Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2005, 20:32   #1
BHPian

The FIAT Conundrum.. And help on car purchase..!!

Hi ....

Am one of those wannabe car owners who chanced upon this website while looking for reviews on current cars in the Indian market... Gotta say that the forum is a grt resource on Indian cars... Keep it up guys..!!

Just noticed one thing though... If one goes through the posts in this forum, it seems as if everyone is gonna buy a PETRA or a PALIO. But one glance on the road and you see the reality.

Even in Mumbai (where I reckon Fiat sells more than 60% of it's Indian production), I have never seen a PETRA on the road. The odd Siena's and Palios' which one sees are in bad shape, with discolored body color, dended bodies and alike. Why's this guys????

Still, based on the reviews on this forum, I decided to venture into a Fiat showroom for a test drive. Went to Shaman's at Pradhadevi. The place had already shut at 5:50 pm in the evening. The guard told that they seldomn sell a car nowadays, so the place shuts it's shutters early. And that they do not have Palio 1.6 or the new Palio 1.6 adventure ready for test drives.

Compared to this, the Shaman dealership of Ford keeps open even uptill 7 pm in the evening.

So still have to experience the Palio 1.6 ... Anyways.. based on the reviews of this forum and my personal preferences, I have come up with the following list of potential cars which I would like to buy :

Palio 1.6
Palio 1.6 adventure
Hyundai Getz
Hyundai Accent Viva CRDi
Maruti Swift

Now it's quite a diverse selection of cars... Personally, I would like a car which offers me power, driving comfort and handling, and decent fuel economy ( a tough combo for any car maker.. ) .... But more importantly, I would like a car which I enjoy being in, and is a good investment with durability at least for the next 5 years.

Started with a initial budget of 5 L, but as with other purchases I have made in my life, I am sure I will end up exceeding my budget again...!!

Any inputs on my choice of cars.. And a vote on which one should I finally go for??

Cheers...

IP
Old 4th August 2005, 20:47   #2
BHPian

why have you left out Ford Ikon? Is exclusivity also your criteria?
Old 4th August 2005, 21:09   #3
SMG
BHPian

Typo

Beware, FIAT is a holy cow here. Don't know how many here actually own FIAT products but everybody talks about FIAT.

You said your next car should last for 5 years (durability), I assume that you want to keep this car for 5 years. You didn't mention your monthly running (deciding factor for Petrol/Diesel fuel option), so I assume around 1000 Km per month.

As you visited car dealerships in Mumbai, I assume you're in Mumbai.

Out of the car models you listed, Accent CRDI is a Diesel car and well above your budget. For FIAT , soon you will be flooded by FIAT recommendatios so just wait for it.

Considering you profile, budget I would recommend Maruti Swift. It is within your budget, has got all new fresh looks, build quality, options (Air bags, ABS etc) and at the same time will give you the expected fuel economy. You will get a peace of mind by means of Maruti's class leading Customer service , reasonably priced spares.

Like any Maruti car , Swift will sure , last for 5 years and will fetch a good resale value.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and post about your decision once you conclude.

Last edited by SMG : 4th August 2005 at 21:13.
Old 4th August 2005, 21:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

i suggest u visit Anuroop Auto for fiat cars,Shaman Auto is the worst dealer for fiat cars.
Old 4th August 2005, 21:14   #5
BHPian

Perhaps if you can extend your budget by just a little bit the Maruti Baleno would be a pragmatic choice.
Old 4th August 2005, 21:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

go for the Baleno...for more discussion on Baleno...just do a search on it...it is the HIGHEST PURCAHSED (As opposed to advised ) ) car on this forum...
see this...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6816

I own a Baleno....and you will probably find that it offers all that you want...before you venture out to Purchase another car..also look at this ..in case you are interested in knowing total cost of ownership...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6858
Old 4th August 2005, 21:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand
Hi ....

But more importantly, I would like a car which I enjoy being in, and is a good investment with durability at least for the next 5 years.

Cheers...

IP
man, you're a dead ringer for a fiat 1.6 gtx.

there is no other car that you would 'enjoy' being in, simply because it rarely seen, has snob value and fulfills all criterion (except the FE part)

as a palio 1.9 d owner - let me tell you - there will be no regrets. fiat is changing (at least that's the hope of all fiat owners here) or the better - worlwide and as well as in india - fiat - like all other euro cars - are built differently from any other, esp the jap and the koreans...

and takes a different type of person to appreciate a fiat - despite all the negative aspects of ASS etc...

go for a fiat - it's the best car in it's segment by far - at least as far as handling, power and driving dynamics are concerned - and that's the enjoyable part of any car...

cheers - keep us up to date of the final decision. and please don't believe any security guard at shaman - take a look see for yourself
Old 5th August 2005, 00:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand
Just noticed one thing though... If one goes through the posts in this forum, it seems as if everyone is gonna buy a PETRA or a PALIO. But one glance on the road and you see the reality.
Not everyone. There are quite a few that dont buy the hype, but yeah the Fiat boys are the most vocal around here.

Regarding your question - at this point in time, you should buy the Fiats only if you're a gambler or like living dangerously. Or if you'd like to be part of a company's nth attempt to ressurect itself. You know the reasons - you've seen it, heard it and you've mentioned it in your post - its your money so you make your choice. If you want more reasons for and against, there are a few hundred Fiat threads on this site.

I'd personally recommend going for the any of the three other cars, as each of them have their strengths and are more likely to give you 5 peaceful years. As for fun, I'm a person who believes that its possible to have fun on any set of wheels - its all down to the driver ultimately.
Old 5th August 2005, 03:20   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the GTX.
The car is just awesome.
It fills all your requirements.
And for the Baleno boys,
remember the thread about Petra vs Baleno?
We FIAT owners are vocal because FIAT is not getting the praise it deserves and it is just the Fiat name ruining the car but with all evidence, it seems as though they are going to bounce back very soon.
Old 5th August 2005, 09:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Get the GTX.
The car is just awesome.
It fills all your requirements.
And for the Baleno boys,
remember the thread about Petra vs Baleno?
We FIAT owners are vocal because FIAT is not getting the praise it deserves and it is just the Fiat name ruining the car but with all evidence, it seems as though they are going to bounce back very soon.
fiat owners have to be Vocal as the Practice one gets in the Service Centres comes in handy...

Old 5th August 2005, 09:23   #11
Team-BHP Support

I went through the same dilemma few months back. I didn't know Petra existed until I read about it in this forum, in fact got sold on Petra. I wasn't even considering baleno or any Maruti when I started.

Check out this thread and see how my reseach for my car started and ended. In fact this one happens to be my very first post/thread in Team-BHP.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...3&page=6&pp=15

You'll also notice how much I was against Baleno, but now I own a Baleno...

Last edited by Samurai : 5th August 2005 at 09:27.
Old 5th August 2005, 09:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure I will end up exceeding my budget again...!!
in that case you should go for the Accent CRDi .. 5 years of peaceful running ...
as steeroid said - you can have fun in any car ..
Old 5th August 2005, 09:44   #13
BHPian

I would say

1)Hyundai Accent Viva CRDi
2)Maruti Swift
3)palio 1.9

I had taken Viva CRDi for a test drive few days back...
its a good car...
its on the Top of my list
and regarding the Swift its a New car/New Shape...
Old 5th August 2005, 10:01   #14
BHPian

I think you prefer the Palio 1.6 as your first choice, just for the sheer riding pleasure. One such car which can match the performance of Palio 1.6 is Baleno. Price wise also not much difference. I strongly feel that you should have a test ride in this machine too. After that mostly your preference will get changed... The only disappointment in this car is its looks, which Maruti will soon going to correct. As this is the only car from Maruti stable which don't have an "ALL NEW" tag... so have a test ride in the current Baleno and can wait for another month or so, by the time the ALL NEW Baleno will be out from Maruti... I am also waiting for the ALL NEW Baleno....
Old 5th August 2005, 10:28   #15
BHPian

is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
fiat owners have to be Vocal as the Practice one gets in the Service Centres comes in handy...

Fiats just do need to go to service stations at all.
okie, that is going overboard.
still GTX is ine heck of a vehicle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks