Team-BHP - Honda acknowledges Hyundai....at last!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Honda acknowledges Hyundai....at last! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/66889-honda-acknowledges-hyundai-last-6.html)

Slow and Steady wins the race, Hyundai is capturing the world market at a breath taking pace. I always wanted my first car to be a maruti, considering the good service back up as well as trouble free engines, but the irony is that my first car happened to be a hyundai.

These pros were the deciding factors:

1) Nicely engineered body.
2) Good Engine
3) Good interiors
4) Good and improving service back up
5) Saftey and features are upclass.

This is bound to happen. Success has gone to Jap heads to the point of complacency. See how steadfastly Honda says Indian diesel is no good for their diesel engines when the big daddies BMW and Merc have no such problem here. See how Toyota is happy with just Innova and not bringing diesel Corollas or Camrys. See how Mitsubishi is sleeping over new Lancer launch.

Today Hyundai is 4th largest car maker in the world, way bigger than Honda and Suzuki. If this trend continues it won't be long before they dethrone Toyota from the top spot. Samsung has already done that to Sony.

In Indian context, I would be even more happy because I am sick and tired of listening to how good a Toyota or Honda is, by the auto mags. These mags have made it a mission to shove Toyo/Hon products down our throats even when they are priced absurdly high and are devoid of features. This guy Bert's article in July issue of Overdrive is sickening. He goes overboard praising Honda Jazz. After reading his article you feel like asking this guy how much moolah Honda paid him for his crappy article. Good thing that Jazz bombed. It didn't sell even one fifth of i20s. While Maruti and Tata went from hatch(Swift, Indica) to sedan(Dzire, Indigo), Honda went from sedan(City) to Hatch(Jazz). Honda were so confident of Jazz that they priced it more than NHC. Overdrive even suggested that Jazz made a better buy than even the latest City. I am not at all a fan of Hyundai. In fact I find most of their cars ugly, yet they have earned a formidable reputation in Indian market and even abroad to some extent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 1571173)

Today Hyundai is 4th largest car maker in the world, way bigger than Honda and Suzuki. If this trend continues it won't be long before they dethrone Toyota from the top spot. Samsung has already done that to Sony.

In Indian context, I would be even more happy because I am sick and tired of listening to how good a Toyota or Honda is, by the auto mags. These mags have made it a mission to shove Toyo/Hon products down our throats even when they are priced absurdly high and are devoid of features. This guy Bert's article in July issue of Overdrive is sickening. He goes overboard praising Honda Jazz. After reading his article you feel like asking this guy how much moolah Honda paid him for his crappy article. Good thing that Jazz bombed. It didn't sell even one fifth of i20s. While Maruti and Tata went from hatch(Swift, Indica) to sedan(Dzire, Indigo), Honda went from sedan(City) to Hatch(Jazz). Honda were so confident of Jazz that they priced it more than NHC. Overdrive even suggested that Jazz made a better buy than even the latest City. I am not at all a fan of Hyundai. In fact I find most of their cars ugly, yet they have earned a formidable reputation in Indian market and even abroad to some extent.

Bert is not the only one and that missionary zeal is not restricted to mags, several members of the public are keen to push their favourite cars down peoples throats. I remember one lady desperately trying to convince me to buy a Santro when I was looking for a large Diesel saloon. :Frustrati

I am not sure that the Jazz has bombed and would wait for a bit to pass verdict. The Jazz pricing probably has some logic behind it, otherwise Honda would never have priced it over the pricey ANHC (notwithstanding the deceased thread - may its soul R.I.P).

Hyundai on the other hand have been plugging away systematically till they have an enviable product range and have over the years built up a solid customer base who swear by the Hyundai features, A.S.S. and reliability. I have noticed that once people buy a Hyundai, they tend to upgrade to another car within the Hyundai range.

Like pgsager, I am not a Hyundai fan and have never owned one and have no intentions of buying one in the forseeable future.

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 1571173)

While Maruti and Tata went from hatch(Swift, Indica) to sedan(Dzire, Indigo), Honda went from sedan(City) to Hatch(Jazz).

So? Anything wrong with that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravveendrra (Post 1571225)
Like pgsager, I am not a Hyundai fan and have never owned one and have no intentions of buying one in the forseeable future.

Neither am I!

BUT, got to admit that Hyundai is going up the ladder very fast. Cars like the i10 made me :thumbs up. My WagonR feels like a commercial vehicle in comparison of the interiors/ interior quality when you suddenly switch from an i10 to the WagonR.

And they are getting rewarded for giving good quality at reasonable prices. i10 sales are at around 12000 cars this month, while the high priced i20 has sold around 4500 cars! Among the Japs- Suzuki should learn a thing or two about quality from them, and Honda can learn about pricing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 1571459)
Neither am I!

