Team-BHP - Request for inputs shifting car from KA 51 to TN 22
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Request for inputs shifting car from KA 51 to TN 22 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/73607-request-inputs-shifting-car-ka-51-tn-22-a.html)

Hello BHPians,

I am shifting my base from bangalore to chennai and I need to do re-registration to my Getz CRDi from KA 51 to TN 22.

Can you give inputs that what I need to do and how much it would cost?

As far as my knowledge I have to get a NOC from KA 51 before going to chennai so that i can pay the registration fee and tax again :Frustrati

Please correct me if am wrong. And also please let me know what is the cheap and best way to do it.

TN 22 does that mean you are relocating to somewhere near South Chennai?? Anyway, this is one thing even I have been wondering everytime.

But I know of a sure way that could be of help, try it thro middlemen, especially the driving school people, they will know the process and the also know some people in there. Not sure if that would be cheap, but it would surely be effii cient

Quote:

Originally Posted by trtraj (Post 1681991)
Hello BHPians,

I am shifting my base from bangalore to chennai and I need to do re-registration to my Getz CRDi from KA 51 to TN 22.

As far as my knowledge I have to get a NOC from KA 51 before going to chennai so that i can pay the registration fee and tax again :Frustrati

Please correct me if am wrong. And also please let me know what is the cheap and best way to do it.

Hey, TN 22 means somewhere around my area!

That is right, get an NOC from KA 51. Then the re-registration fee and road tax will have to be paid at TN 22 for the remaining period from the original date of registration. This will usually be in 5 year slabs. Also you will have to apply for and get a refund from KA 51 for the similar period.

Approach a reputed driving school in your area after you shift here, and get it done through them. They will know all the ropes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trtraj (Post 1681991)
Hello BHPians,

Guess TN 22 is around Kancheepuram, right?

Anyway, if your stay at TN 22 is going to be greater than an year , you have to either pay TN road tax/ Pay TN road tax and re-register your car.

Either way you got to have an NOC.

If not, you can just have few evidences like fuel bills, toll tickets, etc to show it to the cops and say that you are just on a visit, that in case they flag you down.

Normally, the cops are keen on motorcycles than cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRIV3R (Post 1684495)
Guess TN 22 is around Kancheepuram, right?

Anyway, if your stay at TN 22 is going to be greater than an year , you have to either pay TN road tax/ Pay TN road tax and re-register your car.

Either way you got to have an NOC.

If not, you can just have few evidences like fuel bills, toll tickets, etc to show it to the cops and say that you are just on a visit, that in case they flag you down.

Normally, the cops are keen on motorcycles than cars.

It is Meenambakkam!

For paying the road tax alone (without re-registration) NOC is not necessary. I did it for my TN 22 registered Splendor at Bangalore (Yeshwantpur RTO) when I used it there for 5 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1684517)
It is Meenambakkam!

For paying the road tax alone (without re-registration) NOC is not necessary. I did it for my TN 22 registered Splendor at Bangalore (Yeshwantpur RTO) when I used it there for 5 years.

Correct me if am wrong but is it not the rule to apply for re-registration if the vehicle is going to be used for more than 11 months in the new state ? And, are you saying that you were using your bike in Bangalore for 5 years with a TN registration but paid road tax in Bangalore ? I never knew this is possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rr_zen (Post 1684531)
Correct me if am wrong but is it not the rule to apply for re-registration if the vehicle is going to be used for more than 11 months in the new state ? And, are you saying that you were using your bike in Bangalore for 5 years with a TN registration but paid road tax in Bangalore ? I never knew this is possible.

Payment of road tax is enough. Re-registration is not mandatory. :) And the road tax is calculated as per the current value of the vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rr_zen (Post 1684531)

Ha ha, you are correct! The bike was barely a few months old when I re-located to Bangalore. Had I got wind of the relocation, I would have waited and bought the bike at Bangalore. But those were the hey-days of Dr.Rajkumar abduction etc and TN registered vehicles were singled out for special treatment every time. A few colleagues even had their TN plates painted in Kannada and got away for a while!

I got tired of getting hauled up on the roads very soon. As I was expecting to move back to Chennai after a few years, I did not want to re-register at B'lore either. Then a friend told me of a loop-hole. The KN road tax can be paid with the existing registration, and the NOC / re-registration formalities can be completed within one year from that date. I paid it promptly and stuck a copy of the RTO receipt on my fairing. During roadside checks, I will be waved off as soon as they saw this receipt on the fairing.

Sometimes they will question about the date of payment and lack of re-registration, and I will piously say (in Kannada) that I was based and worked actually at Hosur, but had paid the Karnataka road tax as well because I had to frequently visit the Bangalore branch of my employer. They will wave me off with a smile! It was only half true - my company had a unit at Hosur, but I never even saw it once in those five years!:D

I still have the RC endorsement and original tax receipt. If I am posted back to Bangalore by any chance, I am sure the same ploy will work for another 5 years as well!

Pls go straight to the RTO - these things are often much simpler than what people (esp the middlemen / agents) make it out to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1684564)
Ha ha, you are correct! The bike was barely a few months old when I re-located to Bangalore. Had I got wind of the relocation, I would have waited and bought the bike at Bangalore. But those were the hey-days of Dr.Rajkumar abduction etc and TN registered vehicles were singled out for special treatment every time. A few colleagues even had their TN plates painted in Kannada and got away for a while!

I got tired of getting hauled up on the roads very soon. As I was expecting to move back to Chennai after a few years, I did not want to re-register at B'lore either. Then a friend told me of a loop-hole. The KN road tax can be paid with the existing registration, and the NOC / re-registration formalities can be completed within one year from that date. I paid it promptly and stuck a copy of the RTO receipt on my fairing. During roadside checks, I will be waved off as soon as they saw this receipt on the fairing.

Sometimes they will question about the date of payment and lack of re-registration, and I will piously say (in Kannada) that I was based and worked actually at Hosur, but had paid the Karnataka road tax as well because I had to frequently visit the Bangalore branch of my employer. They will wave me off with a smile! It was only half true - my company had a unit at Hosur, but I never even saw it once in those five years!:D

I still have the RC endorsement and original tax receipt. If I am posted back to Bangalore by any chance, I am sure the same ploy will work for another 5 years as well!

Quite ingenious of you, I must say.:D
But, is this technique fool-proof and can it be adopted in all States, as in is it univerally applicable to one and all ?

Will you be travelling often to Bangalore, and how often? Hint: Toll receipts :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rr_zen (Post 1684717)
Quite ingenious of you, I must say.:D
But, is this technique fool-proof and can it be adopted in all States, as in is it univerally applicable to one and all ?

It can certainly be done in almost any state if your home state border is within commuting distance, which Hosur certainly is from Bangalore. And it certainly helps if your vehicle is inexpensive and unremarkable as well. Same ploy can't work here for too long with a KA registered vehicle.

First of all, Thanks for the inputs,

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph03n!x (Post 1684852)
Will you be travelling often to Bangalore, and how often? Hint: Toll receipts :)

I thought of this idea but, it looks like i will not be traveling to Bangalore very often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 1684602)
Pls go straight to the RTO - these things are often much simpler than what people (esp the middlemen / agents) make it out to be.

This seems to be the best way to reduce spending more money, I will definitely think about this to reach RTO with no BRIBE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1684517)
It is Meenambakkam!

Yes Gansan, I should do it in Meenambakkam

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1684443)
Hey, TN 22 means somewhere around my area!

Also you will have to apply for and get a refund from KA 51 for the similar period.

Will we get the refund ?? I never heard from anyone that they got some money from Govt... (Wondering whether it will work) :)

NOC Form 28 need to be get singed from the Financier (service available only in selected branches, I have to go to bommanahalli).

Once the sign is done from the financier, then the application for NOC should be filed with RTO.

The RTO will intern send the application for police verification and then get it back before issuing the NOC, this will cost 2500 Rs for all other than getting a NOC from financier.

I think i should check directly for NOC and do the financier part myself.

If anyone sees that 2500 is costly and it can be done for any cheaper amount please let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trtraj (Post 1689963)
Will we get the refund ?? I never heard from anyone that they got some money from Govt... (Wondering whether it will work) :)

Ha ha! Remember the old proverb about the popcorn eaten by the elephant?:)

We can apply for it. That alone is in our hands. I know of several who applied, but heard of only two people who got a refund after quite a while from an RTO in Chennai, but can't remember which one!

BTW which place is KA 51? It is surely not Bangalore.