Team-BHP - Catching speed violators from INSIDE the Delhi Traffic Police Interceptor
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Catching speed violators from INSIDE the Delhi Traffic Police Interceptor (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/71456-catching-speed-violators-inside-delhi-traffic-police-interceptor.html)

Ever wondered when you are speeding in Delhi above the prescribed speed limit (50-59 kmph) and suddenly a traffic policeman catches you for overspeeding and you keep on wondering how come its possible?

Well, the answer lies here, in certain areas, if you come across a Tata Sumo Victa EX in this type of livery neatly hidden away from motorists way, you know that the police are right most of the time.

Today, I got an exclusive opportunity to sit inside the vehicle and look at how the vehicles are catched from the person sitting inside.

Due to security reasons, not too many pics are allowed but I was permitted to share these 3 pics here. the camera is connected with an HP I-PAC pocket PC connected to an infrared camera with a range of about 750 m, it can detect the exact speed that you are driving and it catches a photo to show the violator.

The things that are displayed are:
date
time
speed limit
actual speed
location (pre fed)
vehicle registration number

Don't be fooled by these Police officers. They know each and every brand of casr that are on sale here and I was surprised when he caught a brand new white nissan teana by saying "Is nissan ki gaadi ko roko!"

Some vehicles caught:

Enjoy the pics:)

Hey Sid,

What is the location of this Interceptor? Is it opposite WHO building on Ring Road at Indraprastha?
Anyways, did you got a chance to talk to them on How to fool their cameras? :Shockked:

Last year when i was stopped by Delhi Traffic Police for driving faster(70kph) than the legal speed limit, i argued with the constable he asked me to go to the intercepter and have a look at the camera, they had a amazingly clear photograph of my Swift with speed and time mentioned on it. I was surprised to see the device's accuracy and the quality of the picture they took.

Anyways i was fined for driving at Rs.400 for driving 15kph above the speed limit of 55kph.

They normally position the Interceptor at places at curves on empty stretches where people cannot stick to unrealistic speed limit. At most places in delhi the speed limit is 50-55kph.

@Sid
I am wondering how did u get the "exclusive opportunity to sit inside the vehicle". Did u plead them to let u do so for Team-BHP's sake :)

@.anshuman
True bro. They always have these setup on smooth, wide roads with less traffic that just beg for some throttle.

I was caught once in Dwarka, Delhi doing 80 in a 60kmph zone. Had to cough up Rs 400/-. Another spot where I see them many times is the Africa Avenue road, just after Sarojini nagar and before Bhikaji Cama Place. speed limit there is only 50kmph. Since that spot is near my house and known to me I always drive there with caution and withing speed limit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish (Post 1630151)
Hey Sid,

What is the location of this Interceptor? Is it opposite WHO building on Ring Road at Indraprastha?
Anyways, did you got a chance to talk to them on How to fool their cameras? :Shockked:

Mayur Vihar 2, near my residence, NH 24. The cam can even catch a car with xenons on during daytime, if so, but the cam has zero effects at night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsp (Post 1630166)
@Sid
I am wondering how did u get the "exclusive opportunity to sit inside the vehicle". Did u plead them to let u do so for Team-BHP's sake :)

No, the pump owner is a friend of mine, and due to alarming number of injuries and deaths on this stretch, the vehicle is deployed. When and where, I can't tell you.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidindica (Post 1630135)

Some vehicles caught:
  • umpteen santros and wagon Rs
  • 2 lineas
  • 1 nissan teana
  • innova and qualis taxis
  • 5 esteems
  • 7 OHCs
  • 2 estilos
  • 7 swifts (including 2 dzires)
  • 3 scorpios
  • 4-5 indicas

3 scorpios and No tata Safaris:Frustrati.This is an insult.Tell me where should I cross the speed limit that the intercepter will catch me and you will add the safari to this list.The list is incomplete without that.It has almost every who's who vehicle in there.From taxis to teana.:D

Hey sid, by the way do the pic they take of the vehicle breaking the speed limits have the number plate also in view?Else how do they prove that its your vehicle?Also do they then chase that vehicle down or does it calculate your speed even before you are approaching it?

Wow, sid And I thought It was really easy to fool Delhi police. In a way It feels good to have such learned Police officers. And in another way its bad for some of us. Nonetheless i like the technology :)

Instead of Hidden camera there should be some thing fixed camera in most of the Fly Over/expressway to note down the speed automatically :) This can reduce accident and over speeding.

so the system used is laser detection instead of radar right?
so im guessing Bangalore interceptors also use the same system.
That means start saving up for a Laser speed Detector/Jammer :D

P.S nice looking fake alloys/ hub caps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidindica (Post 1630135)

Some vehicles caught:
  • umpteen santros and wagon Rs
  • 2 lineas
  • 1 nissan teana
  • innova and qualis taxis
  • 5 esteems
  • 7 OHCs
  • 2 estilos
  • 7 swifts (including 2 dzires)
  • 3 scorpios
  • 4-5 indicas

Hey Sid, BTW which one were you driving. I got to see the whole setup recently when I was stopped myself for speeding. Hehe..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish (Post 1630151)
Hey Sid,

I do not know about here, but back in the states, you get a small gadget they call as an radar. It basically beeps when it detects an cop is standing round the corner with his speed gun turned on and the drivers slow down to the permissible limits. The catch is the cop should be lazy to have his speed gun on constantly as these gadgets work on Doppler theory. If he is doing an on / off thing, the device could fail you. Additionally it works on a very short range.

So maybe if the speed guns here use the same thing (and i see that these guys have it turned on constantly to nab cars) you can get one of these radars so you know that an interceptor is round the corner or something.

That said, why would one want to do an 60 or 70 in city - i see it pointless in our roads. You arrive almost at the same time in your destination irrespective of doing short bursts of fast driving or doing a constant sedate pace in city traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srikanths1 (Post 1631355)
I do not know about here, but back in the states, you get a small gadget they call as an radar. It basically beeps when it detects an cop is standing round the corner with his speed gun turned on and the drivers slow down to the permissible limits. The catch is the cop should be lazy to have his speed gun on constantly as these gadgets work on Doppler theory. If he is doing an on / off thing, the device could fail you. Additionally it works on a very short range.

So maybe if the speed guns here use the same thing (and i see that these guys have it turned on constantly to nab cars) you can get one of these radars so you know that an interceptor is round the corner or something.

That said, why would one want to do an 60 or 70 in city - i see it pointless in our roads. You arrive almost at the same time in your destination irrespective of doing short bursts of fast driving or doing a constant sedate pace in city traffic.

the interceptors use laser detectors i feel thats why they can catch induvisuals in a group of cars speeding with individual speeds.
regarding speeding on our roads ,Agreed that there is barely any space to drive but there are a few places where you can temporarily stretch your cars legs and the imbeclie cops stand there to make money.

sid:

Great thread and feel good to see the interceptors at work, I have seen quite a few in Bangalore but never heard anyone being caught.

From your post can I draw a conclusion that contrary to popular belief, smaller cars actually are more in violation that larger cars OR it is just that there are more smaller cars on the road so more small car violators?

No German cars :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by diffsoft (Post 1631514)
sid:

Great thread and feel good to see the interceptors at work, I have seen quite a few in Bangalore but never heard anyone being caught.

From your post can I draw a conclusion that contrary to popular belief, smaller cars actually are more in violation that larger cars OR it is just that there are more smaller cars on the road so more small car violators?

No German cars :)

That probably the proportion of smaller car on the roads compared to larger cars.
In anycase the sample is too small for us to come to a conclusion. :)

Any one aware of any such technology employed in Chennai?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacman2881 (Post 1631613)
That probably the proportion of smaller car on the roads compared to larger cars.
In anycase the sample is too small for us to come to a conclusion. :)

Any one aware of any such technology employed in Chennai?

You bet this technology is in Chennai.

I was once getting back home from my factory which is in Thiruverkadu (NH4) and there's this cop standing there with his radar gun and his colleague in the middle of the road waving out for me to pull over.

Apparently i was doing a 63 km in a 60 km zone (I was going faster but slowed down when i saw the cop while coming round the bend). 400 bucks fine, with challan of course!!

I did tell the cop that this was after all a NH and 60 was a ridiculously low limit, but he just wouldn't relent.

Target pressures i guess :p