BUT, got to admit that Hyundai is going up the ladder very fast. Cars like the i10 made me :thumbs up. My WagonR feels like a commercial vehicle in comparison of the interiors/ interior quality when you suddenly switch from an i10 to the WagonR.

And they are getting rewarded for giving good quality at reasonable prices. i10 sales are at around 12000 cars this month, while the high priced i20 has sold around 4500 cars! Among the Japs- Suzuki should learn a thing or two about quality from them, and Honda can learn about pricing!

+1
My friend who has a Swift loved the interiors and the overall fit and finish of my i10 A/T. Also he was cribbing that Maruti is not even offering an automatic transmission option across the range (the Wagon R's puny 3 speed auto box not worth mentioning). Hyundai has given automatics in Santro, i10, i20, Verna & Sonata, which almost covers the entire range of segments. I saw a Grand Vitara on Carter road the other day & they had the same steering from the SX4 and had a very bland dash. Compare that to the i20's soft brown interiors which look like a class apart. Only thing where Honda is going wrong, i feel, is their pricing. Ridiculous that if i want an automatic Civic i have to shell out 15L for a car that sells for 15-16,500 USD which is more loaded than the version we have here. I am happy that i got 4-speed Automatic (a boon is urban bumper-to-bumper traffic), Excellent interiors, 1.2L 80bhp power & Great A.S.S. network for only 4.5L on road.

**EDIT**
As Ravveendrra mentioned, this is my 2nd Hyundai after my Accent Viva.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravveendrra (Post 1571225)
The Jazz pricing probably has some logic behind it, otherwise Honda would never have priced it over the pricey ANHC (notwithstanding the deceased thread - may its soul R.I.P).

You mean the NHC don't you? ANHC is over 10L. I am one such Hyundai customer who has bought 3 Hyundai cars in a span of 5 years as you rightly said people like me would love to upgrade in the same product line but unfortunately it ends at 9L and then moves to 15L.

Wish they introduce a product in 10-12L to compete with likes of Civic,Cruze etc and i would be the first to buy that product as i can see from car to car their quality is improving by leaps and bounds with a marginal increase in price and i would know that it would again be a VFM product like i felt for my last 3 purchases.:thumbs up

since hyundai gets is made here and exported does it mean the gets is cheaper here than Europe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 1571532)
You mean the NHC don't you? ANHC is over 10L. I am one such Hyundai customer who has bought 3 Hyundai cars in a span of 5 years as you rightly said people like me would love to upgrade in the same product line but unfortunately it ends at 9L and then moves to 15L.

Wish they introduce a product in 10-12L to compete with likes of Civic,Cruze etc and i would be the first to buy that product as i can see from car to car their quality is improving by leaps and bounds with a marginal increase in price and i would know that it would again be a VFM product like i felt for my last 3 purchases.:thumbs up

Thank you for the correction.

Perhaps Hyundai has stayed away from the 9L to 15L bracket on purpose? Perhaps due to the strong competition there from the invincibles. Watching Hyundai's moves in that segment should prove interesting in the years to come.

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravveendrra (Post 1572063)

Perhaps Hyundai has stayed away from the 9L to 15L bracket on purpose? Perhaps due to the strong competition there from the invincibles. Watching Hyundai's moves in that segment should prove interesting in the years to come.

Once Suzuki launches the Kizashi in India, it might get extremely difficult for Hyundai to crack the segment.

As far as I know, Hyundai's upcoming Sonata (whenever it gets launched) has it all what it takes to keep the competition at bay. As far as I'm concerned it provides so much more than Kizashi when it comes to equipment and when it comes it's engine, it's R-Series Diesel mill will be leagues ahead of all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitronium (Post 1571432)
So? Anything wrong with that?

No. Nothing wrong with that. But why all this fuss about a new car which is boot-minus of an existing sedan? Like they have reinvented the wheel, they priced it higher than the sedan this car is derived from.

As for Hyundai, I think it is their quality cars ( relatively acceptable ) coupled with good A.S.S. which earned them the reputation they now have. I have never been a fan of Hyundai but two of their cars which I really liked never took off--- Elantra and Sonata. And the ugly looking Santro and i10 are such a big hit. Beats me why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 1572166)
No. Nothing wrong with that. But why all this fuss about a new car which is boot-minus of an existing sedan? Like they have reinvented the wheel, they priced it higher than the sedan this car is derived from.

Actually its the other way round the ANHC is based on the Jazz platform. Actually Jazz with the 1.5l engine is priced more than the City through out the world.The indian Jazz is a very competent product in all fronts except for the pricing.