Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 18:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukeshs View Post
Maruti has been seeing sales chart of Swift for 5 yrs now. I dont buy the argument that they still cant predict sales figure to maintain an inventory for quicker deliveries. Maruti have the biggest product portfolio and highest sales figure, if they cant manage it who can?
It's very easy to say that, compared to actually putting it in practice. In today's world, you have got so many new products and models being launched, you just cannot be sure the Swift will continue selling the same as it sold last month or last year. They have to produce against a forecast, which is a guess (though it may be an educated one). Any stocks lying with the dealer are going to be a direct monetary loss to the company.

While you expect the stocks to be readily available, if you went to a dealer and asked for a Swift, and if he replied that he has a December 2009 model ready with him, would you buy it at the same price as for a March 2010 model? I doubt it. Any discounts that you are going to claim on this model only because its manufacturing date is four months older is a loss to the dealer and in turn Maruti.

You see, a December 2009 model is still regarded as 2009 model, while a Jan 2010 model will be a 2010 model. Even if they are separated by just a month, the price differential they will command will be quite significant.
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:20   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why do cars in India have waiting periods?

On one hand, the auto industry was crying hoarse asking for GST reduction and shutting down factories due to low sales. And now, everyone is announcing price hikes and quoting waiting period in months (and years!). Makes me wonder which is true.

In the past three months, we have witnessed good revival in sales. New launches have been getting very good bookings - cases such as Magnite, Thar, i20, Sonet, Creta. And we hear months of waiting period to get our hands on such popular models!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
Some have been asking about waiting period for Kia Sonet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Looks like the Creta SX(O) IVT’s waiting period has increased to 10 months.
However, what's more surprising is the long waiting periods for existing models (atleast >1 year old). Waiting period of 3-4 months is crazy. For a model like Nexon which sells 5k units per month, shouldn't Tata ramp up the production easily to meet this demand? Or like Skoda says, they have sold enough for this year and we should look elsewhere

I wonder if one should write the car in his/her will in case they don't get to see the car in person. Back in the 70s and 80s there was a saying that you book a car or scooter and your son would take the delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenp View Post
I happened to book a Nexon Petrol Automatic XZA+ (O) on Dec 5th with Adishakthi Motors, Bengaluru. I was told 8-10 weeks of waiting time upfront. I enquired across multiple showrooms across Bengaluru to confirm and all of them said 8 weeks atleast. Today when i called the SA, i was told that a car which was booked on Oct-10th was billed yesterday (21 Dec 20). So it looks like Nexon is seeing a waiting time of 2.5 months or more. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
Some have been asking about waiting period for Kia Seltos.
Numbers like 10 months waiting is unbelievable. Is it a deliberate ploy to force people to choose another variant or even a different car? I fail to understand how an OEM can be strapped to commit a delivery date almost a year done the line, that too for a mainstream model without any customization!

Last edited by ashis89 : 22nd December 2020 at 13:21.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:41   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why do cars in India have waiting periods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Numbers like 10 months waiting is unbelievable. Is it a deliberate ploy to force people to choose another variant or even a different car? I fail to understand how an OEM can be strapped to commit a delivery date almost a year done the line, that too for a mainstream model without any customization!
I feel this is just to show that there is massive demand/ its a popular car but actually the car is delivered early itself so customer feels happy. I still remember back in Sept 2013 when we had booked an EcoSport the waiting period had risen to 13 months. The SE was forcing us to change our engine choice, colour choice, etc a lot of times and then saying these combination of engine-colour you will be able to get soon. We stuck to our engine and colour choice. Got the car in 5 months!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks