on electrical parts by installation of ICE systems, High powered headlight bulbs (Xenon, et al), Neons, Power Window systems, Sun-Roofs, etc.

A lot of warranty issues also depend on dealer. So, good relations with dealership service staff is a good practice. Who knows when you need them !
Old 31st August 2009, 20:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Another case in point is my friend's Baleno which he bought from True Value with 17k on the clock. The clutch started behaving funny within a month but the dealer refused to honour any warranty. Pushed to the wall, my friend wrote an email to Jagdish Khattar and got his clutch replaced free of cost within a week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks