Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 20:26   #16

Thanks everybody for your comments. I spoke to the dealer today. He told me that the car tax for 5 yrs is around 32-33 K. The registration fees is around 2.5-3 K. And the administration fees or whatever you want to call it is around 6-7 K. Going through your comments - it seems that the registration fees that he is quoting is inflated and his profit would be in the region of 10K. I'll check with the local RTO & find out the actual amount. If what he quoted is correct - then I might just go with him and give him the 6-7K. If I find that he has lied about the fees then I'll definitely make a fuss and get it done myself. Also thinking of getting a temporary reg as we are so close to the year end - and get a permanent reg in 2010. Will keep you posted. And thanks again for your inputs.
Old 20th December 2009, 01:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnisumita View Post
I'll check with the local RTO & find out the actual amount. If what he quoted is correct - then I might just go with him and give him the 6-7K.
There is no need to give even this 6-7k.

Get an RTO agent who will take care of the whole thing for 1k - 2k Rs.
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:31   #18

REgistration Charges for a new car

Hi,

I am planning on buying a new Fiat GP Emotion+ -

The ex showroom @ Chennai works out to around 6.24 L - Concorde is charging 56 K for LifeTax, registration and handling (8 % for lifetax, 2500 for handling and rest for Registration)

I felt like this was a bit high - but would like to know from this excellent community - are they justified in making these charges ? what should the ideal charges be ?

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd December 2009 at 20:40. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread, Thanks
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebu View Post
Hi,

I am planning on buying a new Fiat GP Emotion+ -

The ex showroom @ Chennai works out to around 6.24 L - Concorde is charging 56 K for LifeTax, registration and handling (8 % for lifetax, 2500 for handling and rest for Registration)

I felt like this was a bit high - but would like to know from this excellent community - are they justified in making these charges ? what should the ideal charges be ?
Thanks for the previous poster and the mod, I did some self calculations and looks like this might be slightly on the higher side, but I will use that knowledge as a leverage for bargaining, :-)

Here is how I calculated.

ex showroom price
624000 Life Time Tax @ 8 %
Road Safety Tax 1500
Transit Insurance (assumed)
Number Plates 500
Driver Bata (nominal charges)
Diesel Charges 500
Total
Old 24th December 2009, 12:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ Ceebu : You have missed out on Agent Charge of Rs 2.5-3k depending upon RTO
Old 3rd April 2010, 20:05   #21

Incidental Charges,Handling Charges, Registration Expenses- nothing but a Rip-Off ?

Every 4 wheeler dealer in Bangalore includes an item when we ask for the total cost of the vehicle.It is called by various names by various dealers.
e.g. Incidental charges, Handling charges, registration expenses for which no account is given.

This charge is approximately 1% of the Ex-Showroom price of the car.

The question is when we are paying Lifetime Tax,Insurance separately, why should we pay this extra which is nothing but bribe/ dealer rip-off.

any replies?
Old 4th April 2010, 07:44   #22
BHPian

Registeration is not. It is law mandated.
Rest of the items are a rip-off.

Even the Regn & Insurance charges they quote are inflated atleast 20% if not more.

However, since its a common practice you'll see it everywhere. Try to talk to him about the net value of the car. Tell him you'll take care of everything else yourself. Most dealers dont agree to this, but a few do.
Old 4th April 2010, 10:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

I had once asked the Mitsu dealer why the Cedia needs 45K for regn/road tax, while a much higher priced Civic needs 41K. (Kolkata figures). I was told that the rates are fixed by RTO and higher capacity engines have higher amounts. In this case 2.0 vs 1.8. But then the logic does not seem to hold. The Jetta 1.9tdi and the Laura 1.8 TSi regn/RT costs around 60K here!!
To put into perspective, a 1.6L Baleno's road tax renewal after 5yrs costs around 27K. When I bought my car, I was charged around 4K for handling etc, and was told it's for bribes blah blah, so no receipts.
Old 4th April 2010, 10:58   #24
BHPian

It is indeed a rip-off. My Hyundai dealer told me it's for "service charges" to the RTO agent.
Old 4th April 2010, 11:07   #25
BANNED

You dont have to pay a rupee more over the exshowroom price. Tell them you will take care of everything else.

Which ever dealer does not agree. Start a Thread here with a topic, So-So name charges extra and send mails to the manufacturer regarding unethical practises by the dealer.
Old 4th April 2010, 14:58   #26
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Guys- its not even a question, the dealers make a killing on the charges. Its well known and accepted by us- the educated people who are allowing this to happen. Wonder why not many have made use of this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...bangalore.html
The answer is the reason why the dealers are making merry- IGNORANCE.
I got my car registered and also previous cars ownership transferred by paying ZERO bribe etc.
Hope this helps and many can make use.
Old 4th April 2010, 15:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
The answer is the reason why the dealers are making merry- IGNORANCE.
I got my car registered and also previous cars ownership transferred by paying ZERO bribe etc.
Hope this helps and many can make use.
@mkh: Thanks for throwing light on this. It is heartening to know you paid zero bribe. You link is excellent and is saved by me for future reference.

Request mods to keep that thread parked for easy reference

Cheers,
Old 4th April 2010, 15:33   #28
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
@mkh: Thanks for throwing light on this. It is heartening to know you paid zero bribe. You link is excellent and is saved by me for future reference.

Request mods to keep that thread parked for easy reference

Cheers,
Thanks- great to see its of use to you. I have also posted to the Mods- on how to get max visibility to the thread, did not get the right attention. I think they should add this amongst the threads which people should refer before buying a new car!
Old 4th April 2010, 15:34   #29
BHPian

We bought a Suzuki Ritz LXI in February 2010,

The car was bought from Pasco, Gurgaon that is why I was able to get the car on a Temporary Number from the Gurgaon RTO.

Because in Delhi one cannot get a car registered themselves if the owner plans to register the car in Delhi itself. As Registration Number allotment in Delhi is done online. Hence I purchased the car from Gurgaon.

The Sales adviser deducted Rs 15,000/- from the total cost and added Rs: 200/- for the Temporary Registration.

Then I got the car registered in Delhi ( Vasant Vihar, RTO, DL 12C ) for a little under Rs: 10,000/- This money was accounted for and I got a receipt for it as well, signed and stamped by the officials at the RTO.

All in all I ended up saving Rs: 4800/-

The registration process was very simple and it did not take more than 15 minutes, including the Inspection done by the RTO's inspector. I went in directly at the relevant counter without the involvement of any agent.

Last edited by maglev : 4th April 2010 at 15:41.
Old 6th April 2010, 18:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnisumita View Post
Thanks everybody for your comments. I spoke to the dealer today. He told me that the car tax for 5 yrs is around 32-33 K. The registration fees is around 2.5-3 K. And the administration fees or whatever you want to call it is around 6-7 K. Going through your comments - it seems that the registration fees that he is quoting is inflated and his profit would be in the region of 10K. I'll check with the local RTO & find out the actual amount. If what he quoted is correct - then I might just go with him and give him the 6-7K. If I find that he has lied about the fees then I'll definitely make a fuss and get it done myself. Also thinking of getting a temporary reg as we are so close to the year end - and get a permanent reg in 2010. Will keep you posted. And thanks again for your inputs.
Car tax for 5 years?? AFAIK there's a one time tax to be paid + road tax. Both of these are to be paid for the lifetime of the car. They don't expire. Apart from the registration charges and these taxes, you may also have to pay octroi if your residence is within octroi limits.

As for dealers getting a cut, they don't get a cut, but they fleece you by charging an astronomical sum. If the registration and taxes amount to Rs. 10,000/- and the broker/agent charges another Rs. 1,000/- and if you pay the dealer Rs. 40,000/-, the dealer will be pocketing the difference. Get an RTO agent to do these jobs for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks