Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 01:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Could you care to explain why a so called 20 year design outsells the Grande by a wide margin? Safari maybe a 10 year old design but it still looks very contemporary and far better than the Scorpio in my opinion.
Correct again, Sumo Grande might be value for money but it looks really disproportionate. The fact that you mentioned about the D-Pillar of the Safari in an earlier post is true for the Grande too, it has a hideous bulky D pillar.

@wrongturn
The Scorpio might look muscular to you, but to me it looks like a car with bulges at the wrong places because of a steroid overdose
Old 14th January 2010, 07:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safari maybe a 10 year old design but it still looks very contemporary and far better than the Scorpio in my opinion.
Guys, lets not turn this into another "S Vs S" comparision thread. Irrespective of age old designs, we buy them in India. For us(for majority of buyers) technology, age old designs, safety etc do not mean much. Mileage, discounts, freebies, exterior looks matter more.
Old 14th January 2010, 14:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Guys, lets not turn this into another "S Vs S" comparision thread. Irrespective of age old designs, we buy them in India. For us(for majority of buyers) technology, age old designs, safety etc do not mean much. Mileage, discounts, freebies, exterior looks matter more.
So true. That is why the Indian manufacturers rip us off. I mean, when these Indian vehicles are compared with the ones abroad, they look like peanuts. These manufacturers can provide us with the best of products in terms of performance, safety technology etc. but the developments are one at a time, slow and at an ever increasing price. A few upgrades and increase the price. They can do so much better than just a few polished upgrades but...
Old 15th January 2010, 01:45   #34
BHPian

Start Stop Mechanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
micro hybrids are ones with the start stop system.
the engine shuts off if it is idling for too long.
i think it is 3-5 seconds. you have to press the clutch and the engine starts again. it has an uprated starter motor and relevant uprated electrics.
The Micro Hybrid Technology is an engine Start Stop mechanism. Here is more information on Start Stop system of Scorpio
Old 10th February 2010, 20:29   #35
BHPian

The prices for the new Scorpio Special Edition are out. The price of these 1000 that will ever be made are 1,006,300.00 ( Ex showroom Mumbai)

The 4 wheel drive I suspect will cost a little extra since it is essentially the VLX with a few more creature comforts.

The link to find out the prices for your city the link is

::::: MAHINDRA SCORPIO :::::
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio: Special Edition (1000 only)-untitled.jpg  

Old 11th February 2010, 00:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

How long is Mahindra going to continue with this Soviet era contraption?. One test drive is all it takes to know it's origins and all the lacquer and lace can't hide this car's age!.
Old 11th February 2010, 01:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

What edition should we demand that does not have the toothy grill??! And when will manufacturers offer special editions that go beyond cosmetics?!!
Old 11th February 2010, 09:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
what is micro hybrid here? is it name given for special edition or it has some hybrid component!
micro hybrid is a misleading way of showing off the start/stop technology from bosch. nothing hybrid there. it just saves some fuel on signal stops etc.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunsasi View Post
micro hybrid is a misleading way of showing off the start/stop technology from bosch. nothing hybrid there. it just saves some fuel on signal stops etc.
Imagine the same amount of fuel saved by 1000 scorpios on different signals in a single city/metro and imagine the same at any given point of time in the whole state/country. The quantity saved will be huge.
Old 11th February 2010, 14:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
limited editions are the best way to clear extra stock lying in your yard!

add few cosmetics here and there and volla you have 1000 fools to buy the same stuff at a higher price!
Wasn't aware that Mahindra needs LE's to "clear extra stock".
Dear "1000 fools" don't buy this. Go get yourself a "regular" Scorpio, take off the wheels, strip the pressure sensors off them and get them chromed. While you are at it (either losing your warranty and/or losing you cool while arguing with the *** in the process), you can scour the market for a LCD panel, get the leather seats and get some better decals(All this while hoping that the dealers wont take you for a ride).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
I really don't wanna start a Scorpio v Safari bashing game but couldn't resist to point out that apart from stickers and Micro Hybrid technology, Safari VX has pretty much everything boasted in Scorpio limited edition.
I don't wanna continue this Scorpio v Safari bashing game either but couldn't resist pointing out that even with all the features that the LE has, the Safari hasn't caused significant damage to the Scorpios sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
I am with you. The new Scorpio looks too plasticky, at least in pictures. That plastic-looking piece attached to the middle of the grille just sucks. And the front bumper seems to have been made for another car - too rectangular to gel with the rest of the front end and as if it emphasize this, the bumper sometimes sports a different color. Thankfully, we see a uniform color for this special edition.

The less said about those ridiculous checkered flag decals, the better. Whoever buys this car, please remove those decals.

I am not a big fan of the interiors either. Those A/C vents at the center of the dashboard resemble the eyes of an insect. And I hate insects.
The bumper IS a little too edgy(BAD) when compared to the rest of the car. But it IS quite a bit tougher(GOOD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finject View Post
Selling 1000 cars will be no issue for Mahindra and I assume they will be priced really high. Its for those people who want to flaunt their SUV's as stylish and aristocratic. For the normal people, a few tweaks here and there wont actually make a difference if the price is going to be considerable up. However there will be few people who would be willing to buy these at really exorbitant prices just because it has the 'Special Edition' tag attached to it. I do strongly support the launch of such special edition vehicles as it shows how classy your normal vehicle can look.
Yup. Getting rid of 1000 cars is no sweat for Mahindra. Would've really liked it if they had given better wheels at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
No use making such appeals. Seems some people just cant resist S bashing. Especially if they like (god forbid; own) the other S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

What edition should we demand that does not have the toothy grill??! And when will manufacturers offer special editions that go beyond cosmetics?!!
I hate that grill too. the earlier one was better.
Old 11th February 2010, 16:25   #41
BHPian

All this S v/s S bashing and then all the later S bashing regarding the grill, who is bashing who?

So I will follow the better approach, the Gandhian way, lets not bash anyone and for that I suspect I might get bashed. But before I do lets look at it objectively.

The Scorpio LE is just the VLX with the following features. They are

1. Leather Strapped steering wheel, -

2. Integrated roof mounted DVD with a 9" roof mounted screen

3. Dual Airbags -

4. Luxurious European leather - this means about 5 European cows were slaughtered for the skin and then made wonderfully into seats. Key point here is that they dint use the holy cows.

5. Alloy wheels with chrome finish -

6. some more leather on the gear knob and a wood finished central bezel.

The total cost of the cosmetic changes, about and if you go and get it done in the after market it'll cost about

The wheels around 30K
The leather 50K
and the ICE another 15K

Thats about a cost of about 80K after negotiating, assuming you negotiate well.

The premium being charged at least in ex showroom Mumbai is 75K, so the premium being charged is very near the real value of the Car, even with the extra stuff they are still not cheating anyone.

So for all interested parties the choice is a simple one which boils down the need and price.

So if someone wants to buy it cos they love the brand and there is no doubt that plenty of people on this forum do and they have the extra cash, I say why not. If being one of the 1000 people makes you happy then go ahead. If it doesn't then don't. Buy a Safari but just to remind the safari owners every minute you spend Scorpio bashing is a minute you waste not admiring the Safari.
Old 11th February 2010, 17:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianchiefrsd View Post
So I will follow the better approach, the Gandhian way, .....

The total cost of the cosmetic changes, about and if you go and get it done in the after market it'll cost about

The wheels around 30K
The leather 50K
and the ICE another 15K

Thats about a cost of about 80K after negotiating, assuming you negotiate well.

The premium being charged at least in ex showroom Mumbai is 75K, so the premium being charged is very near the real value of the Car, even with the extra stuff they are still not cheating anyone.

So for all interested parties the choice is a simple one which boils down the need and price.

So if someone wants to buy it cos they love the brand and there is no doubt that plenty of people on this forum do and they have the extra cash, I say why not. If being one of the 1000 people makes you happy then go ahead. If it doesn't then don't.

Ghandhiji ki jai!!

I agree with you about the above points. But, don't they give alloys on the VLX? If so the only difference is that LE gets chromed ones. Chroming should cost INR 1000 per wheel I guess. So the premium charged for the wheels should be 5k in my opinion.
However all said and done, if someone wants to pay the premium for the luxury of not having to run around to get these things done, its completely their prerogative.
Old 11th February 2010, 17:25   #43
BHPian

How would M&M put some stickers and say it's limited edition.
I feel Vista 2009 limited edition seems to be the bench mark for limited edition.
Old 11th February 2010, 17:31   #44
BHPian

Guys,

This was very much showcased in Auto Expo as well. Please see the photos.

I agree with Gandhiji, you have complete free dom to choose what you want to buy, LE or no LE
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio: Special Edition (1000 only)-dsc_0030.jpg  

Scorpio: Special Edition (1000 only)-dsc_0031.jpg  

Scorpio: Special Edition (1000 only)-dsc_0032.jpg  

Scorpio: Special Edition (1000 only)-dsc_0033.jpg  

Scorpio: Special Edition (1000 only)-dsc_0034.jpg  

Old 11th February 2010, 18:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Man phots are awesome.How come everyone missed this when it was showcased in Auto Expo.Thanks @leo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks