Team-BHP - Hyundai Getz...Major Problem and Hyundai isnt responding
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Hyundai Getz...Major Problem and Hyundai isnt responding (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/72982-hyundai-getz-major-problem-hyundai-isnt-responding-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by animdas (Post 1666017)
Can you not go to the consumer forums and register your complaint?

hey speedz you could go to the consumer forum now like many are suggesting, it will drag on for months if not years(thanks to our most efficient judicial service). But i personally would not like to go through all the trouble just for a pair of tires. Even at the end of which if you win, the court would order them to give a pair of new tires and maybe a meager amount of money as compensation for all the trouble. And like Mr walker has said please do change the tires ASAP or stop driving this vehicle till you sort out this issue with hyundai/ goodyear.

Regards
Rocky

Buying another set of tires is the best thing to do. I agree.

The deal offered by Hyundai is a 'part solution' to a part warranty issue .Changing 2 tires will not solve the issue and the service adviser wants to wait and watch for further deterioration of the other three tires before recommending a replacement of the other three.

I know that as I have already mentioned in the first post. I hope the thread at least serves the intention; to knock on Hyundai's doors and to make them aware as to how the customers are cheated in this whole part warranty claim. Not that Hyundai/other manufacturers are not aware of it, because they designed part warranty/vendor warranty for the exact same purpose; passing the buck. :)

I am sure Speedz must be able to afford Neovas for his rocket, but a warranty claim is a matter of principle..its our right. weather or not one can buy new tires is a different issue.
If the same were to happen in US or any other consumer friendly country, the car manufacturer would be sued for god knows how many $millions.. And you can see the responsiveness of these same companies in other countries.
Warranty claims are a joke in our country and we need a small revolution to set ball rolling.. We have seen this awareness lately and this forum has helped a lot to reach the masses and hit the car companies/dealers where it hurts most.

Shaz hit the nail right on the head. Was about to try and post something to that effect.

If enough awareness were to be spread to the masses, consumers will question the product manufacturer before buying the product. In due course of time, manufacturers will have to accept that they are selling a product for which they are responsible 'in total'.

Is Hyundai selling a car or a "component assembly of parts, the sum of which does not have a warranty but the individual components that constitute the car will have warranTIES that will be handled by the individual part vendor" ?

If Hyundai is selling a vehicle, they should be standing by it rather than making a customer run around form service center to alignment centers. Its surprising that they pride themselves on customer satisfaction. Maybe because thousands of such cases probably go unreported in the media, forums etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedz (Post 1665886)
I have had the suspension checked up. Have had the alignment also checked outside. Everything adds up.

The wheels go out of balance every 100-150 kilometers of normal running. Once they go out of balance the tires wear out unevenly and leads to more wobbling and vibrations. I get the wheels balanced again and the issue disappears and the car drives rock solid for another 100 kilometers...and so on.

Once, wheels get balanced ,they go out of balance only because of uneven weight distribution because of
  1. weights falling off(very rare)
  2. bent rim
  3. uneven tyre wear
Uneven tyre wear in turn is primarily caused by a faulty suspension(this can be due to camber,castor,toe not being within specs.

Normally only toe is adjusted during alignment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedz (Post 1666160)
Buying another set of tires is the best thing to do. I agree.

The deal offered by Hyundai is a 'part solution' to a part warranty issue .Changing 2 tires will not solve the issue and the service adviser wants to wait and watch for further deterioration of the other three tires before recommending a replacement of the other three.

I know that as I have already mentioned in the first post. I hope the thread at least serves the intention; to knock on Hyundai's doors and to make them aware as to how the customers are cheated in this whole part warranty claim. Not that Hyundai/other manufacturers are not aware of it, because they designed part warranty/vendor warranty for the exact same purpose; passing the buck. :)

The root cause of the problem is something else - tyre wear is just a sperficial cause.

BTW,what is the month of manufacture of tyres?you'll find it on the sidewall eg.2608 means 26th week of 2008.

Write to Hyundai Korea - maybe they'll be able to help better

The service center is claiming that the car is alright and the tires are too. They are blatantly overlooking the report provided by the Goodyear representative; the tires have patchy, uneven wear.

Suspension mounts have been checked, alignment is found to be perfect. Its just that the tires are going off balance because of uneven wear happening due to the running.

In all this, a consumer is reduced to a state where in he is tired of running around and resorts to putting in after market parts etc and further putting his vehicle at the risk of voiding warranty. I mean isn't this entire warranty thing a scam and a sham?

Why should a consumer be forced to arrange a public demo in order to claim his right? And why should he be forced to cosy up to the service center advisers/manager and get into their good books in order to receive service/warranty? So basically I will have to bribe my way to get replacement stuff, claim warranty for a car? :uncontrol

There is a way to eliminate the confusion about which is the culprit-car or tyre?

Do you have a close friend who has a Getz whose tyres are nearing the end of their life?You could swap the rims+tyres with his and then see how your car performs on the new set of wheels?If there is no issue after 100 kms under the same driving conditions ,that means your Goodyear tyres are faulty.

Alternatively,you can get some old Getz tyres and try - will not cost you much.

Sorry if I am giving you all kinds of ideas,but something has to be done to get to the real problem,especially when Hyundai and GY are both not too bothered.

1. weights falling off(very rare)
  2. bent rim
  3. uneven tyre wear
The service adviser is listing the first two causes but unwilling to even accept that the third cause can be a probable cause. And hence he wants to experiment with just two tires.

I have spoken to Hyundai customer care, Chennai (some Regional office) today and told them that I will accept 5 tires at 25% of the cost but not just two tires and the constant running around involved for the next three months to replace the next three. Sounds like a logical,feasible solution. They haven't accepted it yet. And they are quoting the normal market price for the tire.I doubt if Hyundai would have bought the tires form Goodyear for 2500 rs.

This looks very simmilar to the Punto Thread with somewhat simmilar problem. FIAT used their engineering skills and assesses this as a "Terrain" Problem. (Yeah I know what you said.:) ) IIRC They gave the guy alloys for free too but never really solved the problem.

Is the uneven wear on all four tyres?

Hi Speedz,
Just a few suggestions.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky080 (Post 1665816)
hi speedz from what you have described about the problem. I would think that there is a very serious issue with the suspension setup. As you told that there is uneven wearing on all the other three tires also, not all the tires can be defective(if there was a defect with the batch of tires that are on your car then all three tires should have the chipping issue). Where did you get the wheel alignment and balancing done? If it is at the dealers place try getting it done somewhere outside. There is a really good place near shantinagar bangalore called Madhus enterprise.

Regards
Rocky

Note from Team BHP Support.
We request you avoid using short forms of words like u for you and so on.
Thanks for your co-operation.
Support Team

Two tires are a complete write-off. The other three are on their way and have uneven, patchy wear. The service adviser wants me to test my luck by replacing just two tires. Wonder why they display so much disregard for a customer's safety. And interestingly Hyundai regional office is taking his recommendations and is agreeing with him. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by prats (Post 1666618)
Hi Speedz,
Just a few suggestions.
  • Do take a second opinion from any other Hyundai authorized service station regarding ur problem and also visit a good computerized wheel alignment centre. If u are in whitefield area, i believe tyre empire is a good place to check out the alignment / balancing
  • If good PR does not help, then plz do gently break it to him that consumer forum is there to deal with such nasty dealers

Have already got alignment done from other sources. Now only thing left for me to pursue is to ask Hyundai to just solve the tire wear problem as I suspect the car chassis, wheels, suspension, struts, metal etc etc. :D

Have already dropped hints about consumer forum and team-bhp, and that only elicited the lackadaisical, nonchalant response, "sir even Mercedes Benz also does the same and no court will help, try if you want "

Speedz it seems its a tyre issue, maybe a faulty batch. Get the data of suspension check up, alignment etc and then try finding escalation in goodyear.

8000 kms is way too short a time and the vendor needs to respond and Hyundai needs to help you with all the facts.

If you are hitting dead ends with these, dont think twice just file a case in consumer court. This is definitely not acceptable! be it US of A or India!

A similar problem is beign faced by a colleague of mine who has just done 4000 kms in his Getz and his fron right tyre is already wearing out unevenly.

Since his runs are quite short, he could not notice it but one day when standing next to his car i pointed out the wear out, he was aghast.!!

It seems to me that there is a problem either in the car's build or the stock tyres just dont match.

this is turning out to be a revelation-every extra time I read your first post ,I am beginning to feel that it could be faulty tyres-dismissed this thought initially as I just couldn't even think that could be true.Probably the batch of tyres was bad.

If you try what I had suggested in my last post,you could then zero in on thE real cause and then point the gun - Hyundai OR GY?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigsom (Post 1666885)
this is turning out to be a revelation-every extra time I read your first post ,I am beginning to feel that it could be faulty tyres-dismissed this thought initially as I just couldn't even think that could be true.Probably the batch of tyres was bad.

If you try what I had suggested in my last post,you could then zero in on thE real cause and then point the gun - Hyundai OR GY?

I agree the batch could be bad! i think the best way is to sue the car manufacturer and claim compensation for risk to life. then I am sure they would take steps to solve the problems. As it is Indian are penny wise and pound foolish.

they would rather pay up or repair the problem when threatened with court action than be proactive and build a better image of their A.S.S.