Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 20:04   #16
BHPian

What a co-incidence, just yesterday I was speaking to one of the Yeshwanthpur RTO Agents regarding this for one of my uncle who is about to relocate to Chennai & wanted to enquire about such a thing. The agent said it could be done, but is a long procedure. The steps involved are;

1. Take an NOC from the B'lore RTO.
2. Get it re-registered to where you are relocating i e. Pay fresh taxes there, take a new number, change of address in the RC Book.
3. Take a Xerox copy of all the documents with fresh endorsements
4. Apply for a refund in the B'lore RTO, it will take about 1.5-2 months for the refund.

An example he gave me was calculated roughly on the Honda City which my uncle is taking to Chennai, LTT paid was Rs. 81,000/=. He said we could get about Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 55,000/= as refund.

CHEERS,
G D
Old 27th November 2009, 16:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Visited the RTO today. They want a CRTI - basically a letter from the WB RTO saying that the vehicle has been transferred.

The ARTO officer said that they needed an "official communication" from the WB RTO that the vehicle has been registered there. Initially he was asking me to get it, but finally asked one of his subordinates to write a letter to the RTO and wait for a response.

They asked me to return after a month and find out the status. Guess it will take quite some time.

From what I gather, they need this letter to play it safe - just in case something goes wrong.
Old 27th November 2009, 19:24   #18
BHPian

So, apparently this CRTI doesn't have a form, or a preset format?
Today I enquired at the Siliguri RTO. Nobody knew about it! Then I got
the ARTO to agree to sign a letter (that I'd have to write) confirming
the migration of my vehicle to WB. I'd then have to mail the letter to
the BLR RTO on behalf of the WB RTO (just like I had to do with the
NOC confirmation request, which did have a prescribed form). This
sounds better in terms of quickness than having the RTOs
communicate on their own!

sdp1975, so I understand that you'll have to wait to file your formal
application till the BLR RTO receives the confirmation from WB, right?
We are in opposite situations, -- I'll have to do it from WB, while
you're doing it in BLR. I don't know if sending the confirmation
independently from sending the application (form 16, copies of RC
book etc.), and doing it remotely, will ultimately work out okay or not.

Do you know how to fill form 16? Thanks.

Last edited by meerkat : 27th November 2009 at 19:25.
Old 27th November 2009, 19:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

They already accepted my application with a file no. etc.

I just wrote on Form 16 that I got a NOC and then transferred my car - and I wrote a separate application letter that I want a refund since the form 16 is poorly organized.

I think you can bundle everything into a single application ( crti,form 16,xerox copies and all ) and send it by Regd Post a/d to them.

I think this CRTI is a Karnataka stuff - never heard of it in other states, possibly part of the KMV act.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 27th November 2009 at 19:36.
Old 27th November 2009, 20:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I think you can bundle everything into a single application ( crti,form 16,xerox copies and all ) and send it by Regd Post a/d to them.
This is where I have my doubts. See, the NOC I submitted was signed
by the BLR RTO, and given to me. Still the WB RTO had to send an
official NOC-confirmation request to the BLR RTO (actually I sent it,
pretending to be sending from the RTO, on their official form, signed
and stamped). So the RTOs are paranoid. That's why I am doubtful if I
could include the CRTI along with my application, or it has to be sent
"officially" from the WB RTO in a separate mail. These govt. rules are
so difficult! As if they are able to (or care to) stop all the forgery and fraud!

Last edited by meerkat : 27th November 2009 at 20:37.
Old 27th November 2009, 20:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

When I met the clerk he asked me if I have a CRTI letter with me - I think he would have accepted it. If you want to be on the safer side send it separately by Regd Post on behalf of the RTO.
Old 28th November 2009, 12:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
They already accepted my application with a file no. etc.
Did you receive an acknowledgement of your application, with file no. etc.?
I guess you need to mention this file no. in subsequent communication with them?
I'm not sure if they'll send any acknowledgement/file no. by post to me.

What are all the documents you submitted?

1. Application letter

2. Form 16 (filled in the best way you could)

3. RC form copy (Was it attested? Did you need to show the original?)

4. Tax token copy ?

-- Anything else ? Thanks for the info.
Old 28th November 2009, 15:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

No acknowledgement, I'll just go and enquire with them after a month since I'm here.

Yes , those were the 4 documents I submitted. I also submitted a xerox copy of the previous Karnataka RC.

RC was unattested xerox , I did not have the original.
Old 3rd April 2014, 16:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: KA LTT Refund Instructions Anyone?

Quote:
Visited the RTO today. They want a CRTI - basically a letter from the WB RTO saying that the vehicle has been transferred.

The ARTO officer said that they needed an "official communication" from the WB RTO that the vehicle has been registered there. Initially he was asking me to get it, but finally asked one of his subordinates to write a letter to the RTO and wait for a response.

They asked me to return after a month and find out the status. Guess it will take quite some time.

From what I gather, they need this letter to play it safe - just in case something goes wrong.
Five year old story of LTT refund coming to an end.

Hadn't been able to follow up with RTO KR Puram since 2009 on the status of the refund. Filed a RTI application about 2 months ago with KR Puram RTO and they told me ( also sent copies to my address ) that they'd sent a letter to WB-24 in 2009 and 2011 but didn't get any response from them. They also sent me a letter in 2010 but I never received it.

They were willing to refund based on the transfer information in VAHAN, but then their login/passwd wasn't working, so CRTI was the only option left.

So I asked them again to send to letter to WB-24, copy to me. Took the copy to WB-24 RTO during my recent Kolkata visit. Showed them the letter from KR Puram, and they wrote a reply stating that the vehicle has been migrated and registered in WB-24. Experience at WB-24 was top-notch, the gentleman at the counter was extremely helpful.

Visited KR Puram RTO after returning to Bangalore and deposited the letter. They said that they'll get back to me soon. The most interesting part will be the refund amount.The car was in KA for 5 years from 2004-9, so I should get back the refund for about 10 years since LTT of around 23K was collected for 15 years.

I'm quite sure that the refund won't be calculated on a proportionate basis - ie 10/15* 23K. The amount I'll get will be far lesser.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 3rd April 2014 at 16:25.
sdp1975 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from the RTO , refund cheque for Rs 13459/- is ready. However, the refund of 64% ( car was in KA for 5 yrs and a few months ) is being calculated only the tax and not the cess amount. Note that the total tax is ( tax + 10% cess on tax).

I had a look the Karnataka MV taxation act http://dpal.kar.nic.in/pdf_files%5CM...%20(Final).pdf , and the refund on cess is also allowed in subsection 3 of section 3A :

(3) The provisions of the Act and the rules made thereunder including those relating to refund or exemption from tax shall, so far as may be, apply in relation to the levy, assessment and collection of the cess payable under sub-section (1), as they apply in relation to the levy, assessment and collection of motor vehicles tax under this Act.

I stand to lose around 1400/- if the refund on cess is not allowed. Will be visiting the RTO sometime this week and show them the relevant sections of the act and ask them to issue a new cheque including the additional amount.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 23rd April 2014 at 14:15.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 15:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Finally got a refund of 13409/- credited to my bank account. Time to celebrate , I guess ?

The cheque provided by KR Puram RTO bounced initially - the cheque leaf was quite old and the MICR code was overwritten by hand. The cheque was presented by "hand" to the drawing branch ( SBM KR Puram where the RTO maintains an account ) and the cheque was cleared.

I made another application at the RTO to refund Rs 1345/- for the refund on the cess amount. That should take another month or so and they will issue another cheque for it. I took a printout of the KMV Taxation act and on showing it at the RTO, they did agree that I was eligible for refund on the cess amount as well.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 8th May 2014 at 15:18.
Old 29th May 2014, 13:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I made another application at the RTO to refund Rs 1345/- for the refund on the cess amount. That should take another month or so and they will issue another cheque for it.
Received the cheque for the balance 1345/- and encashed it as well. That really completes my full refund that I was entitled to !

Lessons learnt :

1) Don't give up on what you are rightfully entitled to. It does need patience and time, but you'll get your refund back. I got it back after 5 years.

2) There is a high possibility that the RTO will miscalculate the refund as in my case. Show them the relevant laws and rules, they will accept their mistake - they issued an additional cheque for Rs 1345/- in my case.

3) Get things done yourself - I never approached an agent, didn't pay any bribe.

4) Familiarize yourself with laws and rules - I almost completely digested the KMV Taxation Act and all it's amendments. Use tools like the RTI effectively.

5) State governments should really make vehicle transfer , refund etc between states an online process and remove several of the manual overheads that are a bottleneck. That probably will never happen - when it comes to giving back money states don't really bother.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 29th May 2014 at 13:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks