Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 12:52   #31
BHPian

It is only the people who are getting the for all these kinds of zero future vision.

If this kind of slow progress continous soon other states will overtake.

Is govt trying to control vehicle sale by increasing the tax?
let them first fix the system at RTO before increasing any more tax. Sales TAX, Central TAX, VAT TAX, luxury TAX, TAX TAX TAX everywhere ,it is shame that people are getting taxed for everything and govt is not looking to curb irregularities at RTO first which is the known place for irregularities, they should first pat on their back that they fixed the system such that no irregularities or harrasment to people at RTO before raising any TAX, are they trying to put people through pre-independence era...
Old 6th March 2010, 12:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
KA govt steadily .....over our temptations for instant gratification.
+1 to that.
I totally agree with you. Being a software professional I have seen a disturbing trend of financial irresponsibility. People are willing to spend no matter what and 90% of these people are from software industry. What software professionals fail to grasp is that the job is not permanent(and hence the higher salary vs govt salary), no matter what position one holds. And hence need to save is even more important (And face it guys: If you think Tax saving mutual funds and PF contributions are your savings then you are heading for a financial disaster). A reality which is brought painfully up by periodic recessions. Worse is that the lessons are forgotten as soon recession is over. Government is just doing what landlords, restaurants, builders, schools(donation fees) etc etc are doing.

The worse sufferers in Bangalore are I guess people in government jobs. My friend joined HAL and was not given Govt Quarters to stay cause of accommodation shortages. He had to live in rented house and the HRA from govt was not good enough to cover the rent. He says that now a days in HAL getting posted in Bangalore leads to a panic attack!!!!!

Moral of the story: Mind your finances. Respect money. You cant change people or their habits . But at least you will be in a better financial position (Yes it is possible no matter how much they tax you).

OT: Love marriages are common in S/W industry and in 90% of cases I have seen guys short on cash. A lot of them take loans for Marriage!!!
Old 6th March 2010, 12:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
It is only the people who are getting the for all these kinds of zero future vision.

let them first fix the system at RTO before increasing any more tax. Sales TAX, Central TAX, VAT TAX, luxury TAX, TAX TAX TAX everywhere ,it is shame that people are getting taxed for everything and govt is not looking to curb irregularities at RTO first which is the known place for irregularities, they should first pat on their back that they fixed the system such that no irregularities or harrasment to people at RTO before raising any TAX, are they trying to put people through pre-independence era...
Agreed, lets all say no to the use of middlemen which will save a lot of money for ourselves.
Lets also move out of this state to save taxes.

I pity the people living in other cities in the state. They suffer since Bengaluru needs to get 23 hrs of power, flyovers, tiled footpaths, AC buses etc.,
Old 6th March 2010, 13:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post

The statistics tells a different story. People from all across the country are coming to Bangalore to settle in - BLR's net influx of migrants in positive over last 15 years. This indicates that Bangalore (KA) is still much ahead of the rest in employment opportunity and the overall quality of life.

No govt anywhere in the world ever impose any tax to reduce consumption. Cigarettes are not taxed highly because govt wanted smokers to quit - it is taxed highly because it is difficult to quit smoking and no one will quit it for high tax rate at least. So govt just take advantage of this plain truth. Note that bidis are not taxed - beacuse bidis are consumed by the poor "voters" (the real customers of any govt). Does it mean that govt are concerned about rich's health and ignoring that of poor ?

If KA govt wanted to decongest roads of private vehicles, then the most effective way of doing that would have been to raise the entry barrier - meaning it would be very difficult to buy even the cheapest vehicle (say bike). But is that happening ? Car taxes are like income taxes - higher the price, higher the tax rate. What makes more congestion - 60 bikes or one Merc C-class ? One Merc C-class pays more tax than 60 bikes combined. Congestion theory doesn't hold water here.
Old 6th March 2010, 13:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Phew, I somehow managed to get my new car at the pre-budget rate. Else I would have ended up spending about 40k more...
Old 6th March 2010, 14:12   #36
BHPian

It seems baffling that for every new car we buy in bangalore we spend almost 30% of its take home cost is made of various taxes. Central excise - 10%, State VAT 5%, State LTT - 13%.
Old 6th March 2010, 16:52   #37
BHPian

I was actually in the market to buy a new Innova and was waiting for a few months for the finances to shape up. Now it looks like I will never buy it.

Car prices were already sky high in KA. The new taxes, both state and central, now add at least 5% more to the already high price. Thats 70K more for the Innova. I haven't even bothered to call the dealer yet.

However on the bright side, I think this may be a good time to buy a used car. We get the double benefit of the low prices and the low taxes 5 years ago, plus add depreciation on top!
Old 6th March 2010, 21:56   #38
BHPian

I was about to buy a Punto MJD, though I was a bit worried about the 14.3%(Including Cess) prebudget tax. Now after the budget the only option left out for me is to buy it from Kerala there tax is only 6% and use it Bangalore.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
I was about to buy a Punto MJD, though I was a bit worried about the 14.3%(Including Cess) prebudget tax. Now after the budget the only option left out for me is to buy it from Kerala there tax is only 6% and use it Bangalore.
Are you sure you want to do that? I have a MH registered 1997 Maruti 800 and I had to shell out a tidy sum as LTT 5-6 years ago. I haven't changed the number plate yet, so I am being extra careful this month and traveling by bus as the RTO is on a drive this month for out-of-state vehicles.

Once they stop you, it would depend on your individual personality (quick thinking, luck, etc) to get out of there. In my case they just took my RC book and asked me to come to the office the next day.
Old 7th March 2010, 23:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

I have a question
the slabs here for example for cars up to 20 percent is 17 percent right??
is that on the ex showroom price or the on road price?

nevertheless take for example the toyota fortuner.
it costs around 20 lacs in goa and in karnataka a whopping 4 lacs more.
So any car purchased in karnataka definitely has much more value(by value i dont mean value for money but rather people have to work harder to get their cars here) than purchased anywhere else in india.
thanks to this ridiculous tax slabs expect people buying cars from other states such as goa etc.
Another thing that people are missing out here is the slapping of a 500 bucks toll for entry of heavy vehicles.
this in addition to the already corrupt police will lead to heavy losses to the truckers union.

I think the government(center)has to step in to bring in centralized taxes , enough is enough with each state trying to make its own policies and tax revisions.

Last edited by vinaydas : 7th March 2010 at 23:40.
Old 8th March 2010, 00:06   #41
BHPian

while this is bad for the first time buyers, but hope it does help in bringing down the number of cars in over congested city.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
I think the government(center)has to step in to bring in centralized taxes , enough is enough with each state trying to make its own policies and tax revisions.
Agree. It is puzzling why do we have different taxes in different states. On top of this, traffic police in each state harrass out station vehicles in the name of NOC etc.

National integration, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Now after the budget the only option left out for me is to buy it from Kerala there tax is only 6% and use it Bangalore.
Think twice before doing that. KL registration vehicles have been and still are easy targets for babus in traffic police to meet their month end needs.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:31   #43
BHPian

nowwhat/sbraj,

That was the only reason I wanted to buy it in Bangalore, though a punto is cheaper by 50K in kerala. But with VAT and LTT increase this should be aound 70K!. I used to do frequent trips to kerala, I mean at least once in a quarter, I will have petrol bills, toll tickets, service bills etc. always with me. Even though my WagonR is KA registered I usually get it serviced in my home town.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks