Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 17:34   #1
BHPian

Mobile Steam Carwash - What is it?

This morning on my way to office, I saw two maruti vans (read omnis) zooming off in the opposite lane. What caught my attention was the bold thick stip running around the body with "Mobile Steam Carwash" written all over it.

Does anyone have any idea as to what it could be or what is it? Is it a car wash company or something because I remember being a customer to a car-wash company "IWashYourCar" running their operations in and around Indirapuram Ghaziabad around 5 years ago?
Old 19th March 2010, 18:17   #2
BHPian

just got this after a search

Clean By Steam

Though the site itself is from US, but should assist in understanding.

But, is it good to clean the car with steam? I mean is hot temperature good for colours?
Old 19th March 2010, 19:06   #3
BHPian

@raghu

I had googled it before posting it here and did visit the site you mentioned. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is its Indian Context.

Any idea folks?
Old 20th March 2010, 12:17   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I've only heard of steam cleaning for the interiors & engine bay. For the exteriors, I think I'll stick with traditional approaches.

Some related posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traman View Post
Steam cleaning is the method that most professional workshops would use to clean your bay. Its hot steam that essentially cleanses most of your parts. High pressure water would ruin your coilpacks and thats not a pretty thing to happen. Ask around for someone who can perform a steam clean and you should be just fine. That might cost you quite a bit though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Hi guys

Just came across this website which does a lot of cleaning / maintainence of cars. Seems to have a long list of known clients, anyways... looks expensive, has anyone tried this one out... Steam Cleaning of Car Interiors in India, Car Seat Cleaning in Mumbai, Car Seat Cleaning in India, Car Shampooing in Mumbai, Car Polishing in Mumbai, Car Polishing in India, Car Detailing in Mumbai, Car Detailing in India, Auto Detailing in Mumbai, A

Keep us posted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan5678 View Post
hello friends,
This was my second visit to carz spa,but this time i took my dad s ikon,for steam wash and wax with addons like shampoo and tyre polish,i even got the glass antiglare treatment,total cost Rs 1850.wash and wax 350,shampoo rs 100,tyre polish rs 100,antiglare treatment rs 1300.so the results:very good,glass is clearer look good as new,wiper marks has gone,havent driven in the night yet,lets hope for the best.steam wash is only done for door beadings and ac blower ,i dont know what shampoo they use,after drying the car they apply meguiars synthetic sealant 2.0 with a buffer,and leave it for a while,then for all plastic,rubber ,and tyres they use meguairs protectant,they usually dont do cleaning of mats and vaccum of interiors ,but i requested them to do.the cleaning of ac ducts was complimentary,actually when i took my alto they didnt wax my car ,and i had paid for wash and wax ,but when i saw them do for ikon ,i asked one the guys why he didnt do it to my alto,he answered telling the manager told only wash,so i told next time they have to do a free service,so overrall its worth ,only thing i dont like is the rates for shampoo and tyre dressing,i had a huge scratch on my boot ,they told they can reduce the visibility but cant remove it completely.all the members are trained and use meguairs.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:58   #5
BHPian

Hi GTO,

Thank you for the post. I think I got it now. Looks like the vehicles I spotted were from a car cleaning workshop and not a standalone carwash company.
Old 29th February 2012, 22:39   #6
BHPian

Re: Mobile Steam Carwash - What is it?

Sorry to be reviving an old thread. But got my car pampered with Steam Jet Wash couple of days back. Initially one of my neighbor was getting it done for his car, impressed with the quality, I later approached and got it done for my Swift as well. I took about 50 minutes, 10 litres of water (thats what was told to me by the Vendor about the consumption) and costed INR 300/- (for hatchbacks) per wash.

The water, power for the motor is by portable genset, all fitted into a Maruti Van and there were three people working + their manager to supervise.

Pros:

-At your doorstep
-Water & Power is by vendor
-Eco friendly (? takes about 10 litres per car per wash)
-No mess

Cons:
-Any side effects of Hot Steam (?)
-Genset sound (negligible but still...)

Here are some pics.
Mobile Steam Carwash - What is it?-for_tbhp.jpg

Mobile Steam Carwash - What is it?-for_tbhp2.jpg

Mobile Steam Carwash - What is it?-for_tbhp3.jpg

Mobile Steam Carwash - What is it?-for_tbhp4.jpg
pranxter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 14:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranxter View Post
Sorry to be reviving an old thread. But got my car pampered with Steam Jet Wash couple of days back. Initially one of my neighbor was getting it done for his car, impressed with the quality, I later approached and got it done for my Swift as well. I took about 50 minutes, 10 litres of water (thats what was told to me by the Vendor about the consumption) and costed INR 300/- (for hatchbacks) per wash.
pranxter,

mind sharing your opinion after the steam wash, or u think it's just another gimmick?
Old 8th March 2012, 15:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
pranxter,

mind sharing your opinion after the steam wash, or u think it's just another gimmick?
I found it satisfactory. It has its advantages:
  • The wash quality was good.
  • A lot less messy as its only the steam jet and hence less amount of water is used and spilled.
  • Some difficult to access areas could be reached as the gun/handle is portable.
  • Since its done at my doorstep, I could schedule it at my own time. And they bring their own water too.
My only concern is if I get this done periodically, would be any side effects because of 'hot steam' to the paint and other parts.
pranxter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 16:47   #9
BHPian

No harm to the paint. Most of the paints today have exceptional fastness to heat and light while steam doesn't pose any threat to them whatsoever.
1-Testosterone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 17:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

This ad is the one which is shown on TV for months, just saw this thread and thought of sharing the video. Most of us might already know this, it is also available in India.

Old 8th March 2012, 18:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Steam-wash is sort of a new entrant in Value added service market.

One of the main benefit apart from others already stated by others, is that steam can take care of greasy elements which tends to get accumulated in cavities like keyhole etc.

Though the machine used by these mobile vans seems to be very hand and small, I have seen two different machines of steam wash and both were pretty big.
Old 8th March 2012, 19:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

how do they clean under the car and wheel wells ?. Radiator wash ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks