Team-BHP - Engine Capacity (cc) or Power (bhp)??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Engine Capacity (cc) or Power (bhp)?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/78766-engine-capacity-cc-power-bhp.html)

I'm starting this thread with an intention to understand what is of more significance to a buyer (or people like us) when either thinking or buying cars.

Are buyers (general and those into automotives) more inclined to the size of the engine or the output of the engine?

What do you like to communicate about the engine to others?
Capacity or Power?

People might have a smaller engine with more power, or might have a bigger engine with lesser power.

I know we would want the best of both. But still, just a thought that came to my mind whether we are obsessed with bigger engines (bada hai to behtar hai) or more power (zyaada hai to achha hai)

Please pour in your views.

Mods: Please merge with appropriate thread if already existing on T-Bhp

I would want more power in as less cc as possible. Huge V8 and V12 is old era. Now people are looking to extract maximum power from minimum cc. I'd prefer a 1.2 litre mill belting out 84 bhp to a 1.8 mill having lesser power than that.

Lesser the cc better will be your FE and with increased power, you have the best of both worlds. The only downside to this, AFAIK, is lesser engine life, but its not like your engine will seize in under 1 lakh km or something.

In Indian driving conditions, torque is what you will be needing more than bhp and cc. The more the torque, the better. Moreover, to aid drivability, the torque has to be available right from 1500 rpm and spread evenly across the rev band. Easy to say, but hard to achieve especially on small capacity motors.

More power, less cc is the way forward.

A small FI engine is the way to go. It reduces overall weight, needs less space, more economical, provides good power along with "big engine like" torque output.

Shan2nu

More power with less CC (eg TSI).

I think the views mentioned above are pretty much in line with what I was thinking (on the personal front)

But then, as a point in case, when speaking about SUV's people do tend to ask Whats the engine capacity. Of course, they do know that the power and torque ratings are what will make the difference (All Premium SUV's today having 3.0liter Dsl Engines except Land Cruiser 200)

But if I were to myself buy an SUV (A Large one), I'd probably ask, about the Engine size perhaps. (V8, V12 or something like that)
And if I were to buy a hatchback, I'm directly going to ask whether its got more power.

Is it that we associate these 2 things (or rather 3 now including torque) according to the type of vehicle?

And yes, please do vote.

Less CC and more power is a good to have option but I would like to have more CC and more power :uncontrol. I am a muscle car fan and any time I would prefer to go for a V6 or a V8. Can you please add the option to have both?please:

Usually (surely in case of petrols) more cc = more fuel comsumption. So if an engine gives more power for a less capacity, it is not only lighter but also more fuel efficient for every BHP it produces making it an obvious choice.

America has always loved their V6s & V8s and so have the American manufacturers. But here's a clear indication of how even they are moving to lower capacity engines yet making sure they get similar power. Chevy Cruze gasoline (in India it is still available only in diesel) in most parts of the world gets a 1.6 or 1.8 L 4-cyl engine. One would expect in America, it would have atleast a V6. Surprise surprise... they are putting in a 1.4 L 4 - cyl turbocharged engine! That means less cc but more power.

Also remember that an engine with more CC has to rev lower to produce the same power as a low CC and high BHP engine which makes for a better engine life and more drivalibilty. For example the third gear of a Corvette Z06 is good for 20 - 180 Kmph and the engine, 7.0 Ltr V8, makes 470 Lb Ft of torque at 4800 RPM and 505 BHP at 6300 RPM.

Compare this witha 4 Ltr V8 of a Ferrari or a BMW and you will see the difference between European and American engine design philosophies.

No replacement for displacement!!

Quote:

Also remember that an engine with more CC has to rev lower to produce the same power
This is only true when you compare 2 engines of the same type.

A smaller engine with FI can produce similar power and torque output as a bigger NA engine at the same rpm. And this advantage is whats attracting manufacturers and customers alike.

Shan2nu

More power (BHP & Torque) with less CC.

BHP any day. I remember the Old 3.0 Engines of the safari which were lethargic compared to their 2.2 counterparts.

Small powerful engines for me. The only advantage of a huge capacity engine is that the engine feels less strained while cruising.

Depends.

If what one thrives on is the "look-I've-got-more-CC-than-you" factor, then CC is what counts. And you'd be amazed at the number of auto-ignorants (who, unfortunately, have all the CC-buying muscle too :Frustrati) who base their purchase (and the after-purchase small talk) on the "liter count"!

Or we can think of it like this ... how does all the CC manifest? As power. As BHPs! So what ultimately matters?

The BHPs!

Like I said, depends on the perspective. For me, the BHP. Definitely.

Id rather have a 2.0L Evo X rather than a 5.7L Chrysler 300C.