Team-BHP - Rs 1-lakh Tata car by 2008
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Rs 1-lakh Tata car by 2008 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/7017-rs-1-lakh-tata-car-2008-a.html)

http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/aug/09car.htm

The ambitious Rs 1-lakh car by Tata Motors may be launched between 2007 and 2008 even as factors like inflation and cost of steel may make it difficult to maintain the price line.

"Tata Motors would go into tooling for the car, which would be launched in 2007-08," Ratan Tata, chairman of Tata Sons, said on Tuesday.

Asked whether the company would be able to keep to the price announced, Tata said "Hopefully, the car would be launched at the same price."

He, however, said it would be difficult to hold the price due to various factors like inflation at that time, value of the rupee and cost of steel.

It will be interesting to see how it fairs in market. With Indian economy booming in last decade, people are slowly migrating from entry level cars like 800 to better hatches like Santro/Indica/Wagon-R to premium hatches like Palio/Getz/Swift/Sail. Though it sounds foolish to say, I am not sure how much will it sell in the market with 1 lakh tag but mostly stripped off version of a car. May be Tata wants eradicate all 2 wheelers from India.

BTW, Bajaj Auto has also declared intention of coming up with a competing 4 wheeler, again with 1 lakh price tag. Interesting times ahead!

Traffic!!! The resulting traffic will be Crazy.

BTW, what is the reason to come out with such a Unique car?

Cheers

they better stick to what they are doing now.what will a 1lac rupee car have.
something like:

25bhp engine(gasoline/oil) + 3 speed gearbox
2 door body with fibre doors,hood and trunk.
fan blower + speedo + fuel guage + 2 front seats and rear bench.
seating for 4 with access to rear seats from the front doors.

people will buy a second hand M800 or Zen for that money.it will be much more comfortable+much more reliable+much more respectable and lastly much more enjoyable.no one will buy such crap.in india people want more for less and not less for less.

Time to get a Hummer and swat em like flies. I find indicar's irritating, imagine these coming in

i doubt if they've be able to afford to make a car at 1 lakh. if they eventually do it - god save bangalore.

Not considering performace, engine capacity, horses and etc etc

1. What safety that TATA is going to provide with such car ? :confused:
=> So should not undergo for any crash test or should not satisfy any norm for cars ;)

2. What will happen when such car will travel on highways and express-highways where skodas, mercs, accrods etc runs and soon bmw,audi can be seen frequently.
=> So better to ban them on Express-highways like bikes :p otherwise Expresshighways will soon become city roads flodded with traffic

3. Hope it should not not be something like :

[Note - courtsy : www.dancewithshadows.com]

:) 4. But I can see such car can be a better choice for Dudhwala bhaiya who can afford around 60-70K bullet and can easily serve them as a family cum business car with more space (at least than Bullet as it is a car) . And specially also for those who regualry plays GOLF, To roam around big golf grounds on 'made in india' car instead of imported cars if I am not wrong. This way Tata can aim middleclass as well as high class people. clap:

enjoy,
Hemant

Guys, it's easy for you and me to say it's irritating, who will buy etc. The fact is, we can afford 5+ lakh cars easily. Some people can't. And Tata is aiming for the semi-urban areas with this, rather than the urban. Also, there was talk (wisely) of licencing out the kit/idea to smaller companies, to keep distribution costs down.

Its going to remain dream guys..

Even a auto rickshaw costs some 90k.. May be they are planning to add the fourth wheel for the extra 10k. :))

Even now the 800s with 2L cost, they boast poor plastics and safety features.. I dont know what might be there in such a car. Moreover I dont think there is a customer base for such a car. They better bring some CRDi to Indica(go) else will be washed out when Hyundai and Maruti comes with theirs ( Wagon R+ ) the diesel car market is going to slip out of their hands.

I luv this forum.

I dont have high hopes for this....as shan_jp says its more likely to be a 4 wheeled rickshaw..
also agree with Hemant about the safety that this vehicle will provide?

i am pretty optimistic about the 1 lakh car ..Tata might just pull it off ..am pretty sure it wont end up like the Montana (ring a bell?) with fibre glass and 2 doors ...

Quote:

people are slowly migrating from entry level cars like 800 to better hatches like Santro/Indica/Wagon-R to premium hatches like Palio/Getz/Swift/Sail.
they are moving up but an alto now costs the same as 800 did 2 years back ...800 has gone cheaper still 1,99lakhs..anyone upgrading from a 2 wheeler will go for the 800,bringing in a car valued at 1 lakh will get Tata's a huge market share ..since majority of the population in india is middle class...

http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/aug/31tata1.htm

The one lakh car would be gearless, CVT anyone... :p

wicked !!
1 lakh in 3 years from now will be nothing..
without their own EMS and CVT i wonder how they will keep s profit margin at the Rs.100,000!

i doubt the tatas with a one lakh car. similar low budget statements were made pre launch to the indica, and even if it is launched 1 lakh u can imagine the safety features considering how save 800 or reva is today with a 2 lakh tag

Already not able to drive the car in the road because of 2 & 3 wheelers.