Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2010, 11:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Can a car be rejected by potential buyers for being too 'stylish, hip & futuristic'?

Lot of people reject buying a particular car because it looks dull..ie for 'lack of style'.

After the Civic and the Chevy Beat came out ,I see people rejecting it because it was too stylish !!!!

So, generally speaking ..can a car be too stylish for someone's tastes? (like clothes for instance). Thoughts, opinions, examples?
Old 14th February 2010, 11:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

I'd agree to your statement!!

I've actually seen people who say that they fell in love with a particular car/color due to its looks etc.

but then bought a plane white car with plane looks!

Reason - They say "I love that car and all but I wouldn't have the time to look after it and I wont feel any regret it the one I bought was scratched instead of the car I love"!!!

Some even said that the more stylish the car looks, more vandals get attracted to it!!
and end up buying dirty colors etc.

Whats the point of the whole experience!
Old 14th February 2010, 11:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
After the Civic and the Chevy Beat came out ,I see people rejecting it because it was too stylish !!!!
When the Swift first came out, i heard a lot of people complaining about the same!

My parents called Swift ugly (mainly for its rear), and preferred the plain looking WagonR then. Now they call the Swift beautiful and call the Ritz ugly (mainly rear) and Beat (mainly side profile)!

Its all a matter of time, before people get used to the designs. Changes from Too stylish > stylish > beautiful/good looking > plain > boring.
Old 14th February 2010, 12:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure if stylish is the word I'd use but a car can be too loud in terms of looks. The Beat is a prime example of a car that shouts its presence. Some may not like that and may prefer understated elegance
Old 14th February 2010, 12:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

a very attractive/good looking car can attract the attention of unwelcome elements in society. Plus some people don't want to be seen as extravagant, and keep a low profile.

Personally, we had a lot of outstanding debts when we bought the Indica. If I'd bought a swift, our creditors would have been baying for my blood. On the other hand, I bought a taxi white indica, removed the turbo badge, and didnt wash it for 2 years till I paid off outstanding debts
Old 14th February 2010, 12:29   #6
BHPian

Upto this point most Indians would have prefered to have a stylish car but one that does not stand out too much from the crowd. Its the group mentality to go along with the crowd. And aslo the fact that they might get termed a "showoff" . There were always exceptions who like to get noticed, but not many .

But i think things are changing . The newer and younger indian middle class want to stand out . They want to get noticed .
Also the sense of style is evolving in india. People are taking a liking to cars like i20 and Beat .

Once there were flamboyant cars like Chevy and Plymouth on Indian roads in the 50s and 60s . People dint reject them cause of their over the top styling.
In fact they were status symbols then.

As the purchasing power increases along with people's self-confidence and as more and more Indians are exposed to the international car scene , they will become more discerning and more demanding. Car manufacturers will be jolted out of their complacence and will be forced to give us cars that are not hand me downs from their US or European markets, to keep there act intact.
Old 14th February 2010, 12:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
When the Swift first came out, i heard a lot of people complaining about the same!

My parents called Swift ugly (mainly for its rear), and preferred the plain looking WagonR then. Now they call the Swift beautiful and call the Ritz ugly (mainly rear) and Beat (mainly side profile)!

Its all a matter of time, before people get used to the designs. Changes from Too stylish > stylish > beautiful/good looking > plain > boring.
ya it was kind of surprising how quickly the people s perception of swift changed.when swift was launched i was damn sure that i wont buy that ugly tailed car but now i am a happy owner since 2 years!
i think that there is also a superstitious element attached with "too" stylish cars in india.najar lag jaegi!
Old 14th February 2010, 12:54   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's a mass market out there and includes people from all walks of life. Thus, an aggressive style will never click with everyone. Toyota intentionally designs conservative cars that please all and excite none. Mercedes used to favour conservative designs, but changed to a futuristic philosophy in the wake of competition (from a segment lower, I might add).

That said, today's cars are getting increasingly similar in terms of the actual product. That is to say, most cars from a segment have about the same power, efficiency, space, reliability and trim level. It is the styling of the car that is emerging as one of the most substantial differentiators. Consider the Beat : Entering what is a crowded market place, it's key differentiator is the funky look.
Old 14th February 2010, 13:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

For a mass market car,its best not to go overboard with the styling,or else it maybe too loud and overwhelming for some,especially the elder folk.Hence most manufacturers decide to play it safe.

Its good to be stylish,but anything in excess is bad.And too stylish doesn't necessarily mean good.And you also end up throwing practicality out of the window.
Old 14th February 2010, 13:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

After the Indian junta has accepted the Swift, wouldn't it be fair to say that we are a market that loves funky cars. Obviously any design wouldn't please 100% of the people. The Beat Vs Figo would be really interesting according to me.
Old 14th February 2010, 15:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I heard lot of people saying the same about recently launched BEAT.
Old 14th February 2010, 17:43   #12
Team-BHP Support

I am yet to see a car which has a perfect symphony of

beauty (looks/interiors) and brains (engine) and brawn (power).

Again, every one has his own views on this topic, but, mostly people buy a vehicle, which appeals to their practicality. If looks, come in as an added bonus, then so be it.

However I guess the start though is the other way. First find a good looking car; then decide on its practicality. If it appeals, then re-look at its "looks". If its not practical, reject it outright.

Again the definition of practicality differs from person to person.
Old 14th February 2010, 18:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

In India, it could. People like it if things are "conventional" or "predictable", I guess ! Personally, I like new-age designs rather than conventional, though.

Last edited by theMAG : 14th February 2010 at 18:41.
Old 14th February 2010, 18:48   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
For a mass market car,its best not to go overboard with the styling,or else it maybe too loud and overwhelming for some,especially the elder folk.Hence most manufacturers decide to play it safe.
I'd disagree here. Take the case of the Beat : Chevy needed that funky styling to differentiate the Beat in the crowded segment. Look what happened to the "completely safe" please all and excite none UVA? The biggest challenge of the Figo, with its conservative styling, will be to avoid getting lost in the space.

Of course, you must play it safe when you are already the segment leader. Thus, Toyota will continue to sell clean clothed & conservative Innovas and Corollas, in India as well as other parts of the world. But the key differentiator is : WHEN your product is already the market leader, that's when you don't want to polarise opinion on your car.
Old 14th February 2010, 19:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd disagree here. Take the case of the Beat : Chevy needed that funky styling to differentiate the Beat in the crowded segment. Look what happened to the "completely safe" please all and excite none UVA? The biggest challenge of the Figo, with its conservative styling, will be to avoid getting lost in the space.
Yes,but lets see if the Beat lives up to its expectations.It may not strike a chord with all,due to its funkiness.While U-VA went down due to its blandness,the Beat might just go down for being "too stylish"!(though I hope that doesn't happen for GM's sake)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks