Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 10:16   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Pre-Booking VIP/Fancy Regn No from RTO?

Have been told that one can get a pre-allotted number few months before actual delivery/regn of a car. What is the process for acquiring such a number in advance and how long is it valid?
We would be getting a new car within the next 2 months hence I would like to get the number pre-alloted. This probably would work out cheaper as during the time to regn the RTO agents often make a quick buck due to the urgency. As is the number is never given by just the "official receipt" value. I hate having to pay a bribe for something that already has a set so called MRP. In my case perhaps contacting the thane RTO officer directly would help eliminate the bribe ? Any email address that I can write to a higher RTO authority?

Link with pricing: http://www.mahatranscom.in/viplist.aspx

Last edited by Sahil : 19th February 2010 at 10:33.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2010, 19:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wicked link, that's the first time I am actually seeing an official RTO price list for VIP numbers. I'm willing to bet that some of them are resold for a premium eventually.

My suggestion : Call the RTO or go down yourself when you have the chance. I have been pleasantly surprised at the change in attitude at the Tardeo RTO. Have met quite a number of helpful officers. Then, come back and update us with the procedure

Related thread : VIP Numbers
Old 19th February 2010, 19:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes in Maharashtra that can be done before the car's/ bike's delivery or even booking.Once you pay for the number you get a receipt and the number is blocked for anyone else.The rules say that the number must be used for registration within six months from the date of booking.So you just don't know -if there is a strike in the company or if there is some topsy-turvy in the delivery schedule you lose that booked number on the 181st day.
To book a current series number these rates apply. To book some number from a future series one has to pay Rs 25,000 extra apart from the premium.
The best thing is that middlemen do not pocket the money but it goes to the treasury.And the devil here is that there are malpractices when there is a lot of demand for some number that is not available and there are more than one claimant. Then black money plays a role or also influence from higher ups come into play all for a number.
Old 19th February 2010, 20:47   #4
BHPian

Hey I just did this process for my bike last month. Andheri RTO.

The process is really simple, but the way it is handled is a pain. If the number u like is not in the VIP list you can get them for damn cheap. Also you can go through a broker and pay some fees to him. If you use broker, the chance of you getting the number is high. Anyway if you are looking for andheri RTO, the guy you have to call for checking the number is Mr. Giri. he is the head clerk there.

The procedure is as follows.

1. See the number you want
2. Check which series is going on. The max you can jump is 3000 numbers. If you want say number in a new series, you have to check daily till they open it.
3. Fill a form that is marathi (surprised that no english form is available)
4. Get it signed by 4 officers
5. pay the amount depending on the number chosen
6. They give a receipt with number written only
7. Generally I was told that they will inform if someone else applied for the same number.
8. if 2+ ppl apply it will go for auction which happen the same day at 5:30 pm
9. Check the next morning.
10. The numbers are valid only for a month only. If no vehicle is registered by then you will have to forfeit your money. and the number reenters the system

By the way 369 the number I blocked in Mumbai, I got it for 2,000 bucks. The same number in Hyderabad is 20,000 (cool 10 times the price) and the chance of it going for auction there is also very high. Luckyyyyy

Happy Hunting

Last edited by indian21r : 19th February 2010 at 20:49.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2010, 11:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

indian21r- Did you have to pay anything under the table? Did you use an agent?

GTO- I have had this pricing list on paper for a while, given by my RTO agent. I just called the thane RTO and confirmed that it indeed is valid only for 30 days hence I rather wait to get a confirmed delivery date.

I'm looking to get a thousand series number, it's funny but the link I posted has every number in the '000 series besides 3000 ?!?

Last edited by Sahil : 20th February 2010 at 11:26.
Old 20th February 2010, 11:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

In Karnataka the number is valid for 90 days or 3 months.

I booked my number 2 months before delivery of the car. They gave me a receipt which mentioned that the regn. number will be blocked for 90 days and I should pay
the fees before 90 days to ensure allotment.

Once I got the car went and paid the fees.
Old 20th February 2010, 11:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
In Karnataka the number is valid for 90 days or 3 months.

I booked my number 2 months before delivery of the car. They gave me a receipt which mentioned that the regn. number will be blocked for 90 days and I should pay
the fees before 90 days to ensure allotment.

Once I got the car went and paid the fees.
So you can get the number blocked without paying any fee ?!

If so RTO agents there would begin to block every possible VIP number and sell it for a higher premium.
Old 20th February 2010, 11:45   #8
BHPian

and what isthe present condition in national capital ???
Old 20th February 2010, 11:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
So you can get the number blocked without paying any fee ?!

If so RTO agents there would begin to block every possible VIP number and sell it for a higher premium.
Just checked the documents. No I had to pay in advance and got a receipt which read paid Rs.6,000 towards advance registration booking.

I booked the number in June 09 and took the car only in August.

Luckily the number I wanted was available in current series and did not have to open new series else cost is Rs.22K i think.

Ofcourse from march 2010 the rates have shot up.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
indian21r- Did you have to pay anything under the table? Did you use an agent?

GTO- I have had this pricing list on paper for a while, given by my RTO agent. I just called the thane RTO and confirmed that it indeed is valid only for 30 days hence I rather wait to get a confirmed delivery date.

I'm looking to get a thousand series number, it's funny but the link I posted has every number in the '000 series besides 3000 ?!?
Nope no bribes. I did the process on my own. I had to take a leave though.
if the number is not there in the series then it means it is a open number. All you have to do is pay the minimum amount and get it.

Get the delivery date confirmed and only then block it. Else you will have to forfeit the amount.
Old 15th January 2016, 02:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-Booking VIP/Fancy Regn No from RTO?

Just updating an old thread. Below are the new revised choice number rates for Maharashtra for everyone's reference.

http://mahatranscom.in/pdf/VIP%20NO2015.pdf
Old 29th January 2016, 12:55   #12
BHPian

Completed this process for my yet to be delivered 2 wheeler in Thane. following are the easy steps. This is done at the old RTO office at Jambli naka and not at the new one.

1. Collect choice number form outside the gate for 2 rs.
2. Fill up the details and visit the 1st floor office(timings 10.30 AM to 2.30 PM ) and submit your form.
3. Collect the signed form from the same office after 3 PM and pay the fees at either of the counters - 18, 26 or 39 and collect the receipt. Receipt is valid for 30 days.
4. Cash and DD are accepted, but not a combination. i had carried a DD for 3000 rs as someone from the RTO had told me that figure for the fees. however the actual amount was 4000 and had to run to the ATM opposite the gate and make the payment.

Over all the process is really simple for which the agents will charge you anything from INR 1500 to INR 3000.

Hope this is helpful

Last edited by Ameya_G : 29th January 2016 at 12:57. Reason: corrected point #3
Ameya_G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 14:26   #13
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread for posting, but how is this whole License plate number thing being handled in Delhi? Considering everyone would be trying to atleast pick the last digit based on their odd-even spread of cars..
Is the RTO still entertaining?
Old 3rd February 2016, 01:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameya_G View Post
Completed this process for my yet to be delivered 2 wheeler in Thane. following are the easy steps. This is done at the old RTO office at Jambli naka and not at the new one.

1. Collect choice number form outside the gate for 2 rs.
2. Fill up the details and visit the 1st floor office(timings 10.30 AM to 2.30 PM ) and submit your form.
3. Collect the signed form from the same office after 3 PM and pay the fees at either of the counters - 18, 26 or 39 and collect the receipt. Receipt is valid for 30 days.
4. Cash and DD are accepted, but not a combination. i had carried a DD for 3000 rs as someone from the RTO had told me that figure for the fees. however the actual amount was 4000 and had to run to the ATM opposite the gate and make the payment.

Over all the process is really simple for which the agents will charge you anything from INR 1500 to INR 3000.

Hope this is helpful
Thanks for letting us know your experience. A quick question though, are there long queues at any of the counters and do the officers sign the form without any "chai paani".

My only personal experience with the tardeo rto was way back in 1991, when i had to spend a whole day there to get a license even after paying bribes, and after that ive always used an agent for any RTO related matters.

Also do you need to submit any documents? like copies of address proof, license etc?

Oh and last question if you used the rto agent of your car dealer how much more money would you have ended paying?

Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 13:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Thanks for letting us know your experience. A quick question though, are there long queues at any of the counters and do the officers sign the form without any "chai paani".

My only personal experience with the tardeo rto was way back in 1991, when i had to spend a whole day there to get a license even after paying bribes, and after that ive always used an agent for any RTO related matters.

Also do you need to submit any documents? like copies of address proof, license etc?

Oh and last question if you used the rto agent of your car dealer how much more money would you have ended paying?

Thanks
Will try to answer in bullets since there are multiple questions

1. The lines were not that long - takes a bit longer because the receipt is printed using the old fashioned dot matrix printer. which takes time. I think there were not more than 10 people in the line at any given time. The fees can be paid at 2-3 different counters which helps dissipate the crowd. Also the officers hand over the forms one by one to the applicants who are then told to go to the counters for payment of fees. Again this helps in staggering the crowd at the windows.

2. No chai - no paani You get a receipt for the exact amount you are asked to pay. Also - i think payment above 15000 needs to be through Demand draft. I am not too sure about this and someone needs to confirm.

3. Yes. address and photo id proof. I submitted a copy of my passport.

4. I paid 4000 for the choice number - the RTO agent was asking for Rs 5500. Strangely, there were some people are the RTO who were paying the agents for the procedure, who were charging a handsome 3000 for this. If you have taken the pain to come to RTO with your documents, how difficult it is to submit the documents and pay the fees.

Hope i have answered your queries satisfactorily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks