Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 08:49   #1
BHPian

All National Highways to charge toll tax

The government has decided to charge toll tax on every new stretch it builds on national highway - either lengthening, broadening or improving them - if the cost of doing so is more than 1 crore per km.

The catch: any good quality road cost that much.

The only saving grace is that successive toll tax booths have to be atleast 60km apart.

The transport ministry is busy redrafting the National Highways (Determination of the Rate and Collection) Rules to bring about this change which will be effective in another three years from now.

The rule had been made once before, in 1997. But public pressure saw the minimum cost for charging toll raised to Rs. 3 crore per km, within which few projects then fell.

SOURCE: HT
Old 25th January 2010, 09:10   #2
BHPian

this is insane ! However one really doesnt mind paying the toll if the money is actually used to maintain the "smoothness" on the highway. These days the roads on NH's have deteriorated so much that expats tend to ask us, " are these your countries National Highways? "
Old 25th January 2010, 09:17   #3
Team-BHP Support

If one of these toll booths come up in NH17 in Mangalore/Udupi district, I am sure it will torched. In fact they should be paying every vehicle that passes by NH-17, like a reverse toll or subsidy.
Old 25th January 2010, 09:19   #4
BANNED

I have never seen any highway to be maintained properly .When new they are fine but within a 6 months the roads are filled up with patches , utilities are non existent , and the wait to pay toll charges every few kms is just too irritiating .

Our government never utilizes money and uses money on waistful expenditure consider the BRT in Delhi for eg so no matter how much they charge the money spent is never truly utilized but only wasted .Goverment is second name of corruption .

MODS kindly remove if feel this is inappropriate .
This is all the more clear since we had to pay a lot under the table to get order from Delhi Metro (DMRC) inspite us getting order form contractor and our name in approved makes .The DMRC guy just said either pay or i will remove you from the job.

Regards
Old 25th January 2010, 09:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

the chennai bangalore stretch and more recently the chennai to trichi stretch are two routes imho where the toll is worth it. Though one might complain, the chennai trichi stretch i saw a phone every 2 kms, i also saw this All National Highways to charge toll tax-21012010261.jpg- before and after towns, forewarning drivers to be cautious.
All the tolll plazas are big, well built, clean toilets and have a rest room as well (where one might sit down and relax).

Personally, i think - if they are going to charge, then they should standardize it. Thus allowing travelers to plan in advance. Or they should start accepting credit cards! :P
madan80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 09:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If one of these toll booths come up in NH17 in Mangalore/Udupi district, I am sure it will torched. In fact they should be paying every vehicle that passes by NH-17, like a reverse toll or subsidy.
So right!!

And also, try driving from Bangalore to Mangalore, especially on the section between Sakleshpur and Nelyadi.. Even Land Rover will have tough time I guess
Old 25th January 2010, 10:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
So right!!

And also, try driving from Bangalore to Mangalore, especially on the section between Sakleshpur and Nelyadi.. Even Land Rover will have tough time I guess
I mean, on NH 48 from Bangalore to Mangalore...
Old 25th January 2010, 10:47   #8
BHPian

No issues on paying toll. I have following suggestions.
1. Make all toll naka with automatic toll system.
2. Do not accept toll in cash at all. People should able to buy pre-paid cards which should be swipe in instead cash transactions.
3. Minimum dist between two toll naka should be 100 Kms.
4. Put enough guide system giving info like - accident ahead, lane closed, traffic jam, speed guns showing speed of vehicles
5. Run radio system like US to tell about traffic info, weather info.
6. Build new hospitals for road accident victims, special ambulance for accident victims, Air ambulance
7. Camera system to monitor roads & connect them to Net
8. Check all drivers for alcohol & sleeping when they enter & exit roads
9. Put black box or CD system which records car/ bus speed thru the journey, this is deployed in Europe.
10. Check driving license, insurance & other docs, before vehicle passes toll naka ( after giving some sort of smart card, you don't this step)
11. Run road safety driving schools from this budget
12. Let people know how much money is collected every day thru selling pre-paid cards, how much given to vendors etc.
13. Check vehicle condition as well.
14. Keep toilets, hotels clean at road side. You may charge to use toilets, thats fine.

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 25th January 2010 at 10:48.
mrkanitkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 11:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I too would be part of that group !!!
Old 25th January 2010, 11:15   #10
BHPian

I wouldn't mind paying toll if mrkanitkar's exhaustive list gets implemented. . Additionally highways should be void of pot holes at all times.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

I don't mind paying a tax if it will result in proper maintenance of the highways. People in developed countries pay for the better services they enjoy.Why shouldn't we?.The Government should not bear these burdens alone.I understand the systemic corruption prevalent here should be eliminated too. But, doing something is better than doing nothing at all and it is up to us to force the change we want to see.

Last edited by nickatnite : 25th January 2010 at 11:25.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ha ha. I completely agree here.

OT:

Just after Kuloor bridge near Panambur they have created something akin to half constructed toll booth foundation!. people driving in night, especially bikers have fallen very badly due to this. its pathetic to see negligence by road construction company
Old 25th January 2010, 11:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

I will happily pay every single time. Provided they maintain standards like GVK has done in Jaipur-Kishangarh, or NH2, or NH1 Ambala-Karnal.

I only wish they had a tag which I could fit on my car and pay without waiting
Old 25th January 2010, 12:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
, I feel the goverment shoud be compensating all the vehicle owners in the twin district for the damges due to pathetic road conditions.

All the three so called National Highways NH17,NH13 and NH48 needs to be remaded as village roads, its just unfit to be called a National highway.

I think the Prime minister, Chief Minister and Transport & Infrastructure ministers along with all concerned authorities must travel once in a normal bus to know the actual facts.

Sitting in Aircondition offices, travelling by flights and annoucing such policies is just ridiculous.

Look at the below link, people have come to roads now.

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!

Last edited by kadri007 : 25th January 2010 at 12:04. Reason: removed font tags
Old 25th January 2010, 12:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
Additionally highways should be void of pot holes at all times.
And void of speed breakers too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks