Team-BHP - Tata Motors or Maruti Suzuki -- Which will be in 1st five of global manufactuers?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Tata Motors or Maruti Suzuki -- Which will be in 1st five of global manufactuers? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/68166-tata-motors-maruti-suzuki-will-1st-five-global-manufactuers.html)

I read somewhere that in the next 10 years, an Indian company will be in the list of first five of global manufacturers. I say either Tata Motors or Maruti Suzuki with balance in favour of the latter despite Tata's acquistions abroad.

Tata has a long way to go; Suzuki maybe.

Please reread a thread title for spelling mistakes and punctuation before you post please.

Even if you expand the definition of manufacturers to include all vehicles (incl. two wheelers, commercial vehicles), this seems unlikely. Consider this, Suzuki's car sales at 2 million in 2008, Tata's at 238,000. Huge difference between those figs and >5 million for the top 5 makers. To achieve those figs seems impossible, and to get into the top 5 would also assume that the others will just stand by and watch the show.

The two makers mentioned-Suzuki and Tata, not likely. What the thread ignored was Hyundai/Kia which is already the sixth largest.

Bottomline: the article was written by a headline seeking journo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivar1951 (Post 1550728)
I read somewhere that in the next 10 years, an Indian company will be in the list of first five of global manufacturers. I say either Tata Motors or Maruti Suzuki with balance in favour of the latter despite Tata's acquistions abroad.

Off the two I wouldn't consider Maruti Suzuki as Indian anymore. All their counts will only add to Suzuki's tally. I would like to see Tata there. Another possibility is M&M. Tata has already bought leading global brands at peak of the market which might make them more cautious on subsequent acquisitions. M&M on the other hand hasn't made such high profile acquisitions (leaving aside their Tractor business abroad) and they will be in a position to enter global markets with selective acquisitions.

I think Maruti suzuki is now Suzuki only.

Suzuki is a big player in India and in Japan. Next is Europe. Suzuki currently is 12th largest as per volumes. So out of Tata motors and Suzuki, its Suzuki that has opportunity to get into top 5.

But that itself is a bit difficult. In the top 10, there is very stiff competition. Nissan, Honda, PSA are having a relatively good hold in Europe and Nissan is planning to enter Indian small car market. Suzuki will find it tough to get even into top 10 IMO.

This is not happening any time soon.

My vote goes for Tata. They are able to maintain a very step learnign curve, always. And the incremental improvements to their cars are great.

Compare this with MSIL (or Suzuki)'s often detestable insistence on "derating" vehicles to keep older models afloat (taking away the 5 speed gearbox from M800, taking away the 1L engine from the Alto, the estillo etc.).

If today's launch of the SX4 with automatic gearbox and VVT engine is anything to go by, I may be wrong though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasudeva (Post 1550834)
The two makers mentioned-Suzuki and Tata, not likely. What the thread ignored was Hyundai/Kia which is already the sixth largest.

Bottomline: the article was written by a headline seeking journo.

The mention was off Indian Origin. So Hyundai is out of the window.

Also as mentioned , Maruti is no longer in the " Indian Origin" category , was it ever in the Indian Origin Category ? , Dont think so.

If we have to be patriotic , Yes , would mention TATA , but dont think they will be there in the next 50 years or maybe 100 or maybe more.

[COLOR=black]
Quote:

Tata's at 238,000.

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Vasudev your figures are incorrect. Tata Motors has sold 27,341 vehicles in the half year ending 30th September 2009.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Source: Tata Motors press release dated 1st October.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][COLOR=black]http://www.tatamotors.com/our_world/press_releases.php?ID=473&action=Pull[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Which is pretty decent considering that the % of Indian population which can afford to buy a car is still negligible compared to US/UK/Japan/Europe.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]How ever this will change once the Sanand Plant comes online and Tata start full production of Nano.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]With Nano we can definitely expect a lot of two wheeler buyers switching to Nano who account for close to a million two wheelers per month. Hero Honda alone sell close to 3-4 lakh vehicles per month.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]And the JLR acquisition wasn’t such a bad decision. Tata has reported a growth of 12.7% in its Net revenue for quarter ended 30th Sep as compared to the corresponding quarter last year.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]So I guess they should make it within the next 5-10 years.[/COLOR]

my guess is, whoever get bought of first by the top five of the world.

i think automobile industry especially the car market is still in infancy in india.

a lot of it has to do with us still being in the third world.

Quote:

I have read somewhere on Team BHP itself that Hyundai is now the 4th largest global car manufacturer. Correct me if I am wrong!

10 years? only if that's 10 Jupiter years. Maruti Suzuki is Suzuki. It's as Indian as Toyota Kirloskar Motors. As for Tata/M&M, first they have to be regarded as quality manufacturers in India and not just taxi/bus builders. Then they have to find acceptability in Western markets and maybe then they might just have a sniff of being in top 10. Can't see that happening in the next few decades.

I would love to TATA and M&M in the list of Top Automobile companies in the world. But the timeline mentioned ie 10 years looks like an impossible task, you never know!!!:D

10 years is a small time for tata as well as mahindra to be know as indian origin to be at world's top charts, but who knows:D

I would say it would take atleast 15 years for Tata motors to be a worldwide car manufacturer . That would mean another 2 or 3 generation changes in its current line up and addition of newer models in other segments . As for a top five spot , that would be very difficult . I guess that would mean market dominance in the BRIC countries and ofcourse USA , Europe and China .
I dont consider Maruti Suzuki as an " Indian " car manufacturer just like so many others on this forum .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels (Post 1551093)

[COLOR=black]Vasudev your figures are incorrect. Tata Motors has sold 27,341 vehicles in the half year ending 30th September 2009.[/COLOR]

The figure was for year ended March 31, 2009, which is the figure to be used when comparing yearly figs. For half year ended Sep 2009, Tata sold 124677 cars/light trucks including exports.