Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:14   #1
BHPian

Toyota reveals its hatchback plans for India

At Tokyo Motor Show Autocar India has learnt that Toyota’s compact family car (code: EFC 800L) will be launched in India in two body styles, a saloon and a hatchback. The saloon will be launched in December 2010 or January 2011 and will be followed by the hatchback four months later.

More Info : :: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd October 2009 at 21:35. Reason: repeat news
Old 22nd October 2009, 18:34   #2
BHPian

I think its Toyota Yaris in hatchback and sedan body styles.
Old 22nd October 2009, 18:47   #3
BANNED

yes it is toyota yaris
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

1) Good news, but not the best package. This car is likely to come with 1.2 petrol engine.

2) The real surprise can be new gen Swift. Already the spy shots are there and I am sure that it will be more spacious than the current Swift. Then I think Toyota will have to come up with more exciting car than the Yaris.

Source of Toyota news : Toyota small car to be benchmarked against Swift, i20

Article :
Quote:
To take on the fierce price competition in the mass-market passenger car segment, Toyota's planned small car will be benchmarked against existing hatchbacks such as the Suzuki Swift and the Hyundai i20. It will be positioned at the premium end of the small car market and will be relevant to the Indian buyer's tastes and preferences.

Talking to Business Line, Mr Yoshinori Noritake, Chief Engineer, Product Planning, Toyota Vehicle Development Centre 2, said that the new car being developed by Toyota and due for launch by late next year or early 2011, will be within four metres in length and will be feature a 1.2-litre gasoline engine initially.

The same car platform and the same engine block could be used to develop a sedan with a slightly bigger, possibly, 1.5-litre petrol engine, he said. A diesel engine within the 1.5-litre engine size requirement (for the lower excise duty levy) may follow the petrol version.

Mr Noritake said that the company's development programme is taking into consideration a sizeable level of research that has been conducted on the Indian small car buyer's preferences by TKM. The design will be globally relevant and yet, enable Toyota to keep costs low, while the quality matches the company's global level of quality demands.

Though Toyota is working on keeping costs low by sharing components and by increasing the level of local sourcing, the company is still not going to compromise on some quality parameters.

One of those is reflected in the selection of a four-cylinder engine for the proposed car.

Though a three-cylinder engine may be cheaper to produce, Mr Noritake felt that it will lower the level of refinement of the car and so the choice was not made.

The small car will also be at least 10 per cent more fuel-efficient than a similar-size competing vehicle currently in the Indian market.
Old 22nd October 2009, 20:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Finally some concrete news! So the new hatchback wont be called the Yaris?? The most exciting part is a saloon version! Finally Toyota !!! Bring it on !!
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:07   #6
BHPian

As per the news release from Tokyo auto expo,
TOYOTA will showcase the hatch & sedan to be launched in India by the end of 2010 during the Auto expo in January 2010
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:17   #7
BHPian

What's funny though is that they're benchmarking their small car against the Swift and i20, while the positioning (read pricing) is planned at the premium end of the small car market (read Fabia and Jazz).

If Toyota can price its small car at a point competitive with the Swift, that'll really be something, but I highly doubt it.
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
If Toyota can price its small car at a point competitive with the Swift, that'll really be something, but I highly doubt it.
Toyota aims for 70% localisation , but i dont think it will reach pricing levels of Swift, by the time Toyota s hatchback hits our market the Next Gen Swift would also be launched in our market . I think Toyota would prefer pricing it between i20 and Jazz , if they want nos. then they gotta price it between Swift and i20.
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I think Toyota would prefer pricing it between i20 and Jazz , if they want nos. then they gotta price it between Swift and i20.
A Toyota hatch wouldn't be cheaper than a Hyundai. Looking at the Jazz, they sure will be foolish to price it in the same range but you never know. 50K less than Jazz and it will find quite a few takers. Toyota does have the same 'brand value' as the Honda.
Old 25th October 2009, 01:05   #10
BHPian

Toyota and their plans for India... Yawn! They are sleeping too...Honda is the one laughing all the way to their bank. Toyota doesn't seem to have any exciting products at the moment anyway.
Old 25th October 2009, 09:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Toyota and their plans for India... Yawn! They are sleeping too...Honda is the one laughing all the way to their bank. Toyota doesn't seem to have any exciting products at the moment anyway.
I think you have forgotten the Fortuner. Selling like a hot cake for a 20L car.
Old 25th October 2009, 09:48   #12
BHPian

This will mean more trouble for Honda City and Jazz and all other direct competitors, depending on the Toyota's pricing for these cars.

So the last of Honda's bastion in India, that is City is in for deep trouble due to impending competition from Toyota and Polo Sedan. Hope this will force Honda to come down from its high horse and offer some sensible pricing in India.
Old 25th October 2009, 09:50   #13
TOR
BHPian

Toyota with a small car would be the only company that could demand 'default' trust from the Indian customer and take the fight to Maruti Suzuki.
Old 25th October 2009, 16:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

I would love to buy the Yaris when they launch it in India. Its one superb small car. It very very utilitarian, fuss free and robust. And its a Toyota.
Old 25th October 2009, 16:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

good news for hatchback buyers from toyota india.this is the market where toyota is saying to come out with their car as well.Yaris which is heard would compete with jazz,i20 and punto.Any idea about its pricing of this new small car?any scoops?Sid where are you mate

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks