Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 11:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
I think this 32k would be life time road tax & not for five years.It's just that you will have to renew your registration after five years but you won't have to pay any more road tax at that time, just the renewal fees.
AFAIK you have to pay the road tax again after 5 years.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:58   #17
BHPian

^^ I second that. Payed ~ 26K as taxes for my 6 yr old car last year!
Old 28th October 2009, 12:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiman View Post
^^ I second that. Payed ~ 26K as taxes for my 6 yr old car last year!

Couldn't hold myself back. It should be PAID.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

OT but worth to mention here. Our state Bihar and Jharkhand are more than generous when come to Road Tax. They even register vehicle from other state without changing number and paying some amount as tax. No checking of vehicles hence no harrasment.

Tax rate is as low as 3 - 6 % for 15 years and there is no change for years.

So which state is best? I suggest you to register you vehicle in Jharkhand and drive in WB.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hay wasn't it in Bihar (I do not think jharkhand was created then) that lalu's people lifted brand new cars from showrooms and workshops to be used in motorcades for lalu's daughter's marriage??
IMO you do not need to register your vehicle at all if you drive in Bihar and Jharkhand !!
Old 28th October 2009, 13:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

But hasn't the road tax rule now changed for new cars in West Bengal? I think it used to be a 5 year tax but now is a 'true' lifetime tax at least for new vehicles. I will check on this and revert by the evening!
Old 28th October 2009, 14:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think the WB Govt. is slowly enticing the middle & upper class population to join the Maoist cause!!!!The problem is that the heads that make these decisions are at least 30 years behind todays social and economic scenario.
Old 28th October 2009, 17:46   #23
BHPian

I think the government needs to rethink this whole idea of states. I am sad to see that even for moving within the same country u have to pay again for road tax?????

So Gujarat cannot legally drink, Maharashtra cannot have gutka, Mumbai will have Octroi, Goa can get really cheap petrol, Karnataka and TN will fight for water every few years....the list goes on and on....

This is just not done. The country should have one rule and one rule only for each and every thing...if I buy a car in India, why shoudl I pay road tax more than once????
Old 28th October 2009, 18:38   #24
BHPian

I paid road tax three times in the space of ten years!

Lads,

1. I paid one time road tax to the Delhi Govt., when I bought my car in 1998.
2. When I shifted the car to Lucknow (UP) I paid road tax there too.
3. When I shifted the car to Bombay I paid a total of Rs 33k for another one time road tax, in 2006

When I decided to gift the car in 2009, to my former driver in Lucknow, the poor guy had to pay ( he preferred the simpler route of greasing palms) some amount as another round of ransom, to get the car registered again in UP.

My point is, it is one car, one country and I can drive anywhere in India, on Indian roads. Why should a car, any car ( in this case it is a beautiful cherry red Uno Petrol with a terrific acceleration) be subject to over 1 lac rupees as road tax, over a period of eleven years?

It is a state subject and not a central subject, as per the constitution. So states will rob law abiding folks so that dodgy politicos can palm off the cream and leave something for their hangers on.

It is extortion, in my language.

I have no expectation from our politicos.

Regards
Old 28th October 2009, 18:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
  • The road tax does not depend on the actual cost of the car! It is fixed based on the cubic capacity of the engine. And, the road tax amount is irrespective of the age of the vehicle (that's right, -- no depreciation with age)!
  • You'll pay a lot (some 60%) higher if your car has AC!
i have also heard the same thing. The rate of tax varies with the cubic capacity of the engine + AC tax + Audio Tax.

Also see this:

Quote:
Hi All,

Today, I paid the Road Tax for my Bull, Total Tax was 25320, break up was about 15k odd for Road Tax and 10k odd for Tax because the Car has A/C, don't see my a car has to pay seperate Tax just becasue the Car has A/C. Now that I have paid up the Tax, will retain my Bull for the next 5 yrs.
Aman paid 5 years tax for his 1.8 ISZ Amby (Source)

Last edited by planet_rocker : 28th October 2009 at 18:53.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

This is utter non-sense. The rules make it really hard for people to obey laws.

Because of this confusion of various taxes, I have not changed the Reg of my 9 Year Old car which still sports a DL number but has stayed in DL-TN-DL-AP.
Old 28th October 2009, 23:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
i have also heard the same thing. The rate of tax varies with the cubic capacity of the engine + AC tax + Audio Tax.
Yes. And how would we react if we had to pay double-the-amount in
registration-fee /stamp-duty on our house only because we had fitted AC in
our rooms, and had audio systems? Are the WB rules for cars any different?!!
Old 29th October 2009, 09:05   #28
BANNED

UP has just hiked up the tax from 2.5% for personal registration for petrol cars to 5%(under 1000kg) and 6% (under 5000kg). Also, the tax is now truly lifetime - no 15 years, with fresh tax every five years. This is apparently in line with MP and Rajasthan.

Are we moving (off teh record obviously) towards uniform taxation rates?
Old 29th October 2009, 09:41   #29
BHPian

UP Govt. has even hiked the tax for two wheelers to 5% from an earlier fixed rate of 1600/-.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Previously Tax rates in Delhi/ HR/UP used to quite less compared to AP/KA/TN which always had in the region of 9-10%

A life time tax of 5-6% is understandable as the Govt also needs tax to pay for infrastructure and other development.

But having AC Tax and others is simply ridiculous and may be one of the many reasons of keeping WB amongst the least enterprise friendly states.

Disclaimer: I'm a Bong

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks