Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 08:59   #46
BHPian

The main reason (atleast according to me) is that the idiots who drive dont do so responsibly.

And when you have such a powerful car, the consequences are disastrous. So not just a Verna but whatever car you own, please learn to handle the car properly and dont put yours or tohers lives at risk just because you cant handle a powerful car.

Why should anyone blame Hyundai for making a decent powerful car if the people who buy it cant control it. Maybe they should have a test according to the car's power and torque before selling it
Old 16th February 2010, 09:00   #47
Team-BHP Support

Braking figures vis a vis with its competitors (distance and timings) should be a good indicator of Verna's braking prowess or lack of it

What i presume from other's response is that Verna has truly great performance(More performance is never enough:}) and maybe not very great chassis and brake set-up(compared to its rivals) combined with a nut* behind the wheel which causes accidents

*no Bhpian i hope has crashed his Verna

agree with StreetAddict, it was/is a question to Verna owners about what they feel
Old 16th February 2010, 09:23   #48
BANNED

I do agree that the handling of the Verna is bad. Once you drive the car for a while you learn it's limitations and are able to drive without any problem. But it still does not change the fact that the car is a bad handler. Though ABS is good, it's much better to have better handling and ABS just in case.
Old 16th February 2010, 09:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I have seen few crashed Verna CRDi. But I'll blame the driver for these than the car. One should know the positives and negatives of his car and handle the same accordingly. Just see the way Vernas are driven, I get scarred when I see a verna in my RV mirror on Bangalore elevated road!!
Old 16th February 2010, 10:31   #50
BHPian

I believe the notion Sid has with respect to Verna is due to profile of the buyer of Verna and not the car per se. Hyundai never advertised the fact that thos is a car for the mileage concious. It advertised the power and the buyers who bought knowing it delivers them. Now these buyers are usually the young yuppie crowd starved of cars giving such power/torque in the price range. (exclude ANHC here! it is only ayear old and expensive / petrol. Verna gives more bang for the buck) Now naturally these drivers prefer to thrash their cars eventhough the handling is not that great. But then you would not find such drivers behind a Ford Fiesta or a Dzire or a Indigo. So it is wrong to blame the car here. I have driven quite a few cars and I found the brakes of Verna good (I am happy that it has discs all round). I dont believe all the cars shown in Sid's post were due to the lack of brakes. If there was anything inadequete it would be lack of common sense and a overdose of speeds and confidence.
Old 16th February 2010, 10:51   #51
BHPian

Agreed,Hyundai removed the disc brakes on the rear and doesnt even give Airbags as an option on the Verna.

But does having Airbags \ ABS etc give people the license to do insane speeds on our roads?

At a time when companies were launching 68bhp diesel engines for us,Hyundai gave us a true performance diesel.Again when you have more power in your disposal you need to have more reponsibility as well.

I really dont know who to blame on this - Is it Hyundai for giving a true performance engine or the buyer's who are in a mad rush to meet their makers?
Old 16th February 2010, 11:16   #52
BHPian

I drive a NHC, so the first time I drove a friends Verna D (ABS), it was bit of a scare. But once you get used to it, its ok.
But the initial drive was really scary. I think this is the point! This car has power (not uncontrollable by any standards), but is not built for it.
Blame for any accident rests with the driver first, but you cannot discount the car too. But with our level of traffic manners, I think you can blame Pakistan too!
Old 16th February 2010, 11:36   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

That made you question that the structural integrity?. Dude, in any modern car the A-pillar is DESIGNED to deform in the event of an accident, so as to absorb the impact and not pass it on to the passenger shell!

There's a branch of reporting called yellow journalism. Put together a few sensational photos, then make a juicy conclusion about it. I'm off collecting crashed Indicab pics from tomorrow!
I am not quoting you everywhere but for the 2 sections as above as I thought it necessary to comment here while monitoring the thread.

About the A-Pillar collapse, can you really provide some details as to where you got that data from? If the A-pillar collapses the whole roof comes down on the occupants like a thatched hut. It is NOT at all the desired effect. No car manufacturer ever manufactures a car whose A-Pillar will collapse on every accident in the name of crumple zones. Yes, crumple zones is the word for the effect you are talking about but the A-Pillar is NOT and I again say NOT supposed to be a crumple zone since that supports the roof and also provides vital strength to the chassis.

About your last para. Please start toning down. You have started getting personal now and are fast acquiring a tenor in this thread which we would rather not see. You may own a Verna and think the world of it. But that does not provide you any licenses to just start taking things so personally. Please start using facts, figures and arguments to support your judgement but not the "if you are not with me then you are my enemy" attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post

@mods - very sad that you guys allow lousy car bashing threads like this, and dont wake up to more broader topics such as teaching people how to handle their cars at "2k rpm".
And that holds for you as well sir. You are getting into a difficult territory there. You need not tell moderators on how they need to act. You have a problem? Be our guest and report it. If there is a merit to it we will act.

By the way, what gives you an idea that this is a "lousy car bashing thread" as you call it? The thread owner has observed something which he has posted here and sought the opinion of the owners of the said make of cars. It is a question that has been thrown at the members in general and to the owners in particular. The answer to which should involve some facts, figures and your arguments for or against it and a final wrapping line like "I agree with you" or else "I do not think I agree to your POV". Start acting a little more mature please. Everything does not need to become a rabble-rouser, troubled thread of pro and anti teams slugging it our.

So please... tone down guys. Just provide your objective views. Help us keep the threads clean.That ways, you will also like to come back and read the thread again in future.

Last edited by Zappo : 16th February 2010 at 11:55.
Old 16th February 2010, 11:57   #54
BHPian

Guys we are not talking about insane speeds here...130-140 is not insane by any standards. We have at least 3 Verna owners comment on this thread saying they do not feel confident at 120+ speeds. Request all to check the Swift Dezire, Linea, Punto, I20 & Fiesta threads...I have never seen the car owners so unsure about their cars at such speeds.
But wait, i hear someone say its the driver's fault all the time??? YEAH YEAH...its the driver's fault he spent 8 lacs on a car that doesnt have adequate brakes, nor the correct aerodynamics(read someone say his car felt like it wud take off at speeds above 130), nor airbags, which can at least save your life in case nothing else works, and most of all, a chassis thats not built to take up all this power???
I agree we must all drive responsibly and know our limitations but if a car is not good enough for its own engine how the hell am i supposed to control it???
The fact is that out of all the cars in its segment and also some from its lower one, including Swift Dezire, Linea, Punto, I20, Fiesta, ANHC, it has the least confidence inspiring Brakes and probably the most powerful engine, and hence its the worst marriage of power with safety...
Old 16th February 2010, 12:16   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma123 View Post
Guys we are not talking about insane speeds here...130-140 is not insane by any standards. We have at least 3 Verna owners comment on this thread saying they do not feel confident at 120+ speeds. Request all to check the Swift Dezire, Linea, Punto, I20 & Fiesta threads...I have never seen the car owners so unsure about their cars at such speeds.
But wait, i hear someone say its the driver's fault all the time??? YEAH YEAH...its the driver's fault he spent 8 lacs on a car that doesnt have adequate brakes, nor the correct aerodynamics(read someone say his car felt like it wud take off at speeds above 130), nor airbags, which can at least save your life in case nothing else works, and most of all, a chassis thats not built to take up all this power???
I agree we must all drive responsibly and know our limitations but if a car is not good enough for its own engine how the hell am i supposed to control it???
The fact is that out of all the cars in its segment and also some from its lower one, including Swift Dezire, Linea, Punto, I20, Fiesta, ANHC, it has the least confidence inspiring Brakes and probably the most powerful engine, and hence its the worst marriage of power with safety...
You have answered your own question. If the car doesn't have a good chassis or brakes or whatever, it's not like it's the only choice you have. You are spoilt for choice in the segment. Get another car which you feel confident about. Or buy the car and accept the compromise.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:20   #56
BHPian

I feel both the Driver and Hyundai is responsible.say if the car is driven at speeds more than 120 which might cause issues then Hyundai should clearly inform the customer that this car is capable of doing only 120KM/HR if you go beyond that speed car might lose control. The driver also should know the limits of the car and drive within the limits.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:21   #57
BHPian

Update ...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Everybody knows that the Verna is a really bad handler. Add to that, the skinny tyres and lack of ABS as standard. Call that a concoction for disaster.
Guyz... ABS is standard accross Verna range since January 2009...
Heylo... is someone interested in putting up the real facts...

Also, Sidindica, better if you also report the no of casualties in these accidents... one of my closest friends had an accident recently on Greater Noida Expressway.. two guyz going in a Verna hit the dividor while negotiating a sharp turn to avoid broke down truck.. Co passenger came out scratchless.. and the driver got two stiches on the nose..thats it.
The car is a total loss. The accident happened due to poor visibility...
At the end of the day.. the owner is safe. End of the story.
And which car.. by the way, comes with a life safety certificate..? What about the BMW hit and run cases.. the drivers are safe but what about the people who died on the road...

At the end of the day, sensible driving is the key, lets not reinvent the wheel here..!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th February 2010 at 16:06. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 16th February 2010, 12:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

What kind of logic is this ?

All my life I have only seen Indicas crashed not even a single Verna - according to me the Indica is a much more dangerous vehicle.

I am going to start a thread on the Dangerous Indica - all of you please reply there.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Braking performance :

80-0kmph
Verna VGT - 31.8m - 2.72secs
Verna 1.6 - 34.9m - 3.08secs

100-0
Verna VGT - 51.1m - 3.88secs
Verna 1.6 - 51.2m - 3.76secs

Shan2nu
Old 16th February 2010, 12:39   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember hearing about accidents early on after its launch, although I'm not sure if it was anyone's fault. The folks driving the car werent used to the sudden turbo spool and the rush of power from some 1500-1800 rpm (I forget) and that would cause them to lose control of the car in city traffic.

That said, Hyundai needs to focus more on making its cars driver-oriented once awhile.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks