Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will this Change Improve our Environment and User Awareness?
Yes, it is a positive change in the right direction. 37 78.72%
No, its implementation has too many hurdles to make it effective. 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 12:38   #16
BHPian

Bad Bad Bad Move!!

Cars give mileage depending on various factors such as:

1. driving habit of the driver
2. condition of the car
3. fuel, engine, road condition, tyres size and pressure, etc.

My SX4 goves more than claimed by maruti and users too, so i guess rating cars on FE theoretically it just nonsense.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

This could be a good move if implemented in the right way. Along with the FE star, a safety star should also be made mandatory. I bet we will find that certain cars with great FE score very poorly on safety 'cos their bodies are made of tin cans. This will give the customer the bigger picture when deciding on the car.
Old 29th December 2009, 14:38   #18
BHPian

Talking about fuel efficient cars, I think the ANHC is right up there in the top spot. I wanted to check myself on the much talked about the fuel effiency of the ANHC. Here are some staggering figures of my journey from Bangalore-Shimoga-Bangalore.
Total Distance travelled : 600 KM
Petrol (Shell Premium) : 28 Lts

I was trying my best to drive in a fuel efficient way with the guidance from the TRIP computer onboard. This really helps. I didn't compromise on the speed either. Let me know if anyone is interested to understand the fuel efficient driving tips

-Jayanth
Old 29th December 2009, 14:39   #19
BHPian

Talking about fuel efficient cars, I think the ANHC is right up there in the top spot. I wanted to check myself on the much talked about, fuel effiency of the ANHC. Here are some staggering figures of my journey from Bangalore-Shimoga-Bangalore.
Total Distance travelled : 600 KM
Petrol (Shell Premium) : 28 Lts

I was trying my best to drive in a fuel efficient way with the guidance from the TRIP computer onboard. This really helps. I didn't compromise on the speed either. Let me know if anyone is interested to understand the fuel efficient driving tips

-Jayanth
Old 29th December 2009, 15:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Auto Idustry is not happy about this. Also lot of corruption can go into this.

Source : Auto industry fumes over Power Min plan to rate mileage

Article :

Quote:
NEW DELHI: The auto industry is miffed over a move by the Power Ministry to start rating passenger cars on the basis of fuel economy by next month, stating manufacturers are already making public the mileage of vehicles.

The nodal agency for implementing energy conservation programme, the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) is expected to implement rating of cars on the basis of fuel efficiency charging about Rs 200 per unit from manufacturers.

"A proposal is with the Power Ministry. It is likely to be approved soon and start by January. The energy efficiency rating of cars will be on a voluntary basis initially, and made mandatory later," a Power Ministry source said.

Consultations have been going on with the automobile industry on the issue for the past 3-4 months and the proposal was modified accordingly, another Power Ministry source said.

However, when contacted, a senior Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) official, said no such consultations took place on conditions of anonymity.

"No documents or papers ever reached us. It is being done single handedly by BEE," the official said, adding such ratings are unwelcome as manufacturers are making public and constantly upgrading mileage of their vehicles.

"What is the benefit that customers are going to get from the BEE rating?" the SIAM official said.

SIAM has already implemented a voluntary programme from April this year, under which all of its members declare mileage of their vehicles certified by the Automotive Research Association of India.
@jayanth_yk :
I think all new cars are able to deliver good FE. As mentioned earlier, a lot depends on load, driving condition and driving habits. For example, our Baleno still gives 15-16 on expresshiway with 4 adults + luggage + AC. The technology has done its bit, its now turn of roads, traffic manners and good quality fuel.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:19   #21
BHPian

I voted for 'No'. Like some one said in a previous post, the number of enthusiasts cars coming into the market will be reduced. Also this gives an opportunity to false certification. Not a great move, as I see it.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:34   #22
BHPian

Bad Move

This is an comply Insane Move By the Govt.

They should first start rating the road condition on which we travel everyday
the daily traffic that we people bare is the main cause for global warming.

the amount of fuel wasted each time you wait on traffic signal for 45 sec or waiting on a jam street .. just because these politicians eat money.

even if the road conditions improve it will affect the fuel efficiency of each and every commuter

i Don't agree with such rules
Old 29th December 2009, 22:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Voted for NO.

I am not aware if such standards exists, but if at all there are any, what are standards for such FE testing ?

This will boil down to gearing easily. Laura has lower gearing than Jetta so if the figures are for constant 80 kmph driving, then Jetta wins, but if its in city, then Laura will fair better due to lower gearing that will allow it to hold on higher gear for a bit longer.

This is like two wheeler majors claiming high FE. CT100 giving 100+kmpl. Centra bombed due to this IIRC. The catch was " under 130kg payload the bike was driven at 40kmph " to get the FE. This was standard.

In case of cars, if similar conditions are recreated, then IMO, its a very bad move.
The testing is done in a lab environment and on a dyno. All cars are driven under the same conditions and the same style....so its an apples to apples comparison.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:23   #24
BHPian

Please ! Someone enlighten me on what is the harm of having one more additional information regarding FE based star rating.

Offcourse there could be more informations relevent.

cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks