Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 01:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Common, magazines create hype. We all know that. Someone from the manufacturer giving an interview also should be taken with loads of salt!

2. Blunder for Skoda? Think again. I've been reading that, Skoda is much more premium than VW for some Indians. Beat that

P.S: The yearly "New cars for the next year edition from ACI" is the most hyped up/incorrect one. Not their fault enitrely. But ones like Hyundai Sante Fe or Toyota Prius are highly doubtful!
Old 26th November 2009, 07:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

If you think about it, its not the cars that are a joke, its the after sales service. And about pricing the Octy at around 6L, yeah right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
What was the launch price of the Octavia in India ?
The range started at a little over 11L and the top of the line was around ~13.5L (im talking about diesel models)
Old 26th November 2009, 07:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

It launched at 10.5...same price for petrol and diesel. They took out ABS from diesel to equivalise the price.

It was considered good vfm at the time for what it offered considering that a Opel Astra diesel fully loaded was going for 11.5 L....and believe me that car was a piece of junk.
Old 26th November 2009, 09:20   #19
BHPian

Irrespective of what that magazine says, I think it has preserved and delivered its 'value'.

Different variants have come and gone, however the model is still selling decently, after like a good 9/10 years, without any radical change to the overall build / design - not many cars across segments can manage do that.

And for what it offered at that point of time (the economical Diesel Luxury, if we can call it) at that price point - it was indeed VFM.

Carwale still quotes a value of close to 2.8 L for a Jan 2001 Diesel Octavia, done about 100000 Kms, in Mumbai.
Old 26th November 2009, 09:47   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Irrespective of what that magazine says, I think it has preserved and delivered its 'value'.

Different variants have come and gone, however the model is still selling decently, after like a good 9/10 years, without any radical change to the overall build / design - not many cars across segments can manage do that.
Agree , How many cars other than octy have that much shelf value in terms of product life cycle , nearest to my mind is Esteem from erstwhile maruti , rest have died faster.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:02   #21
BHPian

Are we not a little unfair on Skoda?

What Osamu Suzuki has said in the last twenty years is enough to run another forum.

The point is that none is perfect. Everybody learn and move forward.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:15   #22
BHPian

Why should we call it a blunder? I am sure they did their homework but there are just too many factors between the cup and the lip that can go wrong.

Maybe 6 lakhs was in "crowns" or "EMU", maybe they did not know our byzantine laws - whatever. It was said in 1997 and they launched in 2001.

What can one then say about one industry doyen who said "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers"
Old 26th November 2009, 10:24   #23
BHPian

Ya, wisely said @ trapezio, if at all Skoda would have launched Octy at @6 lac, it would'nt have been the same Octy for what we swear by for solid build, luxurious, Diesel economy plus Power.

One thing is sure, if one skoda is good, it is good for whole its life, and you will swear by it and if something is wrong in one model it will remain and trouble you for whole of its life. skoda cant solve its problems

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th November 2009 at 10:52. Reason: Please avoid sms language. Thanks
Old 26th November 2009, 17:18   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, lets cut 'em some slack. If we have to go by what was stated in the 90's, Maruti had super-strong lobbying against diesel engines (how things change), Peugeot was to become a top 5 car maker in India, Mercedes would sell E Class' at 22 lakhs only, Toyota's 3 lakh rupee small car would already be here, BMW would have started with the E39 5 series etc. etc. etc.

This thread = closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks