Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 19:49   #1
BHPian

Chennai on Road parking - Rumor or Correct Information

HI,

Today morning while i was travelling to office & listening to RADIO , 94.3 .

The RJ mentioned going forward in CHENNAI we should not park the vehicles on the road outside the house .

Is it true or is it just a proposed thought or Is it some rumor ?

A lot of us will need to buy a parking space then . Can someone connected to government check and let us know if the info is correct.

MODS - Please place it in the correct forum if this thread does not belong here.

Last edited by propeller : 4th December 2009 at 19:50. Reason: Do not know if its in correct forum
Old 4th December 2009, 21:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is your topic related to this? They sound very similar although that's talking about parking space for the second car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ace-first.html
Old 4th December 2009, 22:06   #3
BHPian

It is too late for the government to come out with such rules now. Now half the car population is parked on the road only. I do see many new houses/apartments being constructed without any car park or a limited car park only.

As posted by Mclaren, they can imply the rules for buying a new car. I do not know how they will handle the used car segments though, maybe something could be done from RTO side.

All sums up to, certain people are going to become rich if this comes as a rule.

Last edited by ikoneer : 4th December 2009 at 22:08.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:10   #4
BHPian

Re: Chennai on Road parking - Rumor or Correct Information

True, at times even i feel we should not allow the parking to be done at the road side. The issue is , We hardly have a 30ft or a 40ft road and cars parked on two sides eat away 8 to 10 feet. There is hardly any space for vehicles to pass through.

One of the common situation i see is daily morning at 8-9 AM. The corporation lorry comes to pick up the garbage and he blocks the entire road. Vechicles parked in the road makes it even more difficult for him to sideline leading to such a mess.

I do accept i park my car on the road today. Reason is not that i do not have a parking space inside the house or the laziness to park. It is actually out of frustration. I park the car inside my house and find that some one else parks their car in front of my gate and at times 2 3 cars parked one behind the other. Its very difficult to identify the owner of each car and beg them to move their vehicle away to take my car out. Hence, to avoid this irritating thing i have started blocking the road space in front of my gate by parking my car right at the front.

Other thing i wanted to share is, People when they construct their house do not want to give space to park and want to construct without any set backs. Then they go on about no parking space. This is happening in front of my house. The opp house owner constructed a flat with no set back in the front and no parking space virtually. Now, they have bought 2 cars(ANHC and a Wagon R) and both their cars are parked in the road.

Their attitude is so what if i dont have space inside the compound i have the entire street to park.

Unless attitudes change we would never see good times.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Their attitude is so what if i dont have space inside the compound i have the entire street to park.
We have some vehicles parking opposite our gate often. Last time we asked one of them not to block the gate because we need to take the car out- and he asks back- where do i park then? As if its my responsibility to find parking for him!

People think roadsides are private property for parking! I think I need to block the space outside as well to prevent others from blocking us in!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 12:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

There is an existing law that prohibits parking on roads in front of your house. If I am not wrong the house plans are supposed to be such that there is an open space left between the main block and your wall that is supposed to be used for parking. But most of us ignore and cover as much space as we can and thus forced to park the cars outside due to unavailability of space.
Old 28th November 2011, 12:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad
There is an existing law that prohibits parking on roads in front of your house. If I am not wrong the house plans are supposed to be such that there is an open space left between the main block and your wall that is supposed to be used for parking. But most of us ignore and cover as much space as we can and thus forced to park the cars outside due to unavailability of space.
Exactly the point I was also sharing. I think
Once the cops start fining people they
Will eventually end up doing something
Old 28th November 2011, 15:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
We have some vehicles parking opposite our gate often. Last time we asked one of them not to block the gate because we need to take the car out- and he asks back- where do i park then? As if its my responsibility to find parking for him!

People think roadsides are private property for parking! I think I need to block the space outside as well to prevent others from blocking us in!
This was exactly what happened when I was in a individual house earlier. We went to the police once with this issue. the cops warned the man who parked in front of our house and from then he never parked in front of our gate
Old 28th November 2011, 17:07   #9
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A) Not Likely
B) The rules for Parking Spaces per X sq ft or X rooms of a house needs to be modified rather than introduction of such a rule.
Old 28th November 2011, 17:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

IIRC, there was some thread about a similar proposal in Bangalore too.

Something on the lines that cars cannot be parked on the pavements outside houses.

Needless to say, nothing has happened about it. Nothing can either - there's just too many cars and too little space.
Old 28th November 2011, 17:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

This rule will never come into force in this beloved chaotic country of ours. If it did, most of the private bus operators ferrying techies and the tour operators will make sure it is revoked.
Old 28th November 2011, 18:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamizha View Post
This was exactly what happened when I was in a individual house earlier. We went to the police once with this issue. the cops warned the man who parked in front of our house and from then he never parked in front of our gate
Long post warning !

A couple of months ago, I returned from office to find a Ford Ikon blocking the entrance to my house, I could see a couple inside the car.

I flashed my lights twice - No response
Honked a few times - no response
A passerby tapped on the window of the passenger to indicate that I was waiting behind to get inside the house - no response
I got down from the car, went to the driver side and tapped on the window, gesturing to move - no response
A few of us - a fruit seller from the pavement near my house, a tire repair wala and a few motorists as well since they were stuck behind me had to bang on the window to make the driver come out.

He had the nerve to tell us that we had no business disturbing him during his "private time" when he was parked on the road which did not belong to us and tried to flash his political credentials.

To add to this, he tried to ram his car against the fruit sellers cart and barely escaped being thrashed.

It turned out he was a middle aged doctor attached to the "youth" wing of the party with the hand symbol , he was fully drunk and the young girl was from a nearby working womens hostel.

Last edited by indivic : 28th November 2011 at 18:10.
Old 28th November 2011, 18:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am sure this rule will not come into effect. Even if this rule comes into effect (If at all) There is no way goverment can enforce this. Police is unable to prevent people driving on the wrong side / jumping signals, how are they going to enforce this.

Even if this rule is passed you can get away with some bribe.

there is a certain hotel near Hindi Prachar sabha, Thiagaraya Nagar, Chennai, where if you self park your car, it would be towed away / clamped, but if you vallet park the car, the same would not be towed away. The secret - the hotel's vallet symbol displayed on the windscreen. Why this vallet board acts a "pass" to park in a no parking zone is anyone's guess now.

- When i take my familiy out for lunch / dinner, nowadays, i first ask the hotel whether they have parking or not, before asking what price is thier buffet and when they open. If they say they have parking, I ask them, whether it is a stilt/basement parking, street parking, park-in-front of hotel parking or "tie-up"/"understanding" with the concerned.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 28th November 2011 at 18:56.
Old 28th November 2011, 19:56   #14
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Very sad but happens always
Most of the days our street is blocked by someone or other and then it's our job to go find them and ask them to move their vehicle and sometimes it can take forever. Adding to this, some of the drivers who park on the street are rude, agressive and ready to fight and even confront and say "Do what you want, I'm not moving my vehicle" and then we need to start begging them. This whole process annoys me so much, since I end up thinking why do I need some stranger's pernission to reach to my house ? It's my fundamental right (isn't it ?) to be able to reach my home or go out when I want !
Old 28th November 2011, 22:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Guys, parking anywhere on the road(doesnt matter whether it is just outside your home, on the highway, rarely frequented road or any road) is illegal - unless it is a designated parking space. Whether the authorities take action or not is another issue

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks