Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2011, 15:03   #46
BHPian

Re: How the WB Govt. loots vehicle owners

Bottom line is, if you are moving from one state to another, better sell your existing car and buy a similar car (of the same vintage) in the destination.
Old 12th January 2011, 15:55   #47
BANNED

The NDA govt wanted to set up a credit system for the tax paid in state A when you moved to State B. Now with the networking of all state RTOs this mess can be simplified, or maybe they need a Raja (measure of money) as a payoff!
Old 12th January 2011, 17:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
I found a news article on TOI pointing to this link. It appears that now you can pay road tax online.

https://vahan.wb.nic.in/wb/

For 900-1400 cc vehicle, one needs to pay 13900+7500 (special tax, for AC) = 21400

After 5 years, you need to pay 9900 + 7500 (if you still keep your AC) = 17400 valid for 5 years.

Compared to other states, arent the rates high and rules absurd?
Dont know what kind of an emotion : or ,the absurdity of the above deserves. Probably both, together.

'if you still keep your AC' - means ? You have a choice of removing the AC unit from the car and paying lesser rates ? Will the pandu open the bonnet and see if there is a condensor somewhere there ?
Old 12th January 2011, 17:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
I found a news article on TOI pointing to this link. It appears that now you can pay road tax online.

https://vahan.wb.nic.in/wb/

For 900-1400 cc vehicle, one needs to pay 13900+7500 (special tax, for AC) = 21400

After 5 years, you need to pay 9900 + 7500 (if you still keep your AC) = 17400 valid for 5 years.

Compared to other states, arent the rates high and rules absurd?
Rules are absurd but rates are not high compared to Bangalore at least. I paid 64K for my 2009 Ritz ZXi as lifetime road-tax.
Old 12th January 2011, 18:31   #50
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
maybe they need a Raja (measure of money) as a payoff!
I dont like smilies, but this one came very close to posting one on LOL. I am not sure if everyone knows the new measures of money. Maybe you can put it up. Really enjoyed your post.

Like many here in TBHP, I have also faced a similar situation of road tax repayment on moving from one state to another state. The most convenient way, in my opinion, is to sell off the existing car and buy another one in the new city. But then again, one will be without car at the most critical time when one is hunting and setting up a new home with its associated shopping and purchases. Finally to buy a car in a new city is also challenging since one needs a vehicle to go to showrooms which are typically situated at extreme ends. What to do, govt is looting the tax paying class like us.
Old 12th January 2011, 20:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Rules are absurd but rates are not high compared to Bangalore at least. I paid 64K for my 2009 Ritz ZXi as lifetime road-tax.
It's actually not true. You paid for 15 years. In Kolkata, we pay for 5 years only. So if considered for 15 years, the amount is to multiplied by 3 years.
For my 2009 Fiesta, I paid 32 K as road tax (for 5 yrs). If I keep it 15 yrs, I will be paying 32K * 3 = 1 lakh almost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks