Team-BHP - The COMBI - Why not in India ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The COMBI - Why not in India ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/7217-combi-why-not-india.html)

Fellas,

Skoda India has tasted great success in a market like India where its so damn hard to please all the people all the while. The 1.9 TDI diesel plant is an awesome engine - frugal and power packed ! so the question I want Skoda to answer is -

Why doesnt it launch the COMBI (Station wagon) here ?

For the moment - forget the fledgling market for the SW's which will dictate CKD's pushing up price .

I mean with that killer TDI engine , the COMBI with extra space could well script another smashing sucess story for Skoda here !

whats your take ? why doesnt Skoda launch the COMBI ? are they wary of the low volumes ?? or is it something else ?

cheers

they are launching the combi soon in india ..
at a higher price full luxury leather ..(L&K specs)

there was a news coverage of a party thrown for all skoda owners ..couple of celebs showed up too ..(i cant recollect where it was)
the superb and the combi were up on display there ..Combi they said will be their next launch..
i am guessing with their new octavia they will also launch the Combi ..

cheers

In that party, was there any mention of Fabia?? I am kind of waiting for that car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sush
In that party, was there any mention of Fabia?? I am kind of waiting for that car.

not that i can remmember ..yes i know its much awaited ..
it is supposed to be launched end of 2006 ..

there was an article in the hindu newspaper today where the MD mentioned abt a 5 lac car being launched next year in india.... any guess which one it could be ??

The Baleno Station wagon, Swing and Adevnture have not exactly hit sales records.

Besides I think the Combi thing came from Germany where family vacations mean driving around the country side not flying to Switzerland or Australia.

Before the SUV phenomenon/fad Combis had a market in the US too but the SUV killed that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Fellas,

Skoda India has tasted great success in a market like India

I would like you to throw me somelight on this.

I haven't seen much Skoda's on road (atleast in Chennai). To what cars it can be compared and how successful it is when compared to its competitors.

They sell 500+ cars a month approx. This is success in that segment. Corolla was the hot seller till sometime back as it sold 900+ cars/month

I don't see much market here for a premium estate wagon, the Altura didn't set any sort of charts on fire even though it was the better half of the Baleno series. Same goes for the Swing or anything else that I may have left out. At close to 14 lakhs, which is probably what it would be priced at, people will go all out with the bigger is better philosophy, and settle for the Innova or the Tucson or the Endeavour or the DICOR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ported_head
At close to 14 lakhs, which is probably what it would be priced at, people will go all out with the bigger is better philosophy, and settle for the Innova or the Tucson or the Endeavour or the DICOR.

Absolutely. Indian's don't like Station Wagon looks and would much rather go for an SUV with it's butch looks. That's the reason the Forester did not sell well. Besides, at the 14lakh price point, there are a lot of competing vehicles that offer a lot more space than the Octavia - like the Innova, Tucson, CR-V, Forester (maybe not more space, but certainly more fun to drive), Safari, Scorpio (remember, the Combi won't offer more back seat room than the Octy notchback, just more luggage space). Even if it is fantastically well-equipped, I don't see much market for the Combi.

not many people approve station wagons..they willl go for a larger car.....at 14 lakhs......

and skoda fabia.....2006 end..gross...i will be packing my bags right then, for MS........so it wont be any use for me if they launch it that late....

Skoda will be launching Octavia Combi this month which would be followed by Superb Diesel in November, says its MD...

http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/sep/01skoda.htm

The Combi will never sell in India. There simply isn't a market for premium station wagon's in tis country. Skoda will soon realise that if they do end up launching the Combi.

Even if Skoda launch the combi version of the octavia it will sell in very few numbers, as Rtech said the market is not ready for premium station wagons. We can take the example of the Baleno Altura itself, which didn't sell as well as saloon.
People are buying Indigo Marina just because of its low price tag.

IMO, if people are shelling out 11 lakhs for a Innova, that looks like a minivan, then why cant they buy a Octy Combi which is much more stylish and frugal.