Team-BHP - Sumo Grande gets a grander heart?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Sumo Grande gets a grander heart? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/66562-sumo-grande-gets-grander-heart.html)

During a discussion, I came to know that Sumo Grande is getting an improved version of 2.2 Dicor engine, with increase in HP and torque to match the safari spec.
Also, some mechanical improvements and AC cooling improvements along with minor changes to interiors are expected.

Training is taking place today.

possibly they should knock out the Sumo Grande completely from the stable because it simply hasnt sold in the numbers expected. somehow the poor beast looks way too much like a ponderous, heavy and unmaneuverable sort of vehicle.

tata should concentrate on improving their quality and trim levels and possibly reduce some of the variants they have created.

their basic principles are first class - they just need high quality execution to complement it.

What a Grand Idea!

Now with more torque and power it is even more easy to topple the shoe box!

Bravo Tata for concluding that the reason for failure was lack of power!

Its still not going to work. The engine is not the issue. The issue is that the Sumo is a utilitarian car that's not utilitarian anymore, nor is it viable as a personal vehicle. Its caught in no man's land and the new engine will hardly make a difference.

Why not simply tune that engine back up to its original figures?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushanthr77 (Post 1510218)
Now with more torque and power it is even more easy to topple the shoe box!

Is 'looking unstable' (very subjective) the same as being unstable?

Unless you have some test data to back up.

Quote:

theMAG : Why not simply tune that engine back up to its original figures?
Yes, the simplest, easiest way is to just use the 2.2VTT that powers the Safari. No re-tuning required.

Sid, wont be surprised if you mistook the above for a new engine.

I guess they should remove the name "Sumo" from its name. The picture that comes to my mind when I hear Sumo is that it is a transport vehicle and not anymore a personal vehicle.

I don't think that the poor sales are due to the current engine. The whole package is messed up. They need to write this off along with the JLR acquisition as one of Tata's biggest flops.

I fail to understand why the Grande didnt do well, it was well advertised, they created enough hype for it. I find it far better looking than the Xylo, may be the build quality and the reliability is low but with TATA's that has always been the case. Even the Xylo's plastic and interiors are no great shakes. The pricing is more or less at par too. Why is it then that the Xylo is selling and the Grande doesnt.

This is just an attempt to bring life to a dead product. Out of sight is out of mind. By reviving the product TATA wants to bring attention. They are following Zen estio's product revival strategy. I feel TATA cars sell because they either deliver terrific value for money (Indica and its iterations) or they appeal to the heart (Safari). What they dont deliver is quality. There are simply too many problems and its like a norm to wait for TATA to sort out its problems before buying them. Grande seems to be the prey of this popular beilef. They broke this feeling by delivering a good product like Vista, but Grande still shares too many components from SUmo and manages to look uglier which neither delivers value nor appeals to heart. This vehicle needs a face lift soon

All the best TATA!

(Thinking back, i can only laugh at discussions which concluded Grande will kill Scorpio!)

Making it more powerful will not make it much more likeable, Dropping prices would have helped more to the sales.

Sumo in its name and no Grande interiors. Dash board is from old Sumo victa and glove box , Front a/c vents are from Indica V2.

A UV targetted as personal buyers has not been provided with ABS, airbags. Pricing was wrong.

Had TATA officially announced the 60K discount as price correction along with dropping of Sumo tag, sales could have picked among personal car buyers.

Taxi brand tag, poor interiors, NO ABS, high price, killed it. :Frustrati

Hope Tata learns the lesson and makes correction in their strategy.:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranc (Post 1510318)
I fail to understand why the Grande didnt do well, it was well advertised, they created enough hype for it. I find it far better looking than the Xylo,

Agree with you. I found it easily better looking than Xylo. The plastics of Grande is poorly finished. Those of Xylo is poorly made. The handling of Grande is almost hatch level compared to Xylo! Wonder why Xylo is raved about while Grande is just plain blunder. Its obvious that these days rationality also is subjective! :)

One Mr.Sumo Grande was searching something outside his house. Mr.Tavera, his neighbour asked him, what are you searching. Sumo replied, i lost my safety pin inside my house, and since there is no light inside, i am looking for the pin where there is light.