Team-BHP - Cruze LTZ vs Jetta Comfortline vs Laura Elegance
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Cruze LTZ vs Jetta Comfortline vs Laura Elegance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/67447-cruze-ltz-vs-jetta-comfortline-vs-laura-elegance-3.html)

Chevy as is as or more worrying than Skoda if you look at competence, speed of service, premium treatment for premium cars, etc as a factor. But they score on 1 major factor, there have been no widely visible reports of a dealer replacing the parts of a Chevy like in the case of numereins for skoda.

All Skoda *** are not bad, some are quite good, and the same goes for Chevy they do have decent ***. Skoda has also faced some issue to to the 1.4 petrol engine that they released initially on the fabia and some lots had issues, besides it even seems that a few superbs too had issues. I guess all of these will get resoved in time.

Cruz is a safe bet from service point of view but there will always be a few not so competent outlets, the important thing is that in such case the company should back the car buyer, which GM is likely to do.

But I feel Skoda Dealers are pretty bad only on the northern part of India..Down south i haven't heard of had any problem( with my dealer in Madurai)..They provide good service except the one in Trivandrum(Marikar) Those guys are a pain in the back but as far as changing parts with duplicates..its pretty non existent here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanjohn123 (Post 1535664)
But I feel Skoda Dealers are pretty bad only on the northern part of India..Down south i haven't heard of had any problem( with my dealer in Madurai)..They provide good service except the one in Trivandrum(Marikar) Those guys are a pain in the back but as far as changing parts with duplicates..its pretty non existent here.

I have no info about parts exchange in Cochin but right here in this forum a member had to shell out more than he imagined in his wildest dreams just because the mechanics took a test drive of the car after the first service without putting in a drop of engine oil after draining it for some reason. Usually in such circumstance when the car is in warranty at the very least the engine should have been replaced but not so here. Because of this I managed to dissuade a friend of mine from buying the SuperbV6 and three others from buying the Laura. I have not followed up the case but their initial reaction made my decision to never recommend a Volkswagen group car in Kerala.

Leaving the after-sales aside, the Laura & Jetta offer a kind of finesse that the Cruze lacks. Sure, they are more expensive, but in my books, the Jetta (atleast) is worth the premium. The Cruze hits back with a lower price tag, way more powerful engine (against PD) and a non-Euro (in a good way) maintenance experience. Tough fight, lets wait for the market to decide.

What would be my pick in this segment? None of these. I'd put my money on the Sonata CRDi + 6 speed manual. The most spacious, great diesel engine, Hyundais stellar after-sales and excellent ride quality.

I think it's the Cruze that wins overall because of it's incredible VFM. The amount of equipment and horsepowers it gives for that money is truly amazing. However, taller people might have an issue with the rear space inside.
The Laura on the other hand is mighty expensive. It sure has one of the best diesel engines around but the level of equipment does not justify the price.
Same with the Jetta too. After all, they both are siblings :)

Can we make this a poll?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1535714)

What would be my pick in this segment? None of these. I'd put my money on the Sonata CRDi + 6 speed manual.

In theory - yes. But would you really do that? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RakishRam (Post 1536666)
In theory - yes. But would you really do that? :)

but it think its a segment above. it dosen't look like that but it actually is not matter how the features and stuff overlaps. you feel so comfy in sonata. and it comes with 6 airbags. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caramelo (Post 1537611)
but it think its a segment above. it dosen't look like that but it actually is not matter how the features and stuff overlaps. you feel so comfy in sonata. and it comes with 6 airbags. :D

Snob value matters here even if it offers more comfort or features. Sonata also doesnt have a character, its kinda bland and boring. VW Jetta has a better brand value than Sonata. Even Chevy Cruze vs Hyundai Sonata, as a young guy who wants to show off with his car, id choose Cruze.

Cruze all the way!

Reasons:

1. Value for Money - No other sedan in this price segment can boast of the features this car provides; forget about stonker of an engine.
2. Possibly Low Cost of Ownership - With 3 year warranty, things are going to get better.

IMO, this is a car for young blood and it's very refreshing.

If I were to spend 16-17 odd lacs on Jetta/Laura diesel, I would stretch my budget by couple of lacs and get the supercar of it's segment, i.e. Superb 1.8 TFSI. The whole idea is to get maximum bang for your buck and atleast Jetta is not up there when it comes to VFM.

The entire idea of stretching one's budget just doesn't click. Comparison should always be done between vehicles falling in similar price segment and having similar (if not same) features, starting all the way from engine. This comparison is little bit unfair ;)

Jetta and Laura are good city cars. How is Cruze on this metric ?

I have driven Jetta, have seen Cruze (in the showroom) and have seen the brochure of Laura.

My heart's verdict (heart is always price insensitive) :

Jetta Comfortline >> Cruze LTZ >> Laura Elegance

Jetta, however, is very unreasonably priced. Not surprizing - they make the parts in Europe, then ship them to Mexico to build the car, then knock the car down into a box and ship it to India, and finally re-assemble the car in India. So, the consumer ends up paying a lot of shipping costs (Europe->Mexico->India->to your dealership) as well as taxes/duties of three different countries.

So, the reasonable mind will never open the purse for a Jetta. Cruze wins here - it is the true VFM car in this segment.

Between Jetta and Laura it's always sensible to go for the Laura since they're both just so identical (except for the pricing).

Cruze is somethin totally different in our market.It's got more features and power packed for all the cash paid for it + 3 years warranty.I don't think GM could possibly screw up such a hot package in India clap:.

I would go for the jetta or the laura because the cruze lacks the solidity of the other two plus the jetta and laura would be more stable at high speeds. And also, the cruze doesnt come with an automatic option whereas both the skoda and the vw come with a DSG gearbox which i think is one of the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 1535147)
But to derate/ reject a car purely on service from 3 service outlets nationwide would not be appropriate.

3 service outlets????

Dear friend, would you want a dealer or a model wise break up ?

Wait and watch. Will post a list of litigants during the forthcoming lawsuit.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aparth (Post 1538685)
I would go for the jetta or the laura because the cruze lacks the solidity of the other two plus the jetta and laura would be more stable at high speeds. And also, the cruze doesnt come with an automatic option whereas both the skoda and the vw come with a DSG gearbox which i think is one of the best.

The Cruze A/T will be here soon. And the DSG is without doubt the best, but also the most unreliable automatic gearbox ever.

My choice would be the Cruze, I went to Talera Auto last week for a test drive of Cruze which they refused since they did not have a TD vehicle. The display vehicle, blue in color was fantastic. Although the build quality is nothing to write home about, I liked the interiors which are decades ahead of the VW/Skoda. The engine has a very BMW 3 series like silence, he started the car inside the showroom. The interior space is less but I wouldn't have cared since it's only me who drives the car. In fact the rear doors of my Fiesta that I drive become sticky (the rubber lining) because they are not opened for weeks.

I would give serious thought to GTO's out of the box suggestion Sonata Diesel.

Cruze LT is prized at 12.80 Lacs in Pune OTR and LTZ 2 lacs more.
Hey guys any idea what would be the pricing of the Cruze Petrol. I reckon it could be as less as 1 lac lower than the corresponding diesel. When is it coming?