Team-BHP - Catching speed violators from INSIDE the Delhi Traffic Police Interceptor
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Catching speed violators from INSIDE the Delhi Traffic Police Interceptor (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/71456-catching-speed-violators-inside-delhi-traffic-police-interceptor-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadanaJ (Post 2150679)
Instead of wasting time on this, they should catch reckless drivers who needlessly cut lanes, jump signals, go on the wrong way of a one-way.
IMO the worst are people who drive slowly in the right lane, forcing others to overtake them from the left.
Besides the speed limits are completely unrealistic, 50-55 kmhr, come on. :Frustrati

Totally agree on this one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARDEEP (Post 2151543)
Pat came his reply - "I got a wire tied from the body of the car that touched the road at all times... this causes the earthing (or sort of), & the speed guns read the speed as ZERO."
.. will try this on my car, to see if it actually works stupid:, though I generally drive under 90 kmph & get 17-19 kmpl on highways.

Sounds too good to be true! Do try it and post your experiences!

I have been caught thrice. The first time was a valid one. It was a Sunday morning and the ORR stretch near Manyata tech park was deserted - I didn't even realise when the car reached 100 - just enjoying the Palio 1.6's sweet roar. This was the first time and the cop gave me a nice colour printout that said 99.8 kmph! Fine: Rs.300 with a warning that if I had been clocked over 100 the fine is double and I could get booked under dangerous driving instead of just speeding!
the second time on BIAL road, was caught as i was on 83 when the limit is 80! (this was coming down a slope!). Didn't feel like arguing and just moved on with the fine.
The third one was the interesting experience: I was the first car at the cambridge layout signal on old airport road and road being empty the fiesta easily reached 60 after the signal turned green. I got flagged down and the cop tells me I'm speeding as the limit is 50 for the road. I argued that I did not see a sign and in fluent English he told me that there is a small sign at the beginning of the road. He was very polite and insistent and I kept arguing with him. At this point the constable manning the camera asks me if I speak hindi. I said yes and he explains that there are 6 interceptors in BLR city and they move from one police station to another and each station is given a 'target'. His logic: "Saar, we are from ulsoor station and this is the only road in our jurisdiction that has potential to catch people and that too we can stand only in afternoon when traffic is light. So please just pay and help us":Shockked: I did exactly that and moved on!:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by auto-one (Post 2151658)
Why do we take pride in trying to beat the law? Yes, the speed limit regulations may be ancient, but rules are rules. Please follow them.
And if you feel the speed limits are ridiculous, please get them changed officially.
I think this is a good initiative undertaken by the cops. Yes, it may have some hidden agenda ( garnering revenues ) , but we should bear in mind that the main objective is of catching the over speeding vehicles, and hence should welcome the initiative.
P.S. No offence to any one, but I believe in discipline, on and off the road.

Undoubtedly, discipline is important..
But the attitude with which such drives are undertaken take the sting out of these. Typically, you find cops proactive in catching defaulters on various traffic rules during the fag end of the month.

Also, the frequency with which there are checks on speeding, jumping signals is so haphazard, it does not completely bring about a change.

Quote:

sugam: The Chandigarh Delhi national highway passes through Haryana for most of its length. The speed limit for the 6 lane highway is 90 Km/H.
The Haryana police stations its interceptor (a silver Versa) frequently on the NH to nab offenders. Many of my friends have been caught. Some have been nabbed thrice or more!
I have been safe though, because I prefer to drive around 70 to 80 Km/H.
That's the secret of getting a >20 Km/L on the highway from my Xeta :D
I was caught once by the speed interceptor, on NH-1 on my way from panipat to new delhi. The interceptor was about placed about a kilometer before the murthal flyover. The interceptor was preceded by police barriers on the first and third lane, the middle lane remained open for those who stayed below permissible speed limits, whilst for me who was doing way above 90 km/hr, the policemen forced me to stop and therefore i complied and pulled over. I came out, immediately asked them to refrain from making a speed ticket and asked them how much they wanted. Gave them half of what they asked, got back into the car and was on my way back. But, from the next time, usually i would stay below 100 kmph, when ever i was approaching murthal flyover.

In a city like New delhi, one stays below 60 kmph --except on outer delhi roads--and driving in middle lane as much as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARDEEP (Post 2151543)
I thought we were lucky, until I queried the driver (family friend) about the same. Pat came his reply - "I got a wire tied from the body of the car that touched the road at all times... this causes the earthing (or sort of), & the speed guns read the speed as ZERO."

I don't think the speed guns depend on the car's electricals - the answer you got sounds complete nonsense to me.

Often the speedometers overestimate the actual speed by a little margin - you can test this using a GPS for example - that could be one possible reason why even if your speedometer shows 100kmph, and the allowed limit is 90, no one catches you. Because the actual speed you are travelling at is around 90.

Its ok to have speed limits and enforce the same.
1. But the speed limits should be displayed very clearly.
2. Assuming our speedos are accurate, i would want that they allow upto 5 KMPH over the speed limit. As, if you are coming down a slope, you may increase speed even if you had been maintaining the right speed.
3. I had stopped to talk to the cops on BIAL road once, and was told that you are booked even if you are found driving at 81 KMPH, i.e One KMPH over the speed limit.
4. The rules on the three lane road is that left most is 40KMPH, middle lane is 60KMPH and right lane is 80KMPH.
5. You cannot be driving at 80 in the middle lane, you will be fined for that also.

In the end, there are very few roads where onee can speed up. So please arrange for us to be able to drive at the design speed throughout the city and that we do not have to crawl on other busy roads. (I guess thats asking for too much.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2151613)
I wonder how that works! Speed Guns use SONAR technology right, how does grounding or the lack of it affect the reading?!

I have however heard of a device which when fitted in the car shows alerts when you approach an Interceptor : intercepting the interceptor!

First saw it in NFS3!

Sonar! We are not in a nuclear submarine!
The 2 main technologies used are infrared and laser, and both work on the principle of doppler effect.
Radar gun

Radar detectors are available freely but are illegal in some US states. Also the police sometimes has a 'radar detector' detector to further prosecute you if its illegal in that state.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 2152001)
Sonar! We are not in a nuclear submarine!
The 2 main technologies used are infrared and laser, and both work on the principle of doppler effect.
Radar gun

Radar detectors are available freely but are illegal in some US states. Also the police sometimes has a 'radar detector' detector to further prosecute you if its illegal in that state.

Thank you for the Wiki-link

I think in "How it Works" section, the answer to my stupid post is hidden. Probably the wire hanging from the bottom causes the circuit to break & transmits the radio signal to earth, resulting in "ZERO" reading.

I am not a scientist but a person who deals with monetary numbers. So, can be pardoned for ignorance.

Moreover, I would not like to test the theory as I have a manual speed detector (s) in my car (on 95% of the occasions) when I drive to Haryana/ Punjab, i.e. my father or wife. Further, I drive in the range of 80-100 kmph except in case of hard overtaking (on rarest of rare occasions).

I had been caught only once near Palwal on NH-2 while coming back from Agra, was in my new Altis and was testing the max speed, Was caught at roughly 163 KMPH in a 90 kmph zone. Paid up 400 as the fine and post that drove at nominal 90.

One place where one will always find the Delhi Police Interceptor is at the base of Rajouri Garden flyover on the Ring Road in Delhi. They are present there on all mornings (except Sundays I guess). And every time I pass the interceptor the cops are busy challaning at least 3-4 cars. I can bet that they hand out tickets to at least 50 vehicles each day before noon. At least 10 cops with at least 3 vehicles are on duty there.

I usually do 40 on that slope (which is pretty tough to mantain) and have often been honked on no end by drivers behind me. I slowly move aside while they zip past with a killing stare directed at me. I am always like 'wait till you meet the fellows waiting for exactly your kind'. Not surprisingly when I reach the base of the flyover those guys are busy offloading their wallets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesc (Post 2152771)
I usually do 40 on that slope (which is pretty tough to mantain) and have often been honked on no end by drivers behind me. I slowly move aside while they zip past with a killing stare directed at me. I am always like 'wait till you meet the fellows waiting for exactly your kind'. Not surprisingly when I reach the base of the flyover those guys are busy offloading their wallets.

This is the worst location for them to stand. I totally agree its very difficult to maintain 40 on that slope. The unfamiliar drivers honking you from behind is so funny. Even i get it many times on that stretch and each time I happily give in to there demands lol: 500 mts down the road they realise why I was holding back my right foot. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesc (Post 2152771)
One place where one will always find the Delhi Police Interceptor is at the base of Rajouri Garden flyover on the Ring Road in Delhi. They are present there on all mornings (except Sundays I guess). And every time I pass the interceptor the cops are busy challaning at least 3-4 cars. I can bet that they hand out tickets to at least 50 vehicles each day before noon. At least 10 cops with at least 3 vehicles are on duty there.

& the place has been a happy hunting ground for the cops for quite a long time now.

When I was in college, in 2001 these cops had just started positioning the interceptors there.

Just my luck that I escaped them one day..I was not carrying my license..had taken dad's car without his permission..on top of it had only 100 bucks total in my pocket. :)

Since then without fail I slow down to 50 km/hr while coming down that slope..

I have been caught once by the cops using the manually operated speed gun and once a vehicle I was in was caught by the interceptor.

The time I got caught myself, i spent some time with the cops and I noticed that those who do the speed checks are pretty good at identifying the speed of vehicles. One of the senior cops in that group was like.. check this car, it is doing like 70km/h, this car is doing 80, etc.. He was essentially stopping cars w/o even checking the speed gun readouts. After the car stopped, he would confirm with the gun operator over radio for exact speed readout. I was pretty impressed by how accurate this person was in estimating speeds at which a vehicle passed the speed gun.

I have also had a friend challaned by the interceptor for lane cutting. But this was more than 5 years back. Nowadays they seem to only catch speeding with their interceptors.

Also in delhi the traffic police nowadays have motorcycle based interceptors who mainly challan you for using the cell phone. These traffic policemen can be found in most parts of the city nowadays, so be careful about talking on the phone even when there are no policemen around.

-- no1lives4ever

Quote:

Originally Posted by An1 (Post 2152967)
& the place has been a happy hunting ground for the cops for quite a long time now.

When I was in college, in 2001 these cops had just started positioning the interceptors there.

Just my luck that I escaped them one day..I was not carrying my license..had taken dad's car without his permission..on top of it had only 100 bucks total in my pocket. :)

Since then without fail I slow down to 50 km/hr while coming down that slope..

I am the unlucky one trapped there in the year 2000. :Frustrati

I have paid thrice for over speeding. 2 times in year 2000 and once in 2003. :D

Places to watch out in Delhi:

1. Rajouri Garden Flyover (as mentioned above)*
2. Rajouri Garden Flyover (opposite side, just before Gurudwara) have seen there only once.
3. Flyover on Ring Road From (Punjabi Bagh to Brittania) have seen there only once.*
4. On the road that goes from Karol Bagh to Dhaula Kuan
5.Shankar Road (Just before Mandir Marg)
6. Talkatora Road (from Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital to Red Cross Road)*

* I have been caught for over-speeding at these places.

Speeding is as bad as Drunken Driving. Both need to be checked. The speed limit has been set as the most optimum and thereby its our duty to abide by it. Many feel 80 is slow on the BIA highway. Take the data from the past 2 years. Initially when there was no speed check, there were at least 2-3 deaths every month on that road. After implementing these Interceptors, there have been virtually no deaths in the past 6 to 12 months. Speeding kills. 80 is THE right limit till Airport as traffic density is higher and there are plenty of settlements on either side.
Take Singapore for example, they have wider and better quality roads there. But even on their airport road, speed limit is 80kph.

By the way: Do these Interceptors have 'night vision'? Just curious, as i never see them on speed checking duty after dusk!

@rjalihal, I agree 100% with you.

I am bit surprised to see comments on this thread such as: 80 kmph limit is bad, should be more, or, why they are catching for overspeeding, or why there's not a margin of 5-10 kmph, or there are other offenders like violating one-way rule or jumping a red light et al. These give an impression that all the rules are for "them" or the "others" and not for me or us. As long as I am concerned, I am the "one" and not to be touched!

May be I am wrong, but overspeeding is the single largest cause of accidents resulting serious injuries or death. This is as serious an offense as much as other offenses are.

When will we become a bit more responsible on our roads? If some one wants to push their machines hard enogh, go for a racing track. We will probably get some more Kartikeyans and Chandoks to nation's pride. But, please, not on city roads or highways. Those are meant for civilian form of driving, not for motor sports.

Sorry for a long rant.

Cheers
Pratim